News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

With all the talk of streetcars in Calgary, I decided to dig around and see what the city has actually come up with in terms of potential routes.

The first and probably the most likely to be built is the SW line connecting MRU to the Blue line:
View attachment 397704

Although this is far from being a sure thing, as far as I can tell this is the most likely to actually get built one day and could serve as a really good launching point for streetcars in Calgary. I'm guessing once the Greenline has mostly wrapped up, the city might start looking more seriously at improving inner city connections.

The only other document I could find from the city is this report from 2014: https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=25143
View attachment 397707View attachment 397708View attachment 397709View attachment 397710

All in all, I think my fully built out ideal line would start at the 4st SE green line station and go south along Olympic drive past the new stadium, then turning onto 17th avenue past the BMO and following 17th all the way up to 37th street (thus connecting to Westbrook) and the following the proposed alignment to MRU. This alignment would mean the streetcar line connects to the Green line (4th street), the Red line (Victoria Park) and the Blue line (Westbrook) while also connecting the Event center, BMO, 17th ave, Westbrook, MRU and Currie in one shot!
You don't know what you've got until it's gone. Sad that Calgary had streetcars but got rid of them. I'm getting a new job in the beltline and was surprised to see it would take 40 minutes to get downtown from Garrison Woods on a bus. It's a 10 minute drive. I'll still take the bus, but I'm sure with a street car it would've been quicker.

Last edited:
With all the talk of streetcars in Calgary, I decided to dig around and see what the city has actually come up with in terms of potential routes.

The first and probably the most likely to be built is the SW line connecting MRU to the Blue line:
The Route Ahead update from 2020 provided some additional details. It is ranked #3 in terms of benefits behind the 52 St BRT and 301 improvements.

1651704943333.png

The Route Ahead update from 2020 provided some additional details. It is ranked #3 in terms of benefits behind the 52 St BRT and 301 improvements.

View attachment 397987
"if Westbrook mall doesn't redevelop;" its honestly surprising how this doesn't take off. There's an underground train station directly connected to downtown?! This section of the SW is very weird to me; it has a lot to like (transit, close to the mountains, etc.) but really any development is very piecemealed.

The developer overpaid for the land, and now it is hard for them to make money on the project. It is stuck in development hell until someone has the internal pull to write down the asset, so the site can either move forward or be sold.

Same developer as the Inglewood Brewery site which has sat for even longer but now seems to be moving. So perhaps there is hope.

1651992628573.png

This right here is such a great microcosm of why our transit system is terrible. Spending $300M on a streetcar that then costs $9M a year, serving something that today doesn't apparently warrant even a bus every 20 minutes.

Here's an operating cost estimate for this using the current MAX infrastructure. What does it cost per revenue hour for a transit bus? It used to be a convenient $100 an hour, but a few years ago had trended closer to $125 and adding in inflation, let's say $150 per hour as a reasonable estimate. (It's depressingly hard to find these sorts of basic metrics here in Canada, but this is based on at least one study I've seen.) It takes about 15 minutes to go from Westbrook to MRU; the existing Teal MAX service is scheduled at 11 to 13 minutes, but it's good to round up so that there's a little margin for driver breaks / headway maintenance and because it makes for easy to remember schedules. So each round trip from Westbrook to MRU takes 1/2 an hour and costs $75.

Currently, the MAX runs a bus every 23 minutes on weekdays, from roughly 6 AM to 11 PM, and a bus every 30 minutes on weekends, from 6 AM to 8 PM. (Universities are famously quiet on Saturday nights.) This is not particularly effected by COVID cuts; the opening day frequencies for MAX on weekdays were 18 minutes peak, "20-25" minutes offpeak, but only 6 AM to 9 PM -- it's probably the exact same number of buses, with a few extra trips for late evening service rather than a few extra peak trips. Weekends have seen a cut in service, from "20-25" minute (read 23) headways up to 30 minutes; I'm actually not sure whether waiting on average 3 minutes less for a bus is actually better for most customers than having a bus come with a predictable schedule, on the half hour. In any case, today's schedule has 44 daily trips on weekdays, and 29 on weekends (and holidays) for a total of 7,168 hours of service, which costs about $1,080,000 per year.

Let's consider increased service; if we go to 15 minute headways, with the same hours, then that's going to cost $1,760,000 per year. Okay, let's go to 10 minutes on weekdays and run an extra hour later; let's run weekends 3 hours longer, until 11 PM. That's $2,610,000 per year. What if we go to 5 minutes for peak periods on weekdays, and 10 minutes otherwise, and run until 1 AM? That's better service than the Blue Line! It's $3,430,000. Which is barely one third of the operating cost above. Even a (ridiculously) intense service of 5 minute headways, 5 AM to 2 AM; more frequent at 1 AM than the LRT at rush hour is only $6,900,000. This table shows the cost estimates:

1651993983079.png

So why would a streetcar cost $9.3 million per year for operating cost? My guess is two main things: 1). streetcars just plain cost more to run - signalling, track maintenance, etc.; the TTC runs streetcars for around $320 per hour, although they also have expensive buses (Toronto is not a cheap city to operate in), streetcars are about 50% more expensive per hour than bus. 2). All of the extra overhead associated with running a bespoke transit service with a handful of vehicles unlike everything else in the fleet; there will need to be a garage (where?) and dedicated mechanics and so on, where adding buses number 151-156 in a depot is a much smaller marginal cost.

The column on the right of my table is 4 times the operating cost; what that represents is the cost to operate the entire Teal MAX at that frequency, since the route takes about 53 minutes one way; round it up to 60 minutes. $9.3 million in additional operating cost (the difference between 'current' and 'frequent') has the entire Teal MAX route running at the 'frequent' service -- 5 minutes in the peaks, 10 minutes offpeaks and weekends, better service than the Blue Line LRT.

That could be done today, without $292,000,000 in capital funding. (It could be done for free by putting $292,000,000 in an endowment and spending the return.) Yes, we'd need to find the operating money, but guess what? We'd need to do that to capitalize on the benefit if a streetcar was built anyways. Or we could do what we did with the MAX lines; waste tens of millions of dollars in capital funding because we can't find the operating money to provide actual decent service. We insist on crippling our transit system because of arbitrary accounting rules dividing between capital and operating. Analogies between government budgets and household budgets are often silly, but can you imagine a household deciding they could afford to buy a BMW SUV because it came out of their ample capital budget, then turn around and decide there was no money in their operating budget for gasoline?

Anything new on the Victoria Park/Stampede station rebuild? There haven't been any updates on that project here since October
From what I've seen, the temporary platform is nearly done. Still need to install overhead lines and track switches, more work might get done this May long.

This article sums up the Calgary Transit Recovery Strategy released a few days ago. Preemptively, I was excited to read this. However, after reading both the summary article and the plan itself (link in the article), there's no fucking hope. And I'm not understanding the title of the article nor their thrilled conclusion. Have a read for yourselves.

One important note from the article is that it's unlikely Calgary will install fare gates because it would take literally 200+ years to pay off as the price tag is set at $400 million. Actually, they would probably never be paid off as maintenance, obsolescence, and cost-overruns would be inevitable. Off the top of my head, I can think of 5 better ways to spend $400 million on Calgary's transit.

I have heard from a reliable source that an updated version of RouteAhead is in the works, so hopefully that contains some forward thinking about our network design and serious attempts at boosting ridership.
RouteAhead contained forward thinking about network design and serious attempts at boosting ridership, and it has been summarily ignored by Council ever since it came out. If you sign up for the Couch to 5K running plan and then just stay on the couch, signing up for a newer, better Couch to 10K running plan isn't going to do you any more good.

This article sums up the Calgary Transit Recovery Strategy released a few days ago. Preemptively, I was excited to read this. However, after reading both the summary article and the plan itself (link in the article), there's no fucking hope. And I'm not understanding the title of the article nor their thrilled conclusion. Have a read for yourselves.

One important note from the article is that it's unlikely Calgary will install fare gates because it would take literally 200+ years to pay off as the price tag is set at $400 million. Actually, they would probably never be paid off as maintenance, obsolescence, and cost-overruns would be inevitable. Off the top of my head, I can think of 5 better ways to spend $400 million on Calgary's transit.

This goes back to my post a few pages ago on transit here

The reason this plan will fail is the same reason Calgary Transit was underperforming before the pandemic - the system seems uninterested in attracting new riders, including the many who totally would ride if it was more convenient. Very few people stop taking transit because it's too expensive (it's still cheaper than anything but bicycling and walking), people stop taking the bus because if it comes every 10 minutes I can make it to work, if it comes every 45 minutes I might as well walk or drive a car.

Returning "to near pre-pandemic levels. Currently, Calgary Transit is running at 85% [pre-pandemic] service, according to the report" suggest that they don't actually intend to reach the same levels of service (bad) and they also don't see anything wrong with the level of service that's the goal (worse). Ever try to catch a bus, even in a central, dense and supposedly transit-supportive area after 7pm prior to 2019? Even the LRT had frequencies that were getting annoying long - and I am not even considering weekends (or weekend evenings). This isn't something we should try to get back to. It seems like no one even bothers talking about adding evening, weekend and night service anymore - a huge perennially ignored market.

From 2014 - 2018, Transit tried to break it's dependency on the risky downtown jobs market dependency and started investing in the MAX service and other crosstown investments. Lots of phrases like switching from a "peak-oriented to all-day system" were thrown around. Problem was they weren't implemented meaningfully operationally - frequencies were continued to be cut with resources endlessly diverted to community shuttles and basic coverage in the deep burbs rather that ridership-generating levels of quality in areas more transit-friendly, rapidly growing and dense.

For the MAX BRT system, so far this has led us to have an ultra low frequency buses stopping at ultra fancy bus stops. Long gone is the dream that the MAX Orange can be Calgary's equivalent to Vancouver's ultra high-quality and popular "99-B Line" - you need frequency and evening service for that.

It's definitely not all Calgary Transit's fault - politics, provincial indifference to transit, stubbornly low population densities, poor land-uses, continued sprawl etc. - all contribute to the stagnation of the system. I really hope the ongoing crisis triggers a revolution within transit in this city, fully shaking-off the obsolete attachment to the 1980s-style model and aggressively get back to it's raison d'etre - move as many people around, as fast and efficient as possible. Fight for every single rider.

I'd go as far to say that Calgary Transit should actively politick against other parts of the transportation planning world. Every car capacity improvement, interchange, parking garage or auto-centric land use should be actively opposed by transit as it's against the system's long-term interest.

Last edited:

Back