News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

I'd imagine if WS had more 787s coming in they'd first increase frequency on exisiting routes (like ICN, BCN, DUB) before adding new ones.

In other news, WS announced a new destination for winter. Tulum (TQO), Mexico flying weekly on Saturdays starting November 9th:
WS2320 YYC 08:55 - 15:40 TQO 737 6
WS2321 TQO 14:45 - 18:56 YYC 737 6

If I was WS, I'd have to evaluate whether it is sustainable to have up to 10 787s in an arrival and departure bank from a current 6/7 with a simultaneous volume heading to and from the USA. They'd have to think about a second lounge in the international area, and one in the USA area to handle the super connecting from the west coast. The number of gates may also be a problem. Crazy to think about.

YYC is slammed at peak hours and the customer experience is hitting turbulence.

If I was WS, I'd have to evaluate whether it is sustainable to have up to 10 787s in an arrival and departure bank from a current 6/7 with a simultaneous volume heading to and from the USA. They'd have to think about a second lounge in the international area, and one in the USA area to handle the super connecting from the west coast. The number of gates may also be a problem. Crazy to think about.

YYC is slammed at peak hours and the customer experience is hitting turbulence.
They can definitely use an expanded Aspire lounge too. In terms of the overall airport I think it's still well suited for the capacity, especially compared to YYZ/YVR at peak times. There was talk of a domestic renovation pre-Covid that I'd like to see revived.

The Airport Authority is exploring the possibility of new routes at the Routes American 2023 conference.

The 3 routes are
-New Orleans (MSY)
-Baltimore (BWI)
-Philadelphia (PHL)

PHL seems realistic for a year round connection as it’s a major east coast hub, MSY is one ive seen coming for a while now, likely would be a summer seasonal.

The Airport Authority is exploring the possibility of new routes at the Routes American 2023 conference.

The 3 routes are
-New Orleans (MSY)
-Baltimore (BWI)
-Philadelphia (PHL)

PHL seems realistic for a year round connection as it’s a major east coast hub, MSY is one ive seen coming for a while now, likely would be a summer seasonal.
I'm surprised there is no direct flight to Mexico City as of 2024. We used to have one back in the day but I'm surprised neither Aeromexico or Westjet have proposed a future service.

I'm surprised there is no direct flight to Mexico City as of 2024. We used to have one back in the day but I'm surprised neither Aeromexico or Westjet have proposed a future service.
Politics. The old airport is currently not allowed to add new routes and the new airport doesn’t support a network effect yet so you’re stuck with O&D to a much less convenient airport. It is a worse version of Dorval vs Mirabel or Washington National vs Dulles or LaGuardia vs JFK & Newark.

People will instead pay with time and connect instead. Many will actually end up ahead due to the poor transport connections to the new airport.

I've known quite a few people who have gone to New Orleans for trips.

The 3 routes are
-New Orleans (MSY)
-Baltimore (BWI)
-Philadelphia (PHL)

I can see New Orleans maybe seeing success, similar to what we've seen with Nashville. It's amazing how a direct flight can draw people to a destination. I've known so many people who have gone to places like Rome, Tokyo, Nashville, etc.. after the direct option became available.

I've known quite a few people who have gone to New Orleans for trips.

I can see New Orleans maybe seeing success, similar to what we've seen with Nashville. It's amazing how a direct flight can draw people to a destination. I've known so many people who have gone to places like Rome, Tokyo, Nashville, etc.. after the direct option became available.
I know quite a few people who have taken advantage of the new Tokyo flights to visit Japan (the exchange rate with the Yen is also quite favorable at the moment, making it a very affordable proposition).

I'd love a New Orleans direct flight. It's a city I know and love, and would doubtlessly visit more often if it didn't mean a stopover in Houston or Dallas.

I could be wrong but hasn't WS attempted YYC-MSY in the past?

In the case of PHL, perhaps if AA does well on CLT maybe we could see it?

Of all unserved cities in the US from YYC, MSY is definitely top of my list. Could be up there with Nashville in terms of taking people to new places because of direct flights

Last edited:
Video from Alex Praglowski covering the inaugural flight to Seoul. He makes some interesting comments regarding the fleet of 7 x 787s and I tend to agree with him. WS can still focus on going the 737 route, but if they are going to service this many overseas destinations, there going to need to increase the widebody fleet, even if by one 787 or they'll get caught.

Back