News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Meh. Man from Banff will benefit from infrastructure that serves Banff, news at 11? Press Progress just doesn't like P3s in general.

Interesting article on this proposal.

‘Layer cake of conflicts of interest’ on Calgary-Banff rail project that is asking for $30 million a year for 50 years from Alberta government​

If we are going to get upset about a cabal of UCP insiders scheming over rib roast at a fancy hotel, there are a lot worse things they could be up to than planning a huge public transit project.

The thought was that Parks Canada would appreciate the road closure to reduce environmental impact and then accept the minimal impact of the gondola. Turned out, not so much.
It's weird - seems like that's something that could have been discussed/compromised. It wouldn't make a ton of sense to close the road for public use...I'd think they'd want to still utilize some of the parking capacity up top (perhaps charging for it).

It's weird - seems like that's something that could have been discussed/compromised. It wouldn't make a ton of sense to close the road for public use...I'd think they'd want to still utilize some of the parking capacity up top (perhaps charging for it).
Dialog procedures for government are pretty lacking in general-my understanding was this was a left hand right hand situation where different levels of parks canada had different understandings.

Dialog procedures for government are pretty lacking in general-my understanding was this was a left hand right hand situation where different levels of parks canada had different understandings.
That makes sense; Parks Canada is just a weird department given the breadth/variety of parks and the inherent contradictions of their mandate. Lake Louise Ski Resort has shown that it is possible to move projects forward, though, not to mention Brewsters Skywalk.

On the other hand, the Scurfields (SSV) seem pretty delusional and entitled, so it wouldn't be at all surprising if the Waterous's are similar.

The Banff rail proponents and the Calgary Airport Authority sign an MOU.

Some renderings released simultaneously:
D05201E0-8FC3-41B1-A81E-3751806D4A5A.jpeg
097FF92F-3477-4768-87DB-5D8303256534.jpeg
F844581C-3E5A-4124-948B-15297E256D71.jpeg
0CB1D772-7484-49FE-8AEB-0AAC71E483C3.jpeg
2BFCFEB1-CDBD-4B91-AB0E-9D7AE39BFB74.jpeg
9AEAF055-EE4D-41C0-83A0-FA717601B8A2.jpeg
6991FB94-BF9F-45D2-A223-9D06E8F12699.jpeg
5416B377-B1E1-43F6-AD6D-4180EE545F79.jpeg
6CE2082D-B5A7-4385-8178-BAF8FABB184C.jpeg
28315087-E118-443A-B872-1D2FF54D90A8.jpeg
C0228739-9EFB-4AA7-8AF6-E9AEC530B60B.jpeg

I know the previous announcements talked about "YYC to Banff" service, but I assumed as they got further into the design, the heavy rail would end near Deerfoot, and they would be transferring to a people mover connection to the terminal, as recommended in the Blue/Green LRT connection studies.

One seat all the way to the terminal is obviously a much nicer experience, but it's also much more expensive up front.

With $100 WCS the provincial government definitely will have the funds to do this, even if it actually costs $5 billion instead of $1 billion. Seems like a good way to buy votes in Calgary too, where the UCP needs them. Interested to see how this develops.

These renderings have me all turned around, how is this integrating with the airport? Also, these renderings are awful and how I imagine it would look if it was proposed in 1997. Guess Liricon has had this idea cooking for awhile...

These renderings have me all turned around, how is this integrating with the airport? Also, these renderings are awful and how I imagine it would look if it was proposed in 1997. Guess Liricon has had this idea cooking for awhile...
Okay, I figured it out from their instagram post:

"banff_eco_transit_hub
We are pleased to announce that Liricon/Plenary and the Calgary Airport Authority (YYC) have formalized a partnership with a signed Memorandum of Understanding.

@fly_yyc sees the Calgary Airport to Banff Rail (CABR) as a potential foundation to build a multi-modal transit hub within a large, mixed-use commercial, residential development it is planning at the airport. Further details will be determined in CABR’s Design Phase. The video above shows the potential airport station between the Sheraton Hotel and the International Parking Garage."

Interesting they mention that yyc want residential development to be part of their future plans... but anyways they describe the station as being between the Sheraton (its not a Sheraton, its a Marriot/Delta, funny they got that wrong) Hotel and the International Parking Garage. I've done quick paint drawing to show where the post and the renderings depict the station being located.

yyctobanff.jpg

Okay, I figured it out from their instagram post:

"banff_eco_transit_hub
We are pleased to announce that Liricon/Plenary and the Calgary Airport Authority (YYC) have formalized a partnership with a signed Memorandum of Understanding.

@fly_yyc sees the Calgary Airport to Banff Rail (CABR) as a potential foundation to build a multi-modal transit hub within a large, mixed-use commercial, residential development it is planning at the airport. Further details will be determined in CABR’s Design Phase. The video above shows the potential airport station between the Sheraton Hotel and the International Parking Garage."

Interesting they mention that yyc want residential development to be part of their future plans... but anyways they describe the station as being between the Sheraton (its not a Sheraton, its a Marriot/Delta, funny they got that wrong) Hotel and the International Parking Garage. I've done quick paint drawing to show where the post and the renderings depict the station being located.

View attachment 384363

Getting the name of the hotel next door wrong seems like a very, very bad sign in terms of how much research has gone into this...

Getting the name of the hotel next door wrong seems like a very, very bad sign in terms of how much research has gone into this...
The Marriott was first announced as a Delta - brands change. They may have let on more than they should. If it is close to cost neutral to the operator, changing to a more internationally known brand might be good. The Delta and the new Westin have been 'unavailable' for some time. A year+ ago, all Delta bookings were shifted to the Marriott, even though the Delta was bookable at a lower price point.

I believe the Westin has been the PHAC extra concern quarantine hotel, and the Delta has been closed.

Reactions: AJX
I thought the AVPA (Airport Vicinity Protection Area) prevented residential from being too close to the airport and their flight paths, due to noise pollution. The AVPA boundaries were recently updated and reduced, however the airport itself is obviously still firmly within them. How do they ever anticipate allowing residential as part of a future development?

I thought the AVPA (Airport Vicinity Protection Area) prevented residential from being too close to the airport and their flight paths, due to noise pollution. The AVPA boundaries were recently updated and reduced, however the airport itself is obviously still firmly within them. How do they ever anticipate allowing residential as part of a future development?

The instagram post seems to have been deleted. Doesn't seem like this one was fully cooked before release...

Back