News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

YYC stats for 2022 show 14.5M passengers for the year, meaning it's at 81% of what it was pre-pandemic. YYC still isn't showing the stats for December on their website yet.

Great to see YYC bouncing back and headed for even more international traffic. I think it’s fair to say that Canada’s big four airports is where the action is going to be in the future. It’s a trend that’s been happening for some time now. Winnipeg, Halifax, and Ottawa have flatlined for the last 20 years, and Edmonton hasn’t fared much better. I wouldn’t be surprised if they go stagnant. Also, maybe not as bad as Ottawa Winnipeg but I have a feeling they’re not gonna see very much growth.

View attachment 445668

I think you're probably right and 2022's numbers more or less show it. You can see Montreal and Calgary shooting upward, while Edmonton, Ottawa and Winnipeg are lackluster. Next year will be a better indicator, as things should be fully back to normal by then, but I tend to agree about the trend for Canada's airports, where it becomes a system of 4 major airports, and a bunch of 'regional' style airports. The one that shocks me is Ottawa, and from what I've heard there isn't even one overseas flight from Ottawa.

1675976089711.png

1675976049692.png

Wow, almost 3 times the traffic of Edmonton and almost 5 times the traffic of Ottawa and Winnipeg.

I think you're probably right and 2022's numbers more or less show it. You can see Montreal and Calgary shooting upward, while Edmonton, Ottawa and Winnipeg are lackluster. Next year will be a better indicator, as things should be fully back to normal by then, but I tend to agree about the trend for Canada's airports, where it becomes a system of 4 major airports, and a bunch of 'regional' style airports. The one that shocks me is Ottawa, and from what I've heard there isn't even one overseas flight from Ottawa.

Edmonton won't flat-line as quickly as Ottawa and Winnipeg, but I agree, over the long term their future isn't great. I see it becoming more of a feeder airport for Calgary.

Last edited:
General PR fluff, but good to see the new CEO has big visions.

And in other news a few extra flights bewtween Calgary and Windsor
3 Billion in debt... cool, cool, cool.

3 Billion in debt... cool, cool, cool.
Unfortunate timing, with the cost of the new terminal and covid coming not long after. The new terminal cost around $1.5 billion and of course covid would have been a heavy hit. Hopefully they can make they way back out of it now that passenger levels are getting close to pre-pandemic levels.

Really? I can list so many things wrong with this airport! Where do I start? 🤦
The list isn't so much which airport is the best, but rather which airport sucks the least lol.

seriously though, as much as YYC has its issues, every airport I've been to in the last few years has issues. YYC has been a pretty good experience for the most part.

Back