Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 97 66.9%
  • No

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 6.9%

• Total voters
LOLOL I cant believe this is still a thing. Aside from saying nothing in that diatribe that's different than what was on city website, the biggest winners btwn the elm and the stephenson building were the design team...who with minimal effort score huge political/cultural/art points, and can fill multiple pages on the design brief. (love the stephenson building integration btw, it's the elm that is the dumbest shit)
For the layers of architect and consulting grift that is going into this tree memorial thing - let alone a project with many hundreds of millions in public funding - we probably could have bought 5,000 elms to replace all the street trees within a 10 block radius.

For the layers of architect and consulting grift that is going into this tree memorial thing - let alone a project with many hundreds of millions in public funding - we probably could have bought 5,000 elms to replace all the street trees within a 10 block radius.
Maybe it's my bias or my background in botany,
But that elm was uniquely large and healthy and I'm good with efforts to preserve its genetics by cloning and seed prop.

As with anything, the layers of procedure and bureaucracy make it seem silly and over-done, but the intention is a good one.

But that elm was uniquely large and healthy and I'm good with efforts to preserve its genetics by cloning and seed prop.

As with anything, the layers of procedure and bureaucracy make it seem silly and over-done, but the intention is a good one.
Sure, save the genetics, 100%. But 3D map it at the cost of tens (hundreds??) of thousands and then have it as a signature cultural element for a billion dollar project, that's a bit much. Lets not forget, 100% of wood architecture is from dead trees, which tree it came from, NOBODY cares

This x1000. Trees die, move on, plant new ones

Reactions: Urb

Should have been more clear - as it relates to the overall spending, I don't have an issue with the efforts here about the tree. It's a rounding error of a rounding error in cost and will yield real public benefit. I remain unconvinced about publicly funded stadium deals overall that have a far murkier ROI than planting trees.

I went to a castle in Ireland on which property used to be an old and culturally sensitive tree that had to come down, so they created a wood sculptural carving and an intricately carved wooden bench out of said tree and placed them in the tree’s spot. The results were stunning and seem to be nicely received.

If there's any place in the building to go over the top, it is in the indoor plaza.

I see what Tothewest says, that isn't well depicted in the render but it is all there. Maybe making too much of its depiction.
If a person wants to fill it with "stuff", it defeats the purpose of an open space that is functional outside of event nights. Other "atriums" in milwaukee, phoenix, indiana, deadmonton....they all have different wall colors/finishes, but otherwise they dont appear to be any different than ours

Populous_Gainbridge_Fieldhouse_Atrium-1200x674.89932885906-c-center.jpg
VM_Fiserv_10-a4a1c49a5056a36_a4a1c5a9-5056-a36f-23499f6075d62b42.jpg
Populous_UBSArena_Atrium-1200x674.89932885906-c-center.jpg
X_Footprint-Center_8.jpg

If a person wants to fill it with "stuff", it defeats the purpose of an open space that is functional outside of event nights. Other "atriums" in milwaukee, phoenix, indiana, deadmonton....they all have different wall colors/finishes, but otherwise they dont appear to be any different than ours

View attachment 588255 View attachment 588256 View attachment 588257 View attachment 588258
You've shown what I think is missing, those are all grand because they're vaulted (with the exception of the Phoenix one). You do a better job of getting me to my point than I do.

To me, all of the indoor plazas - ours, and the ones in Indiana, Edmonton, Phoenix, and Milwaukee - look like airport concourses. If there's one thing that I think would be an improvement for Calgary, it would be a bit of extra higher ceiling height. It's fairly high now, but another 6 feet even would kind of open it more.
The glass wall is the thing that I probably care about most for the lobby. My biggest complaint would be not enough natural light, and I think we should have that covered.

Last edited:
I dont really disagree with any of the above, I guess in theory it would have been nice to have a higher ceiling....but ultimately what is the goal of the space? If it's for the public realm, CSEC client events, ect... do you actually want a 4 story roof with space for 400+? There is a new convention centre next door for that type of function. I think a 2 story intimate space for 100-200 is probably more appropriate. We ended up with far more outdoor plaza space then anyone anticipated, so i guess they could have eaten into that for a larger atrium....but I feel the outdoor space is far more flexible and programmable 365.

It has a massive indoor LED screen, curtain wall windows, wood beams, a massive bar, what else are you looking for?

Yeah, it sort of looks like a cramped corner of a convention centre or something despite the high ceilings.

I think maybe it’s the LED screen that is making the space look smaller and more cramped. It looks really cool how it stretches outside the lobby though.

Back