News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Calgcouver, in the Green Line thread, mentioned an idea: “Just connect the blue line to the airport via 60 St > Airport Trail > Barlow Trail. It doesn't have to be this hard.”

If I were someone going from the airport straight to downtown, with as many stops as there are already on the Blue Line, this would be super annoying. I would prefer to have an express or limited stop service between the airport and downtown much like the UP Express in Toronto.

Calgcouver, in the Green Line thread, mentioned an idea: “Just connect the blue line to the airport via 60 St > Airport Trail > Barlow Trail. It doesn't have to be this hard.”

If I were someone going from the airport straight to downtown, with as many stops as there are already on the Blue Line, this would be super annoying. I would prefer to have an express or limited stop service between the airport and downtown much like the UP Express in Toronto.
Blue line isn't really feasible except to say we have a train to the airport. Saddletown to Downtown shows 30 minutes on google maps - going airport downtown means 45 minutes or longer.
The 300 bus direct from Airport to Downtown is only 36 minutes (outside of rush hour) - why spend the millions for a train that is slower than the current bus

Blue line isn't really feasible except to say we have a train to the airport. Saddletown to Downtown shows 30 minutes on google maps - going airport downtown means 45 minutes or longer.
The 300 bus direct from Airport to Downtown is only 36 minutes (outside of rush hour) - why spend the millions for a train that is slower than the current bus
Exactly my point. What have the Airport to Downtown train proponents (Liricon or whatever it’s called, and others) estimated for a travel time?

If there is sufficient switching on the line it should be possible to provide some sort of express service mixed with the trains that serve all stations, but a more direct method would still be better.

Exactly my point. What have the Airport to Downtown train proponents (Liricon or whatever it’s called, and others) estimated for a travel time?

I haven't seen any numbers for the YYC/Banff proposal, but iirc there were some numbers that put a HSR link at around 10 minutes.

Almost as good as having a terminal right downtown!

HSR link at around 10 minutes.
Numbers like that make it feasible for average people to use that instead of asking for a favor or taking a cab.

I think the Blue Line Spur makes very little sense, if there was a third track for an express train, sure but there isn't and you might as well put that track in the nose creek valley to be used by regional and HSR.

The UP Express is massively subsidized, and they're talking about it replacing it with GO Train in the future. A city as large as Toronto with a far bigger airport cannot sustain a direct rail link, I doubt we can. The often missed part of airport connections is that it's a huge employment centre, arguably larger than any c-train station outside of downtown. The majority of the users will be workers at the airport and surrounding amenities and not travelers.

^ Have to think of projects as a system, not as individual parts which are compared to individual parts. The original proposal for a toronto airport link was Blue 22, a minimum infrastructure project that was proposed as a private, freestanding (it pays its operations AND capital costs) project. Increasing infrastructure spend for future capacity, rather than a single track, plus many grade separations increased the costs a lot. That extra capacity isn't FOR UP. A lot of the cash was politicians deciding it was also worth it to spend hundreds of millions more rather than have a single neighbourhood complaining forever that happened to be in a swing seat.

The YYC-Calgary-Banff project is an economic development play first imo, not solely a transportation project. An extra night of visitation by an international tourist/conventioneer generates about $1000 in spending, and international tourist spending is an export for Alberta and Canada, a foreign currency earner, which changes why we should do it versus evaluating as a transportation or business play.

A simple model of the Banff link only from CED:
1728060948009.png

Have to raise the numbers by inflation a bit:
1728061008458.png

That incremental spending is like if DHC was able to secure orders for 26 new water bombers a year, every year and sell them overseas. It is akin to oil sands WCS production increase of an incremental 48,000 barrels a day.

A very basic economic model, dividing that spending 40% hotels, 25% food, 20% recreation, 15% culture, results in 9.97 jobs per $1million of spending using Alberta's 2019 economic multipliers Simple Multipliers (Industries) Open Model – Direct and Indirect Impacts, or 14,357 person years of employment per year.

And that is only Calgary's number, not Banffs, and an only 5% boost in overall visitation to Banff (the moderate, moderate case).

Back