I’ll *try* to remember to get some on my way back from physio today.

No one on site that I saw, but definitely underway again no question.

A0251019-9027-4645-B2BC-C718AD3D8272.jpeg
44A68346-F290-4369-9E34-C5F881334CB6.jpeg
27EF8BAC-43EF-4E9F-A221-B883898581E7.jpeg

I really hope this project gets through to the end. The building is a big part of Calgary history, and it would be nice to see it back in use.
Here's a good read about the building for those interested.

1676605277081.png

The Barron Building in February 1966. (Submitted by Daniel Barron)

1676605325948.png

J.B. Barron, centre, at the early construction of the Barron Building in the late 1940s. (Submitted by Daniel Barron)

1676605395637.png

The Barron Building, lower left of centre in this aerial shot, in the summer of 1953. The building helped expand Calgary's downtown to the west. (Submitted by Daniel Barron)

1676605447496.png

An aerial shot of the Barron Building, bottom centre, facing northeast Calgary in 1951. (Submitted by Daniel Barron)

1676605502122.png

The 11th-floor penthouse at the Barron Building in 1952. (Submitted by Daniel Barron)

1676605569207.png

An interior shot of the Uptown Theatre in August 1951, shortly after it opened. (Submitted by Daniel Barron)

1676605639778.png

The Uptown Theatre in August 1951, shortly after it opened. (Submitted by Daniel Barron)

With the crane base in place I can’t see this not going to completion. That’s a big investment to install that if the job is still in question
My presumption is that Strategic needed to sell UPTEN (the project they had on Macleod Tr S and 10 Ave) and other assets to sell to investors and have more capital to complete The Barron with that money raised News Article (assuming they needed to wait for restructuring to be cash flow positive for construction financing, maybe). Hard to say, and it appears that they still own UPTEN but considering there previous position being primarily struggling A,B and C office space that might have sold, I assume an influx of cash could have been required to secure financing. I could be wrong, maybe they were actually waiting for some income from The Last of Us shooting and were waiting for shooting to be completed to commence.

Either way stoked the project is happening and if the suites are cool i'll consider renting there. Love the building and curious to see how the apartments turn out. Should be an important catalyst for other residential projects in the area.

My presumption is that Strategic needed to sell UPTEN (the project they had on Macleod Tr S and 10 Ave) and other assets to sell to investors and have more capital to complete The Barron with that money raised News Article (assuming they needed to wait for restructuring to be cash flow positive for construction financing, maybe). Hard to say, and it appears that they still own UPTEN but considering there previous position being primarily struggling A,B and C office space that might have sold, I assume an influx of cash could have been required to secure financing. I could be wrong, maybe they were actually waiting for some income from The Last of Us shooting and were waiting for shooting to be completed to commence.

Either way stoked the project is happening and if the suites are cool i'll consider renting there. Love the building and curious to see how the apartments turn out. Should be an important catalyst for other residential projects in the area.

Strategic went into bankruptcy protection a couple years ago and was forced to liquidate a large portion of its office portfolio. The primary lender (Telus Pension Plan) now owns most of those assets. AFAIK, they still own UpTen.

I remember seeing the original plans for the suites. They were going to be upscale. Since then, the cost per square foot has gone way up I am sure. Unlike other office building conversions, this one was pretty much gutted on the inside. Here is an article from last year.
Of note are these statements.
"The Barron building’s interior fixtures cannot be incorporated into the redevelopment, as they cannot satisfy current building and safety codes.
The theatres have been removed, as has the curved stairway. The building’s elevators and pullies are gone as well."

Last edited:
View attachment 456916
The 11th-floor penthouse at the Barron Building in 1952. (Submitted by Daniel Barron)

They should really try to recreate some Mid-Century Modern vibe.

Some more photos of the Barron building. On a positive note, not so much for me, but for the forum. We’ve been told that employees will be required to come into office at least two days a week. It’s only a block away from the Barron building, so I should be able to give regular updates.

DAD855F6-D3CA-42E5-973F-9973EB49B1CC.jpeg
0CE34CAB-334D-4211-9B00-B275C01CF38B.jpeg
CA4E0620-BCB0-4FB7-81C9-FAFA6309133C.jpeg
D7B15C86-81F2-43E7-899B-4DEF205AE95D.jpeg

Back