CD61241D-EA03-4047-88D4-D4137DF72FA7.jpeg
55EE8325-3FED-4C13-B75D-0237ED1D004F.jpeg

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many parking levels down this will go? I wonder if the leveled out portion is the bottom?

I'm excited to see this one get going, hopefully it draws some much needed attention to the area.

The location just feels kind of... weird. I know 11th and 11th is two blocks away, but it's completely surrounded by gravel parking lots and desolate single story retail. One thing illustrates what I mean the best: the existence of 13th St.
1639160380707.png

With zero exaggeration, the only purpose this street serves is to divide land with roadway. What planner in their right mind looks at this and says, "yeah, this is necessary."

I'm excited to see this one get going, hopefully it draws some much needed attention to the area.

The location just feels kind of... weird. I know 11th and 11th is two blocks away, but it's completely surrounded by gravel parking lots and desolate single story retail. One thing illustrates what I mean the best: the existence of 13th St.
View attachment 368162
With zero exaggeration, the only purpose this street serves is to divide land with roadway. What planner in their right mind looks at this and says, "yeah, this is necessary."
It's a weird part of the core. Urban, but not urban. It so badly needs development, especially on the southwest corners of 11th and 14th and 12th ave 14th. also on some other nearby lots.
1639165509552.png

View attachment 368162
I think 13th street exists so that the lanes don't front onto 14th Street. Otherwise the street is useless

I think 13th street exists so that the lanes don't front onto 14th Street. Otherwise the street is useless
It's also to provide left hand turns on 11 Ave for traffic going NB on 14 St since there's no left turning allowed between the 13 ave and the river. How many drivers know, and utilize this though?

That area as a whole needs a whole reimagining. And 10 Ave / 14 St needs to have an all turns movement intersection upgrade.

The redone ARP for Sunalta, updated when the C-train went in, called for an all-turns access. I think the grade/slope of 14th though prevents it, as it would make the sight lines too danergous. Not 100% sure though.

There's probably a bit of Calgary's historic quirk between N/S grid v. downtown CP rail corridor grid at work here with 13 Street SW.

14th Street is directly North-South, while all surrounding streets are at the CP rail grid which is few degrees off of North-South. 13th Street would get pinched out if it was extended. Same thing is in effect of why there's no 16th Avenue SW east of 7th Street, and why 3rd Street doesn't exist in the Beltline but does in downtown (4th Street SW has the same N-S alignment as 14th so messes up the CP rail corridor grid again).

Back