News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

One part of downtown that has been a huge success is the Peace Bridge Plaza.

85D647E8-0CD3-4063-ABA9-98F5E2E45777.jpeg
85C90F25-FD10-415C-A14B-0481451BFDFF.jpeg
CEB1EFCD-527A-4EE6-9E1C-3104033F687E.jpeg

One part of downtown that has been a huge success is the Peace Bridge Plaza.

View attachment 422745
You should try that D'Served Ice Cream cart. Really good ice cream cookie sandwiches they bake and make locally. Also a good instagram follow for some behind the scenes of what operating a cart business is like and some of the policy change/pilot project stuff that is trying to encourage more of this stuff. Cool perspectives from a pro-bicycle/pro-pathway DIY local business.

You should try that D'Served Ice Cream cart. Really good ice cream cookie sandwiches they bake and make locally. Also a good instagram follow for some behind the scenes of what operating a cart business is like and some of the policy change/pilot project stuff that is trying to encourage more of this stuff. Cool perspectives from a pro-bicycle/pro-pathway DIY local business.
Must be good. It's not shown in the pics, but there was a lineup. It's been great having these small pop up businesses along the pathway.

If they don't build they second Concord tower, it would be so nice if a small retail plaza with a pub/resto was built there instead.

Sounds like the Shell tower will be mostly empty, as Shell is moving into a smaller square footage in The Bow:

Sounds like the Shell tower will be mostly empty, as Shell is moving into a smaller square footage in The Bow:
What's going to be the first office tower demolished and turned into a parking lot?

Shell Centre actually looks to be the right floor size for residential conversion.

I was watching House Hunters International and even though the family didn't end up renting in this tower I always though it was a great inspiration for office conversions in Calgary. The simple exterior is similar to a lot of the bigger towers in Calgary that need to be converted.

In Shell Centre's page on Wikipedia I see it says: "The building included two levels of underground parking with capacity for 86 cars. The building was designed in a figure eight shape which allows for eight (edit: wikipedia incorrectly says 8, source article says 6) corner offices, and includes a recessed lobby accessible from street levels behind a series of supportive pillars."

86 cars seems small... could be a barrier to conversion. But then you see there could be 8 eight corner units per floor and Toronto investors might be tripping over themselves. No idea what a recessed lobby is?!

Last edited:
I've never noticed the figure 8 shape of the Shell Tower before, but when you look at it overhead, it is obvious:
1661810247072.png

The two "square" towers are about 38m by 38m (very rough google maps measurement). When you consider that the new Oliver tower is roughly 30m by 30m, it isn't a dramatically bigger floor plate. Seems like residential conversion with decent floor plans wouldn't be as big of a challenge with this building.

6 corner offices
8 corner-ish offices. They must, somehow, be counting the corners where the two sides of the figure 8 meet?

Edit: Read the source article, 6 is the correct amount of corner offices. Wikipedia misquotes the Calgary Herald article. I found the section on building form to be accurate. I don't love the simple marble as much as the writer (John Glassco) but he seems to know the problems the +15 can and will bring to the downtown.

Last edited:

Back