News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Live Wire did a good article on this (they're great and really my go to for Calgary news).

It mentions a little more detail I didn't know, or forgot, about The rail master plan: Alberta’s regional rail master plan is right now with a consultant, according to their passenger rail webpage. That is to include a 15-year delivery plan that provides options and recommendations to the government.

So if it comes out in 2025, the plan's time frame would be from 2025-2040... Interesting, how much can you get done in 15 years if it will take that long to do a 7-stop Green Line?

Article says (I paraphrase) about the Airport that the City of Calgary and the Government of Alberta began a study to determine the optimal rail connection and route between downtown Calgary and the Calgary International Airport, that report is expected this fall, so the picture gets clearer soon.

The article's writer makes a good point: It’s not clear at this time if the proposed express passenger rail is in addition to this tie into Calgary Transit, or if it’s separate. It’s also not clear if an express passenger rail built and operated by the province is to replace a Blue Line extension and airport connector line.

There's a lot of different ideas going on here, which I assume the City and Provincial study (fall 2024) and the Rail Plan (spring 2025) will clear up.

Personally, I'd like to see the different private proposals go away in favor of a single, unified provincial rail network, with an Automated connection to the YYC Terminal. There are just too many problems with multiple privately operated trains versus the public option, at least to get the service off the ground. It might not be a single seat ride but it should be a single ticket.

I'd like to see (eventually, not by 2040):

High Speed Rail between Calgary, Red Deer, and Edmonton; the rail right-of-way once you get west of 15 Street SE in Inglewood is difficult but maybe CPKC or whoever owns that track can sell you one track of right-of-way?

Slower (Commuter) Rail out of Calgary's Central Station (not sure it will be so 'Grand') to Banff (through Cochrane and Canmore), Strathmore (through Chestermere), Olds (through Airdrie, Crossfield, Carstairs and Didsbury) and Nanton (through Okotoks and High River).

Automated train between YYC, Slower Rail station and Blue Line. Eventually you can connect it to the Green Line (in the year 2100).

You'd minimize the train types to three, perhaps they can operate on the same type of track, with the exception of the automated train.

Last edited:
A bit disappointed in the trip length (~45 minutes) for anyone going end-to-end as it's not competitive to driving (15 minutes), but it's that balance between providing service along the way or operating a true express shuttle. Another issues that's painfully obvious with this kind of route is that buses need to leave the high-speed roads to access the bus bays at the Red Line, the result is circuitous and winding routes to get to the LRT, and not able to take advantage of the expressway fully which cars can easily. A way for a bus to quickly get to Tuscany station from Crowchild and back onto Crowchild again would save significant time.
Part of me wonders if CT is trying this route just to see if there's demand for this. Either way I agree that's a ridiculous amount of time but I'm glad to see they're still trying something new in existing neighborhoods. So I guess we'll see..

One thing that I think could be cool about the Green-Blue connector line (if it does end up being interoperable heavy rail) is serving deep NC/NE customers to get downtown quickly while freeing up capacity on the green and blue lines. Would imo add to the value and justify those service levels

Their release mentions the airport train stops at a Beltline station as well a few times so there should be another option to board downtown outside of the Grand Central station in East Village. It will just be a 20 minute wait for a Liricon train instead of a 4 (!) minute wait for a province train from the Grand Central station if going out to the airport. On that note, surely running a train every 4 minutes as mentioned is way more regular than what this service would need to start out with?
Yeah, that's a really high frequency. Green Line Stage 1 when it was still 16th-Shepard and an expected daily ridership of 55K-65K only ordered enough LRVs for 8 minute headways.

Back