News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

It's nice to see barriers reduced, but we can not really have an "open door" immigration policy, for residents of any country. And there is no reason to favour residents of the U.S. We all have heard of people who are apparently well-qualified, from a large number of countries, who can't get admission to Canada, or alternatively, having got here, can't find jobs where their qualifications are recognized. Until we can get a handle on that, and stop transmitting the mixed messages that we unfortunately do, there is little point in throwing the door wide open.

I too know some people who left Canada for the U.S., which is their right. It would be nice if they came back, but in the free market economy they have every right to decide which location is most attractive to them.

Some nurses I knew left for the U.S. about 15 years ago because there was either no work here at the time, or they felt disrespected in the work they were doing. They were welcomed with open arms in the U.S., paid better, given training opportunities, housing assistance, etc. If Canada wants to keep professionals, we need to know what we are up against in terms of U.S. competition, and I think increasingly some other countries as well.

I personally know one person, Canadian-born but of Indian heritage, who has left for India because he perceives great opportunities there. It's something for us to contend with, more and more.

Lets not go there because we all know that for every person that leaves to whatever country 10 new ones come in for a better life.And i personally know of people with grade 4 education not knowing a word of english that have been let in Canada by the points system.There are a lot of inconsistencies of whom Canada lets in. And by the way what makes this fellow American different from a person with refugee status that would face prosecution in there country.

Lets not go there because we all know that for every person that leaves to whatever country 10 new ones come in for a better life.
How about you check your facts first?

Canada receives 225,000–275,000 immigrants annually. For example, in 2004, Canada received 235,824 immigrants of which 6,470 came from the USA. However, 50000-75000 individuals emigrate from Canada annually. That means that for every person that leaves Canada about four (not ten!) come in, and not always for a better life.

Worst of all, the people that are leaving are our professionals and entrepreneurs, while increasingly those coming in have limited skills, or skills/credentials/experience Canadians do not value or recognize.

How about you check your facts first?

Canada receives 225,000–275,000 immigrants annually. For example, in 2004, Canada received 235,824 immigrants of which 6,470 came from the USA. However, 50000-75000 individuals emigrate from Canada annually. That means that for every person that leaves Canada about four (not ten!) come in, and not always for a better life.

Worst of all, the people that are leaving are our professionals and entrepreneurs, while increasingly those coming in have limited skills, or skills/credentials/experience Canadians do not value or recognize.

Xenophobia is so ugly

Just curious, but in what way is that particular quote xenophobic?

To my mind, if one wants to see more skilled labour for recent immigrants, then one makes educational opportunities more accessible. Such things go a long way in generating an allegiance towards a society.

"..while increasingly those coming in have limited skills, or skills/credentials/experience Canadians do not value or recognize."

This statement says it all and of course as usual Beez provided no proof of his statement.

I don't see it as xenophobic. A portion of immigration policy is based on family unification - which does not place much emphasis on skills, etc.

I have a friend with a degree from Boston university that is not recognized in Canada (or at least Quebec). One could think of that degree as being unvalued here.

That's odd about your friend considering Canada took into account both my New jersey State School Bachelors degree and my partners degree from his school in Caracas, Venezuela.

In fact I've never heard of anyone whose degree was not recognized for immigration purposes. Employment is another story, some jobs like health care require Canadian Certifications beyond the foreign degree.

Here is an article on the trending of more skilled and educated immigrants into Canada.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourn....html?id=f5286c46-6879-4e94-a367-5360f9d4e38e

Exactly Digi, it's much more open and accepted in the US to be Xenophobic.
Just watch Lou Dobbs on CNN to see a prime example. :D

I can't think of a Canadian equivalent to him. Maybe Michael Coren and his hysterical Catholic martrydom.

I guess we've taken this subject off an a giant tangent. For anyone who is reading this and is interested in supporting the men and women who are seeking refuge here for refusing to commit immoral acts, many of which are against the Geneva Conventions, in a non UN sanctioned war. Please join the protest. Thank You.

Thursday, July 10, 4:30 - 6:30 p.m.
Human Chain stretching from the Federal Court to US Consulate
Northwest corner of Queen Street West and University Avenue

The motion passed in the House of Commons June 3 called for a provision to allow war resisters to stay and to stop removal proceedings against war resisters in Canada. The Harper government is refusing to implement that motion.

Sgt. Corey Glass has been asked to leave Canada on July 10th. Many other resisters and their families face a similar fate if the Harper government continues to ignore Parliament and the majority of Canadians.

The War Resisters Support Campaign is calling on all supporters to join US Iraq War Resisters to create a human chain from the Federal Court building on Queen Street to the U.S. Consulate. You are encouraged to bring placards, signs, organization banners, and their friends and family to show that the majority of Canadians want war resisters to stay.

A portion of immigration policy is based on family unification - which does not place much emphasis on skills, etc.
Family reunification should be scrapped entirely. When you immigrate to Canada bring yourself, your spouse and your kids, but if you want to see Grandma in the old country, buy yourself a plane ticket. Australia, with arguably a much more successful record of integrating legal immigrants (as opposed to illegal migrants and refugees), does not permit much family unification since they want the young, hardworking immigrant and his kids, not the elderly aunts, grandparents and in-laws.

Wow, you are blind to what your friend wrote. Perhaps you should try reading comprehension. LOL

Wow, you are blind to what your friend wrote. Perhaps you should try reading comprehension. LOL

LOL, is "comprehension" a book or something?
Try improving your grammar...this isn't the US.

I have no friends here. ;)

Family reunification should be scrapped entirely. When you immigrate to Canada bring yourself, your spouse and your kids, but if you want to see Grandma in the old country, buy yourself a plane ticket. Australia, with arguably a much more successful record of integrating legal immigrants (as opposed to illegal migrants and refugees), does not permit much family unification since they want the young, hardworking immigrant and his kids, not the elderly aunts, grandparents and in-laws.

In many instances, family reunification happens only after the first family members find themselves capable of supporting and housing their parents, grandparents, etc. I see nothing wrong with this humanitarian policy. Can it be abused? Sure, but we should not let the small number of abuses overshadow the more humane aspect of the policy.

As for Australia, there are aspects of their immigration and refugee policy that would be considered cruel by most Western standards.

I wasn't aware that Canada was failing so miserably at integrating new immigrants. I look around me and see what I would consider a good degree of success - not perfect - but good.

Back