News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

My family and I flew into LHR. Took the train all over Europe and flew home from Barcelona. So handy having direct WS flights all over Europe. The flight home had people from all over the world saw lots of different passports at customs.
Plane sitting at Terminal 2 @ BCN
The other thing I noticed when flying to Rome last fall, was how many people on the plane were from other nearby areas, and shows that Westjet's plan to use their busy network around the west to channel people through Calgary seems to be working. The people around us on the flight were from Edmonton, Regina, Kamloops among others.

The other thing I noticed when flying to Rome last fall, was how many people on the plane were from other nearby areas, and shows that Westjet's plan to use their busy network around the west to channel people through Calgary seems to be working. The people around us on the flight were from Edmonton, Regina, Kamloops among others.
Haven't been on any international flights out of YYC but I imagine the transfer experience is probably less busy and hectic compare to YVR or YYZ? Took a departure out of the international terminal once and it was really enjoyable, but that may just be because it was a late flight.
Calgary is definitely becoming a really strong secondary hub airport, similar to Seattle for Alaskan airlines. With the cutback of smaller routes by AC, WestJet basically agreed to give AC all the Eastern and YYZ-international traffic in exchange for them exiting the smaller Western markets.

My family and I flew into LHR. Took the train all over Europe and flew home from Barcelona. So handy having direct WS flights all over Europe. The flight home had people from all over the world saw lots of different passports at customs.
Plane sitting at Terminal 2 @ BCNView attachment 501522
On a side note… this jet blew an engine at LHR the day after our flight. Had to charter a 747 to bring a new engine over from YYC. Glad it wasn’t on our flight

Saw this on Reddit and thought you airport nerds might be interested. The title is a bit misleading as this is mostly related to international flights but still thought it was worth sharing.

Disappointing if true, but I think direct AC international flights from YYC are pretty limited. I took the Frankfurt flight this summer and I’ve taken the London flight in past years (which WJ offers). Outside of that I think AC flies direct to Cancun, which WJ (and SW) flies.

The news is true, an email was sent out to YYC based staff today.

YYC-FRA is being replaced by Lufthansa subsidiary Eurowings, which will now go year round and is 6x weekly in the winter, and will go 12x weekly in the summer.

LAX, YOW and YHZ are likely reactionary to a Lynx and Porter building up, there no point in AC fighting on medium yielding routes with 3-4 other airlines and using what limited pilot resources they have there when they can be better utilized else where.

I could see HNL and CUN returning sooner rather than later as-well.

Westjet has increased YYC-CDG to 5x weekly this winter.

AC has also closed their all their sun flying out of YQB so clearly they are having issues connecting through there 3 main hubs. These cuts seem semi-permanent until these labour issues are sorted out. Until then, AC clearly doesn't have the capacity 4 hub’s especially a fourth that is dominated by another airline.

This is evident to me that these are likely temporary suspensions due to a pilot shortage and we could see them back in a year or two. In the meantime expect Westjet to continue building up. If there’s any consideration at all for them to acquire addition long haul frames now is a good a time as ever.

Until then we can see if Porter or Lynx decides to hop on these TB and domestic routes while there is a minuscule opening in airline operations, to me this is not a question on if but when.

Last edited:
The news is true, an email was sent out to YYC based staff today.

YYC-FRA is being replaced by Lufthansa subsidiary Eurowings, which will now go year round and is 6x weekly in the winter, and will go 12x weekly in the summer.

LAX, YOW and YHZ are likely reactionary to a Lynx and Porter building up, there no point in AC fighting on medium yielding routes with 3-4 other airlines and using what limited pilot resources they have there when they can be better utilized else where.

I could see HNL and CUN returning sooner rather than later as-well.

Westjet has increased YYC-CDG to 5x weekly this winter.

AC has also closed their all their sun flying out of YQB so clearly they are having issues connecting through there 3 main hubs. These cuts seem semi-permanent until these labour issues are sorted out. Until then, AC clearly doesn't have the capacity 4 hub’s especially a fourth that is dominated by another airline.

This is evident to me that these are likely temporary suspensions due to a pilot shortage and we could see them back in a year or two. In the meantime expect Westjet to continue building up. If there’s any consideration at all for them to acquire addition long haul frames now is a good a time as ever.

Until then we can see if Porter or Lynx decides to hop on these TB and domestic routes while there is a minuscule opening in airline operations, to me this is not a question on if but when.

Seems unlikely that YYC will ever return as an AC hub - I would bet we end up like Denver with one mainline hub (Westjet = United) and a couple discount carriers (Porter/Lynx = Southwest/Frontier). Beyond YVR/YYZ/YUL flights AC will be hard to find at YYC. Maybe the exception is YYC-LHR because they don't want to lose those slots at LHR.

I have a question for anyone who has flown Westjet to Charles De Gaulle. Is it possible to purchase a lounge pass at the airport? I'm flying to Lisbon via CDG soon and on the trip back home have a 5.5 hr lay over and hope to utilize a lounge if possible. Flying economy and only level "Teal" with my Westjet credit card.

Disappointed to see AC pulling out. Sucks for those who have been aeroplan members as I use the points regularly for travel on AC. Will be more difficult with fewer options. I wish westjet rewards was a better program. Does it still make sense for AC to keep the maple leave Lounge?

I have a question for anyone who has flown Westjet to Charles De Gaulle. Is it possible to purchase a lounge pass at the airport? I'm flying to Lisbon via CDG soon and on the trip back home have a 5.5 hr lay over and hope to utilize a lounge if possible. Flying economy and only level "Teal" with my Westjet credit card.
On the trip home the YOTEL has a lounge. Looks like you might be able to pay? I have 3 hours with priority pass via a credit card. Ymmv

Shouldn't be surprised at the oligopolies asserting their market power as it is the Canadian way. Hopefully a Pollievre government would make some progress on opening up passenger air travel, telecom, media, dairy and poultry to competition. Doing so for air travel would likely require repealing the Air Canada Act, which would only be possible for a government with negligible Quebec support.

Seems unlikely that YYC will ever return as an AC hub - I would bet we end up like Denver with one mainline hub (Westjet = United) and a couple discount carriers (Porter/Lynx = Southwest/Frontier). Beyond YVR/YYZ/YUL flights AC will be hard to find at YYC. Maybe the exception is YYC-LHR because they don't want to lose those slots at LHR.
Calgary’s a good sized city but probably not big enough to be a hub airport for 2 airlines and I’m not sure it ever made sense for AC to have 4 hubs. Their long term preference would always be to use the main cities.
Calgary will be like a Denver (United) or Minneapolis (Delta) for comparison, but for a city our size it’s not the worst thing to happen. At the end of the day we have world class direct flights that few, if any cities our size have.
Because of Westjet’s solid reach in the west, those international flights are going to be a good viable choice for western Canadians. I mean it’s a no brainer to transfer at Calgary instead of Toronto if you live in the west. Vancouver doesn’t have some of the direct flights we do, so it would also be a no brainer to transfer through Calgary for those flights.

To be honest the problem is inefficient allocation of pilots due to competition requiring a lot of training and slow ramp up of pilot workload. Combined with many retirements during COVID. Eventually inefficient allocation will be solved, but adding frames for Lynx, Porter, and Flair plus growth at the legacies doesn’t come at zero cost to the market.

Back