News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

TBH, I'm not sure there would be much time made up by the change. Now, if the Red Line moved to a tunnel, then priority for the remaining trains might save a fair amount of time.
Would be curious how this would actually be done and what level of design has been sketched out for a future 8th Avenue subway. Would a tunnel portal be possible before 4th Avenue using the existing LRT bridge? Or would the grades be too steep and require a bunch of reconfigurations for the LRT approach and 4th Avenue?

1675358928334.png

TBH, I'm not sure there would be much time made up by the change. Now, if the Red Line moved to a tunnel, then priority for the remaining trains might save a fair amount of time.
If the red line was underground, the blue line could really move. Off peak, I think you could make up some decent time with the right of way even with both lines as the trains are usually a fair distance apart. I don't think it could be done during rush hour, too many trains.

Would be curious how this would actually be done and what level of design has been sketched out for a future 8th Avenue subway. Would a tunnel portal be possible before 4th Avenue using the existing LRT bridge? Or would the grades be too steep and require a bunch of reconfigurations for the LRT approach and 4th Avenue?
I assume there's enough room, LRT is a beast up the grades. The CP tunnel south portal fits inside two blocks
Edit: it's directly quoted as having enough room
1675374014248.png

1675371922701.png

Side note, interesting that this doc shows the tunnel layout under City Hall:
1675372115012.png

Last edited:
AFAIK that's mostly the case, the time the trains spend sitting at stations the cars have green time

I assume there's enough room, LRT is a beast up the grades. The CP tunnel south portal fits inside two blocks
View attachment 453873

Side note, interesting that this doc shows the tunnel layout under City Hall:
View attachment 453874
After a tough day at the dentist, I needed this post today. Thank you for sparking some joy and nurturing the '8 Ave tunnel as part of a Olympic Plaza/Stephen Ave refresh' idea in my head.

View attachment 453840
Did the math on slopes and the bridge awhile back -- it works with a road reconfiguration somewhat like this:
1675376164825.png

With a smoother transition, that's not a bad option.

Oh yeah no I figured. I suppose it was just my two cents that yes it could work. It would also have the added benefit of calming traffic on the Louise Bridge since they'd no longer have their own blood on-ramp.

Happy to see the province pushing for an LRT connection to the airport in the current budget. Wonder what kind of timeline we will be looking at for this...
The text from the budget:
The Budget 2023 Capital Plan provides $5 million in new grant funding in 2023-24 to allow the City of Calgary to proceed with needed engineering work for extending the LRT Blue Line north to enable connection with the Calgary International Airport. This year’s funding will also be used to determine the optimal connections to move passengers from the airport to downtown Calgary including: a people mover, LRT, and heavy rail. Once the Blue Line study is complete, further funding to this LRT project is anticipated in partnership with the City and federal government.
Just to cool the jets. It is an acceleration of existing work and an attempt to find a solution to accommodating both the heavy rail Banff project and the people mover while designing the LRT up to 88th and a station that will enable quick transfers to the people mover (with likely a nice bus terminal as well).

The text from the budget:

Just to cool the jets. It is an acceleration of existing work and an attempt to find a solution to accommodating both the heavy rail Banff project and the people mover while designing the LRT up to 88th and a station that will enable quick transfers to the people mover (with likely a nice bus terminal as well).
I'd love to see a cross platform transfer, sorta like APM | Platform | Blue Line x2 | Platform

I'm curious if there is a more specific breakdown of the 5 million, like say 3 million for future blue line work ad people mover, and 2 million for exploring heavy rail between YYC and downtown, or if it's just up to the city to spend it on these projects as needed. However, I'm disappointed the province still hasn't signed on to the Calgary Banff rail project which would include this portion. They're only asking for 10 million at this stage to at least get it moving forward before the final construction/full-cost design is made.

I'm curious if there is a more specific breakdown of the 5 million, like say 3 million for future blue line work ad people mover, and 2 million for exploring heavy rail between YYC and downtown, or if it's just up to the city to spend it on these projects as needed. However, I'm disappointed the province still hasn't signed on to the Calgary Banff rail project which would include this portion. They're only asking for 10 million at this stage to at least get it moving forward before the final construction/full-cost design is made.
Nope.

What is the connection to Banff that people are talking about here? Is this just referring to the regional rail system which would head north to Airdrie(?) with a stop at 96th, and west to ...Cochrane? and eventually to Banff?

No, it’s the Banff rail project that is actually proposed, not the fantasy someday commuter rail that isn’t actually yet proposed.

Back