News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Looks like Corey Glass is a fraud, facing no punishment in the USA and is using this as an excuse to jump the cue to enter Canada.

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Canada/2008/07/03/6050496-sun.html

Army says soldier no longer a deserter
By BRETT CLARKSON, SUN MEDIA

He's the deserter who isn't. Or is he?

An ABC News report that Iraqi war resister Corey Glass, who fled to Canada after deserting the U.S. National Guard in 2006, isn't facing punishment south of the border is apparently untrue, a U.S. military lawyer says.

U.S. Army spokesman Maj. Nathan Banks also told the Sun yesterday that Glass, 25, "was discharged from the California National Guard on Dec. 1, 2006."

But John Schum, who has been practising military law in the U.S. since 1992, said last night Glass has only been discharged from the service's active duty, placing him in the reserves, and can be called back to fight at any time.

Schum also said that if the U.S. military is pursuing the return of Glass -- who faces deportation on July 10 -- there's a good chance there are already plans to deploy him back to Iraq.

Glass said he was shocked at the report. "(The Army) issued this statement for administration purposes only," he said. "I can still be sent to Iraq. They've spun this to make it look like I was running for no reason."

Glass, AWOL from the National Guard when he arrived in Toronto in August 2006, applied for refugee status but was denied.

A rally against Glass' deportation order will go ahead tonight in Parkdale.

The War Resisters Support Campaign is holding a rally tomorrow night at the May Robinson Building at 20 West Lodge Ave., near Queen St. W. and Lansdowne Ave., in support of the estimated 200 Iraqi war deserters seeking refuge in Canada.

You certainly don't know how to let it go Beez. As if the US military never tells lies. This is news to Corey Glass as well.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080703.DESERTERS03/TPStory/?
"From the Globe and Mail:

Lee Zaslofsky, a representative of the War Resisters Support Campaign, which has championed the ostensible causes of Mr. Glass and other American deserters in Canada, said that Mr. Glass's discharge was essentially an administrative fiction, by which the army "rather than [listing] people as AWOL [switches] them to individual ready reserve, so it doesn't look as bad when they don't show up."

He maintained that Mr. Glass could still be criminally punished in the United States, and called a statement to the contrary "spin."

Even if he is not subject to criminal penalty, Mr. Glass will remain liable for service in Iraq or elsewhere under the ready reserve program until 2010"

I am reading "The Deserter's Tale" by Joshua Key. You should look up his story and learn some more on this topic.

Beez: did you even read the story you posted? It contradicts your assertion.
Sure. The US military official is saying that Glass is not facing punishment, and thus is more than likely free to return to the US. I see no reason thus why Glass can't return to the USA, since he's a free man in the States. If, as the article also asserts, Glass is again posted to Iraq was part of his voluntary National Guard service, which I agree is the second reason after punishment that he is seeking to stay in Canada, he'll have to face the consequences of refusing orders. Wow, facing consequences for your actions, how novel.

Mot, sorry dude, you're on my ignore list, so I have no idea what you said, but I'm sure it was cleaver.

Sure. The US military official is saying that Glass is not facing punishment, and thus is more than likely free to return to the US. I see no reason thus why Glass can't return to the USA, since he's a free man in the States. If, as the article also asserts, Glass is again posted to Iraq was part of his voluntary National Guard service, which I agree is the second reason after punishment that he is seeking to stay in Canada, he'll have to face the consequences of refusing orders. Wow, facing consequences for your actions, how novel.

Mot, sorry dude, you're on my ignore list, so I have no idea what you said, but I'm sure it was cleaver.

Look at Beez covering his ears and stomping his feet. Ignore list. LOL
That's what you do when you can't win a debate

FYI The ABC article isn

July 4, 2008
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Att: News Editors
Efforts intensifying across Canada to call for halt to deportation orders
against Iraq War resisters

TORONTO/CNW - With only six days remaining until the federal government’s
deportation order against war resister (James) Corey Glass takes effect, supporters across the country are intensifying efforts to protect Glass and others seeking refuge in Canada.
Rallies, lobbying and initiatives organized by faith, social justice, peace and citizens’groups are focused on urging Prime Minister Stephen Harper to implement the will of Parliament expressed June 3rd with the passage of a landmark motion, It calls on the government to allow U.S. war resisters and immediate family members the opportunity to apply to remain in Canada as permanent residents; it also calls for an end to deportation orders against them.

A July 2nd article on the ABC News website caused some confusion by indicating that Mr. Glass was discharged from active military duty on Dec. 1, 2006.
After careful legal inquiries in Canada and the United States, the War Resisters Support Campaign has found that the “discharge†has not substantially changed Corey Glass’s situation, or that of any of the other US Iraq War resisters in Canada.Glass has not received an official discharge paper from the Army – known as a DD 214. He has not gone through the normal discharge process, involving a host of paperwork, a physical examination, and other tasks. In the wake of the ABC News story, he has
checked his status and found only an order posted to change his status from “active†to “inactiveâ€. This does not count as a full discharge from the military.Glass’s lawyer points out that, under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, he could still be charged with desertion and punished by imprisonment and a Bad Conduct discharge equivalent to a felony conviction. As a member of the Individual Ready Reserve, he could be recalled to active duty, possibly in Iraq, at any time until July 2010 and be forced to serve past that date, through the “stop loss†program. Given his objections to the Iraq war as illegal and immoral, Glass is most worried about this possibility. He would find himself in same position as when he came to Canada in
2006. While the ABC News story about Glass has attracted much attention, what has been obscured are the other war resisters who are now being processed for deportation. For them, there has been no mention or indication of a discharge. The War Resisters Support Campaign will continue to press the federal government to implement the June 3rd motion. That this motion expresses the will of a large majority of Canadians is shown by last week’s Angus Reid poll result, in which three out of five Canadians polled said that the war resisters should be allowed to stay in Canada.

At the end of the day, the question of allowing US military deserters to remain in Canada is a question of what is our refugee policy. Per Citizenship and Immigration, http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/refugees/index.asp "Canada offers refugee protection to people in Canada who fear persecution or who may be at risk of torture or cruel and unusual treatment or punishment"

I don't see how these deserters fit this definition. If they return to the USA they are not at risk of persecution, torture or cruel and unusual treatment or punishment. They may or may not face punishment by the US military justice system, but this can hardly be considered fitting of this definition of what Canada considers a refugee.

These deserters want to stay in Canada because they want to avoid the military service they voluntarily signed up for, and specifically because they do not want to take part in what they consider an immoral war or occupation in Iraq. Fine, thanks to fighting men on both sides of the border, freedom of opinion is certainly free in both the USA and Canada, so go ahead and feel that way. However, you can't claim refugee status in Canada because you don't want to do your duty. Imagine if a voluntary enlisted Canadian regular soldier or reservist fled to the USA because he didn't want to serve in Rwanda, Afghanistan, or any of the current or past operations because he morally objected to going, see list at http://www.cefcom.forces.gc.ca/site/ops/index_e.asp I'd expect and demand that the USA send him back for military justice. If you morally object, then do it officially, and accept the justice you deserve. If that leads to a criminal record and future employment challenges, then so be it, there are serious consequences to serious dereliction of duty.

What these deserters fail to understand is that by not serving their duty, someone else has to fill their boots. Imagine at D-Day in 1944 (spare us the WW2 was the last moral war argument and insert whatever "immoral" war you wish instead), refusing to get into the landing craft because you want no part of Europe's war. How could you even stand to look at the comrade beside you getting into the boat, knowing that he might get killed because you abandoned your comrades and decided to stay safe, flee to another country and then complain and protest from afar?

Send them home, and send them home now. Regardless of how you feel, our Refugee system does not apply to US military deserters.

Gott'a love that ignore list :)

Give it a rest Beez, we get it. You have something in common with the small pecentage of Americans who still think Iraq had something to do with 9/11. You think war resisters should be punished for refusing to fight in a war that is not sanctioned by the UN, that has killed thousands upon thousands of innocent civilians, that has slaughtered 4000 American soldiers, caused the Iraqi middle class to flee their nation and is the epitome of corporate greed and political incompetence.

WE DISAGREE WITH YOU!

I have to wonder what dog you have in this race and what you have in common with approximate 28% of Americans who still love Bush and this war and why you keep posting after claiming you will not on the subject.

I just can't understand why we won't just let any American come live here if he or she wants to. If you have your high school and no criminal record (not including political offences like draft dodging/desertion), I say welcome.

I just can't understand why we won't just let any American come live here if he or she wants to.

Maybe, if it were reciprocal....but that would never happen, so why should Canada throw open its doors?

I just can't understand why we won't just let any American come live here if he or she wants to. If you have your high school and no criminal record (not including political offences like draft dodging/desertion), I say welcome.
Now, that I can agree with. I think that our health care system would attract emigrants from the US. IIRC, a lot of folks sign on to the US military in order to get health coverage, so maybe Canada can provide an alternative for them BEFORE they volunteer for the US Army.

I am completely against accepting immigrants from the US who have criminal records, who are US military deserters, or contravene the Canada-U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/stca-etps-eng.html. There are millions of hardworking, educated Americans, free of criminal records, that I would gladly welcome to Canada as immigrants and citizens.

Maybe, if it were reciprocal....but that would never happen, so why should Canada throw open its doors?
It almost is reciprocal, though with conditions. There are thousands of Canadians living and working full time in the USA, and vice versa. Myself, I know four nurses, at least a half dozen IT guys, three finance guys and two engineers who were born and educated in Canada, and now work and live in the USA, with green cards or US citizenship.

It almost is reciprocal, though with conditions. There are thousands of Canadians living and working full time in the USA, and vice versa. Myself, I know four nurses, at least a half dozen IT guys, three finance guys and two engineers who were born and educated in Canada, and now work and live in the USA, with green cards or US citizenship.

It's nice to see barriers reduced, but we can not really have an "open door" immigration policy, for residents of any country. And there is no reason to favour residents of the U.S. We all have heard of people who are apparently well-qualified, from a large number of countries, who can't get admission to Canada, or alternatively, having got here, can't find jobs where their qualifications are recognized. Until we can get a handle on that, and stop transmitting the mixed messages that we unfortunately do, there is little point in throwing the door wide open.

I too know some people who left Canada for the U.S., which is their right. It would be nice if they came back, but in the free market economy they have every right to decide which location is most attractive to them.

Some nurses I knew left for the U.S. about 15 years ago because there was either no work here at the time, or they felt disrespected in the work they were doing. They were welcomed with open arms in the U.S., paid better, given training opportunities, housing assistance, etc. If Canada wants to keep professionals, we need to know what we are up against in terms of U.S. competition, and I think increasingly some other countries as well.

I personally know one person, Canadian-born but of Indian heritage, who has left for India because he perceives great opportunities there. It's something for us to contend with, more and more.

Back