News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Seems like WS has taken almost the flying over from YYC- Delta Hubs. SLC the last one now?
As someone with family in the SLC area, can't wait for this to happen. The DL direct flights are E175 and incredibly expensive ($600-$900 for a 1.5 hr flight RT). I see that once WJ starts flying MSP, the prices for those dates go from $800+ to $350.

In case anyone missed it from the previous page, YYC stats for May. Domestic down very slightly, but Transborder and International up, and by huge gains.

1719367156611.png

1719367188207.png

Anywhere a person can find updates on the runway project?
YYC facebook page posted on July 22nd that phase 1 was complete and phase 2 had started. This involves the closure of the intersection of runways 17R/35L and 11/29. There is about 7600' of runway 17R/35L now available to departures and arrivals when capable.

YYC facebook page posted on July 22nd that phase 1 was complete and phase 2 had started. This involves the closure of the intersection of runways 17R/35L and 11/29. There is about 7600' of runway 17R/35L now available to departures and arrivals when capable.
You can see the current work progress well in recent satellite imagery. Along with the work and extension north on runway 17R/35L, it also looks to be a sizeable extension to runway 11/29 on either end to help with those strong chinook wind days.
Screenshot 2024-08-01 145953.png

Wesjet is reporting that 16 of their planes received significant Hail damage from the storm to the point that they required maintenance before returning to flight. Looks like this is the reason most flights have been cancelled lately not because of the Terminals damage itself.

Wesjet is reporting that 16 of their planes received significant Hail damage from the storm to the point that they required maintenance before returning to flight. Looks like this is the reason most flights have been cancelled lately not because of the Terminals damage itself.

What about other airlines on the ground at the time, ie: AC, etc? Did they also experience aircraft damage?

June stats for YYC. Domestic still sluggish, but trans-border and international looking strong.
Domestic numbers are down for all major airports in Canada, not just for June, but YTD. I don't know the reason, but from what I'm hearing I'm guessing prices are part of it as I've heard a lot of complaining about the price of domestic flights. I'm also wondering if we are only seeing a drop after the pent up demand built up after covid. Whatever the case, the 8 busiest airports in Canada are all seeing drops in domestic numbers.

I did read in livewire that the terminal B has no timeline for when it might reopen.

I am normally not one to say this (as they cancelled a flight of mine to Mexico this spring) but WestJet cannot catch a break. It is very difficult to manage that many cancellations, they definitely didn't do it well at all but I can't imagine what the actual people on the ground and at the call centres are having to navigate through.

Something needs to be done to get the airline industry pointed in the right direction. Two proper airlines that are barely profitable, even with high prices, is not best for the public or tourism. My wife and I post covid travelled a lot more, now unless we get a very good deal we do not fly.

What about other airlines on the ground at the time, ie: AC, etc? Did they also experience aircraft damage?
AC also had a few damages, I think 4. But obviously they have less aircrafts parked at YYC compared to WJ at any given time.
Something needs to be done to get the airline industry pointed in the right direction. Two proper airlines that are barely profitable, even with high prices, is not best for the public or tourism. My wife and I post covid travelled a lot more, now unless we get a very good deal we do not fly.
WJ is private but AC stock price is currently below their lows reached in Covid, With pilot and staff pay catching up to the US, prices will be even more under pressure in years to come. For a country where air travel is necessary for many people, a rethink of the funding model for airports is necessary.

a rethink of the funding model for airports is necessary.
I'd go bigger; a comprehensive and cohesive transportation plan is necessary. I'm talking rail and air. Granted HSR is much more difficult to justify in the west but out east someone needs to standup and properly plan our transportation networks. And eventually, if we want to improve our living standard, HSR between bigger western cities is important (Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, Kelowna, Kamloops, and Vancouver). If we continue to concentrate our growth in so few cities, those tier 2 cities will begin to become unaffordable as well.

Back