News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

We really need to figure out better help and support for mental health, things seem to be spiraling these days!
I agree. In my walks throughout the inner city, I have noticed a heightened level of agitation from homeless or destitute types. I think we are experiencing the negative societal effects of COVID layoffs, lockdowns, restrictions and mask mandates.

Many medical experts were forecasting this was going to happen.

Maybe a good idea would be to weaken the social safety net here in Calgary. After all, the Drop-in Centre is the largest shelter in North America where almost all homeless people can sleep on a bed if they want. We're not giving them enough incentive to get off the street. Furthermore, our culture tends to protect the homeless and let them do whatever they want. I told a homeless guy a couple weeks ago to pick up the trash he just threw on the curb and someone in the distance came to his defence immediately, telling me to "leave the homeless guy alone!" I just told him to pick up his trash as I was walking by. Homeless guy too down on his luck to use a trash can? It's insane. On top of that, there's too many people who sympathize with and give to beggars. On the small scale it's not a bad thing, but on the grand scale it is. At the end of the day it keeps them on the street. Why get a job and get clean and sober when they can just beg and continue living like that.

I don't see why it's so difficult to look at what other countries are doing in terms of solving their homeless problem. Best thing to do would be to give them opportunities to be independent rather than be dependant on someone else or a system. Maybe a good idea would be to make them pay. After 30 days, they must start paying $10 to $20 per night to stay at the shelter.

Last night I was woken at 4 in the morning by what sounded like wave after wave of sirens. Not knowing what it was all about I went back to sleep after it subsided. On the news this morning it was reported as an incident with no other details.
I have now read that someone (with a knife) was inside city hall and set 4 fires which activated the sprinklers and of course the alarms. The fires were put out but there is substantial water damage. Obvious question is how someone could get in and wander around city hall at that hour?
Incidents like these and what is being reported on the LRT with more frequency, is not helping with the image of Calgary's downtown.
Bingo. It's a very real problem for sure. Last week it was a guy with a hammer smashing glass panels at the Peace Bridge. While these are isolated incidents, the frequency of these kinds of incidents are concerning, especially for Calgary downtown image. Perception is reality for many....and unfortunately lately, it is reality.
The city has spent a lot of time looking into various ideas regarding downtown revitalization, but they haven't really looked into the crime factor. I suspect they will though, as it is becoming more of a factor these days.

If it was purposeful, or even intentional but random (like broken windows), maybe a law enforcement solution would work.

But when it is random,erractic, violent and destructive behaviour, like what is the city supposed to do if the province just doesn't care to try anything but the status quo?

If it was purposeful, or even intentional but random (like broken windows), maybe a law enforcement solution would work.

But when it is random,erractic, violent and destructive behaviour, like what is the city supposed to do if the province just doesn't care to try anything but the status quo?
what would the province's role be in this? Not disagreeing here, just inquiring.

Not a major decrease, but still positive.

On a somewhat related note, throughout the summer I've noticed downtown getting busier. Even with summer holidays, it seems to be coming back. I'm anxious to see how it is in the fall when the holiday season is over.

Back