JesseLikesCities

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
From 2013:
Ministry of Transportation:
Rob Penny, deputy minister

Penny: The corridor itself has the highest trip generation in North American city pairs, about three to four times the Toronto-Montreal trip generation rate. [In 2006 at the time of our study] the population of the Calgary-Edmonton corridor [was] around 2 and a half million – remember this is 2006, so they haven’t been updated, okay? – travel in the corridor is equivalent to a population of 8 million to 10 million people.

Do you have any more information on this @darwink? I'm even having a tough time digesting the definition "Trip Generation" in this sense. I find it interesting as I remember awhile back I was following the I45 on Google Earth between Dallas and Houston and noticing large swaths of it was only four lanes. I found that quite remarkable considering both metros are over 7 million. I think what spurred my interest in checking that out was noticing how busy the QEII is all the damn time. Among other things, is obviously a testament to the economic juggernaut that the Calgary-Edmonton corridor is relating to other Canadian regions.

darwink

Member Bio
Reaction score
Do you have any more information on this @darwink? I'm even having a tough time digesting the definition "Trip Generation" in this sense. I find it interesting as I remember awhile back I was following the I45 on Google Earth between Dallas and Houston and noticing large swaths of it was only four lanes. I found that quite remarkable considering both metros are over 7 million. I think what spurred my interest in checking that out was noticing how busy the QEII is all the damn time. Among other things, is obviously a testament to the economic juggernaut that the Calgary-Edmonton corridor is relating to other Canadian regions.
There is some in the economic reports the province did in the late 2000s.

The main thing to visualize is most of the USA is in a grid. So urban-urban trips are generated in all directions between all centres.
4 cities in a grid, 1 million each. Think of each arrow as 4,000 trips each day, each direction.
1627663483233.png

In Alberta due to our relative isolation from other centres, our relative prosperity for a long time (running what may have been close to the densest air service on the planet in the 70s between the cores of each city, building a 4 lane highway decades before it was 'needed' to speed up travel significantly), and the development of specialization over time we have much stronger links.

Even if only 70% of trips are now taken due to a variety of factors, we have this instead:
1627663882852.png