News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

As for Australia, there are aspects of their immigration and refugee policy that would be considered cruel by most Western standards.
How is Australia's policy toward legal immigration cruel?

Certainly their policy of detaining illegals and refugees in camps is nasty, but that's separate from their official immigration policy.

I have no friends here. ;)

I can see why.

This might help you understand the definition. I realize it might be a big word for you.

Main Entry: com·pre·hen·sion
Pronunciation: \ˌkäm-pri-ˈhen(t)-shən, -prē-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French & Latin; Middle French, from Latin comprehension-, comprehensio, from comprehendere to understand, comprise
Date: 15th century
1 a: the act or action of grasping with the intellect : understanding b: knowledge gained by comprehending c: the capacity for understanding fully <mysteries that are beyond our comprehension>
2 a: the act or process of comprising b: the faculty or capability of including : comprehensiveness

No, he's not...the Australian government is....you should read more carefully.
I wouldn't care about what MOT says. He's been on my Ignore List for weeks now, and it's quite refreshing to read a thread without seeing his ill-informed, one-sided, inflamatory and poorly researched outbursts. I recommend putting MOT on your own Ignore List, it's easily done, just go to your Control Panel, click on Ignore List and add MOT. Then, whenever you open a thread, any posts from MOT are automatically deleted.

Beez and Digi (perhaps one in the same person) I suggest we all stick to the topic and quit the childish rantings.

In many instances, family reunification happens only after the first family members find themselves capable of supporting and housing their parents, grandparents, etc. I see nothing wrong with this humanitarian policy. Can it be abused? Sure, but we should not let the small number of abuses overshadow the more humane aspect of the policy.

As for Australia, there are aspects of their immigration and refugee policy that would be considered cruel by most Western standards.

I wasn't aware that Canada was failing so miserably at integrating new immigrants. I look around me and see what I would consider a good degree of success - not perfect - but good.

Well said Hydrogen. At least here in Toronto from my observations and contacts with fellow immigrants I do not see Canada failing us or us failing Canada. Furthermore just because a relative is elderly does not mean they are an automatic burden. Countries also have reciprocal pension and social security programs with Canada so they can be self sufficient here too.

In my case my US Social Security is transferrable to Canada with the added benefit of my loved one having access to it here in Canada whereas in the US he is denied access.

Back to the original topic. I have spoken to the War Resisters and they all are interested in living the rest of their lives here in Canada as productive members of this country. What would be fair in my mind is giving them work or education visas allowing them to stay and apply for permanent residency from within the country. The only problem is the point system already in place would exclude those without long time work experience or higher education degrees. I don't have the answers I just don't think they should be punished for standing up against deceptive and immoral act of militarism.

The court will be re-hearing the case of Josh Key. There is a reason Corey Glass is the first deportation case even though others (with families) came
much earlier than him. The Tory government is using Corey Glass because he appears to be the weakest case and he doesn't have a wife and kids. It's just plain political manuevering by the Bush and Harper governments.

This might help you understand the definition. I realize it might be a big word for you.

LOL....and american trying to teach English...now I've seen it all.
We all know what "comprehension" means, most of us even know how to use the word in a gramatically correct way...you, clearly, don't...which makes your hypocricy especially funny.

I suggest we all stick to the topic and quit the childish rantings.

Typical, I guess when you're up against the wall you resort to childish namecalling. ;)

I just don't think they should be punished for standing up against deceptive and immoral act of militarism.

They didn't, they willingly volunteered to join the millitary.

LOL....and american trying to teach English...now I've seen it all.
We all know what "comprehension" means, most of us even know how to use the word in a gramatically correct way...you, clearly, don't...which makes your hypocricy especially funny.

Typical, I guess when you're up against the wall you resort to childish namecalling. ;)

You've never heard of reading comprehension?

Reading Comprehension

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Within this page,the complex processes involved in reading comprehension are divided into three categories (much like the National Reading Panel Report). The categories include vocabulary instruction, text comprehension instruction, and teacher preparation and comprehension strategies instruction. You'll also find useful websites that students can visit to practice their use of comprehension strategies with fiction and non-fiction texts at a variety of reading levels.

It's an American not and american and hypocrisy not hypocricy. If you want to be the spelling and grammar police then you need to do a much better job with your own writing skills.

ENOUGH WITH FLAMING THIS THREAD!

Volunteering for military service does not include committing immoral acts against innocent civilians and refusing to do so is the conduct expected of every soldier.

How is Australia's policy toward legal immigration cruel?

Certainly their policy of detaining illegals and refugees in camps is nasty, but that's separate from their official immigration policy.

Note that I said aspects (immigration laws are those laws that make definitions between legal and illegal, and so on). In many instances one has to be quite well off to get into Australia as an immigrant. But those are Australian laws and not ours.

Going beyond that, I know a number of Australians who are horrified by the refugee and illegal immigrant camps.

As for Canada, I simply do not see how family reunification is something that is damaging to this country. The process is legal and is humane - two values that are essential to a just immigration policy.

I also think that issues surrounding skills are best addressed through educational opportunity - in the same way that issues of skills and education are addressed for people who are born here.

I agree. The argument that they thought the military was going to be the peace corp, with deployments only for disaster relief is ridiculous. I'd much rather see an honest argument from these deserters along the lines of, I joined the military because I couldn't afford an education or health care for my family without it, I joined the military after 9/11 because I wanted to fight Bin Ladeen, or I joined the military without doing my research, I wasn't tricked or fooled into joining, I wanted to join, BUT now I'm being sent to what I consider an immoral war in Iraq, and refuse to serve my duty, but will take the consequences of my action instead of fleeing like a coward to Canada. We don't need cowards in this country, we need men who stand by their convictions and take their lumps and keep on fighting.

I agree. The argument that they thought the military was going to be the peace corp, with deployments only for disaster relief is ridiculous. I'd much rather see an honest argument from these deserters along the lines of, I joined the military because I couldn't afford an education or health care for my family without it, I joined the military after 9/11 because I wanted to fight Bin Ladeen, or I joined the military without doing my research, I wasn't tricked or fooled into joining, I wanted to join, BUT now I'm being sent to what I consider an immoral war in Iraq, and refuse to serve my duty, but will take the consequences of my action instead of fleeing like a coward to Canada. We don't need cowards in this country, we need men who stand by their convictions and take their lumps and keep on fighting.

Once again you show a complete lack of knowledge on what the War Resisters/Deserters have honestly said. They have said they joined due to health care, 9/11 patriotism, educational costs, in addition to the tricks and lies of the recruiters. Besides those points that they have often publically made (you can easily check, plus I suggest for a third time you read Joshua Key's book "The Dester's Tale" before you embarass yourself further) the soldiers realized after signing up that the Iraq war is a political war based on lies and deception that has eroded into a civil war where innocent civilians are the biggest victims. Iraq is not a just war and sending troops into it whether they volunteer or not is plain wrong. It is a soldiers duty to refuse orders that are immoral and against the Geneva conventions. Now the US wants to punish them for being smart enough to know what is happening there and refusing to take part in it.

It is countries like Canada that have been a safe place for people who stand up against this kind of militarism. Yet some people think just because a person signs up for the military they must act as cannon fodder for political hacks because they signed a stupid contract.

I'll bet Beez never served a day in his life. So he should think before calling anyone else a coward.

You've never heard of reading comprehension?

Yes dear, I've even explained it to you...but you're an american...you probably have a different meaning for it.

BTW...it's american....you don't really deserve a capital A ;)

They have said they joined due to health care, 9/11 patriotism, educational costs, in addition to the tricks and lies of the recruiters.

So, the worlds 'greatest' couuntry can't provide health care for its people, you must risk your lives for it.
9/11 patriotism? You mean brainwashing...no-ones fault but your own.
Are you people so gullible as to believe the "tricks and lies of the recruiters"? If so, maybe you deserve it....your excuses are pathetic.

Now the US wants to punish them for being smart enough to know what is happening there and refusing to take part in it.

There are so many things wong with this sentence, it's a joke, right?

I'll bet Beez never served a day in his life. So he should think before calling anyone else a coward.

You like to make general sweeping statements, with no basis in fact. You call names when you've been smacked down, you're a hypocrite....when have you served your country?

Volunteering for military service does not include committing immoral acts against innocent civilians and refusing to do so is the conduct expected of every soldier.

Volunteering for the military, after the Iraq war started, and then claiming the "didn't know", is a really poor excuse...but keep 'em coming, they're certainly funny to read.

Volunteering for the military, after the Iraq war started, and then claiming the "didn't know", is a really poor excuse...but keep 'em coming, they're certainly funny to read.
Imagine joining the US air force in WW2 as a bomber pilot and then refusing to fly any missions because you consider random killing of civilians as immoral. Thw war would have never been won.

Back