News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I got my Canon camera from Amazon.com for $298USD, no tax, no delivery fee.

Here, the cheapest I could find, Future Shop, for $450CAD, plus tax = $513!

I hate Amazon.ca as well, it's same company, yet, it's STILL way more expensive than Amazon.com.... assholes are in the air!

and one reason why prices are higher up her is because of taxes which used to fund our health care system and other essential services and the U.S don't have these luxuries.
The US government spends a lot more per capita on health care than we do. And that doesn't even include private insurance that Americans have to pay.

That has to be the lamest excuse I’ve heard to shop in Canada. I saved over $20,000 buying my vehicles in the US this year. Why should I pay any more out of my pocket for the exact same product (usually a superior product in the US)? The tax issue is also laughable. You don’t pay at tax on vehicles in most US states if you export but when you bring it over you have to pay GST and PST on the purchase amount so the Canadian government still gets its money. Canadians work hard for their money and by the time taxes are paid there is only so much left to spend. Paying more for the same product to support Canadian retailers is ludicrous especially considering most are owned by US interests. Canadians consumers should be paying fair market value and if retailers are unwilling to lower their prices to reflect the currency change than I will continue to do most of my shopping in the USA.

so why don't you move to the U.S if you hate canada so much? U.S products are crap and the U.S don't have a manufacturing base everytthing is imported from the third world were people work slave wages and long hours with no benefits

so why don't you move to the U.S if you hate canada so much? U.S products are crap and the U.S don't have a manufacturing base everytthing is imported from the third world were people work slave wages and long hours with no benefits

That statement just doesn't make any sense.

Because pretty much the same things that get imported from China to the USA, get imported into Canada.

The wide discrepancy that billy corgan was reffering to deals with certain things like automobiles. For example, the Acura MDX which is made in CANADA, sells in the USA for $40,000 and here for $52,000.

That's what's not fair.

And to say that the USA does not have a manufacturing base is just simply ludicrous.

so why don't you move to the U.S if you hate canada so much?

Huh? Your poorly worded rant doesn't make any sense. The exact same product from the exact same source is still much more expensive in Canada than in the US. Billy's absolutely right. I hope this gets corrected over time.

To add to Billy's point, a car can be cheaper to produce in Canada than in the U.S., which begs the question as to why his American purchase is cheaper at dollar parity (before taxes) than a similar car in Canada.

Finally, some movement is afoot on pricing discrepancies.

Retailers put a price on parity

Oct 20, 2007 04:30 AM
Lisa Wright
Richard Brennan
Staff Reporters

Canadian retailers big and small are starting to slash prices amid a growing chorus of complaints from consumers about higher prices here than in the U.S., despite the red-hot loonie.

Responding to mounting public pressure, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty is encouraging retailers to reflect the strong dollar in their pricing and stem the tide of cross-border shopping – an increasingly popular pastime now that Canadians have more purchasing power.

Flaherty is expected to reinforce his message when he meets with the Retail Council of Canada and several large retailers on Tuesday in Ottawa. Companies expected to be represented at the meeting include Toys "R" Us Inc., Forzani Group Ltd., Staples Inc., Wal-Mart Canada Corp. and Hudson's Bay Co., an aide to Flaherty confirmed.

A few are relenting ahead of that. Yesterday, Zellers became one of the first national retailers to move prices closer to U.S. levels on more than 250 items, from diapers and detergent to digital cameras and camcorders.

Wal-Mart Canada also cut prices this week on "higher profile" items, namely video games, DVDs, music and toys, ahead of the key Christmas shopping season.

Toronto bookstore Mabel's Fables, at Mount Pleasant Rd. and Eglinton Ave., has posted a sign at its cash register saying it is selling its children's books for the U.S. price on the jacket, in Canadian currency, plus $1 for paperbacks and $2 for hardcovers.

"We thank you for your understanding, support and loyalty and in the meantime ask your friends to not abandon our local neighbourhood stores for the U.S. Internet goliaths. Negotiate with Canadian retailers before you go south, please," says the sign at Eleanor LeFave's quaint shop.

"The way that stuff is priced coming out of the States is kind of dopey," noted Bay Bloor Radio manager Peter Kelly, who says he's mystified by the price spreads lately on identical products.

The Toronto electronics store has been waving the Canadian flag in its recent radio ads, saying it can now offer a Yamaha stereo system for $100 less, at $699, thanks to the weaker U.S. currency.

The seemingly unstoppable Canadian dollar closed at $1.0355 yesterday, up another 0.85 of a cent (U.S.) Many forecasters are saying it's expected to climb higher in the coming months, mainly due to the sluggish U.S. economy.

While some retail chains and individual shops are coming around, they're only the tip of the iceberg. Big-ticket items in Canada are still super-pricey compared with the U.S., including cars and electronics.

Retailers have been under fire in recent weeks for refusing to trim prices despite the soaring loonie. Consumers are complaining that even though the Canadian dollar has overtaken the U.S. greenback, prices across the country are still far higher for comparable products.

For his part, Flaherty is claiming victory in putting the retail industry's feet to the fire.

"This is good news for consumers in Canada that some of the retailers have started to be responsive to the need to reduce their prices, given the increased purchasing power of the Canadian dollar.

"I've been encouraging them to do that," the finance minister told reporters at meetings of the G7 finance ministers and central bank governors.

But Retail Council president Diane Brisebois said everyone is pointing fingers at the wrong people.

Product manufacturers and importers are to blame for the price disparity, she said.

"We're upset and we've had enough. We're not gouging people and we're going to tell him (Flaherty) exactly that at our meeting," she said.

Flaherty said he has already encouraged representatives of the Retail Council to do two things: disclose their pricing practices in terms of the U.S. dollar so Canadian consumers understand the differences, and get their prices down as soon as possible.

"It won't all happen overnight ... and different sectors of the retail economy have different realities in terms of pricing, but they should explain that, and that helps consumers be more informed. And then above all, consumers should shop and get the best prices," he said.

"I just want the market to work and I want prices to go down to reflect the increased purchasing power of the Canadian dollar."

Zellers' privately run parent company HBC may eventually expand its pricing initiative to all five of its Canadian retailers, including The Bay, Home Outfitters, Designer Depot and Fields.

HBC spokesperson Hillary Marshall said the company made the move on its own and was not pressured by Flaherty.

"We wanted to do something that makes an immediate difference on the average Canadian's wallet," she said, noting everything from Windex to Xbox can be bought now at a lower price.

"Consumers should not have to pay a higher price if our dollar is higher," agrees Andrew Pelletier, a spokesman for Wal-Mart Canada.

He said the company is aggressively negotiating with suppliers to achieve parity – and even beyond – on items that are currently much cheaper in its American stores. More price announcements will be made next week, he said.

Both federal and provincial governments worry that if prices don't start to drop, the number of cross-border shoppers will grow in leaps and bounds, resulting in lost tax dollars.

About 90 per cent of Canadians live within 160 kilometres of the U.S. border.

Flaherty said that, in the end, he can only use moral suasion.

"We're not about to fix prices," he said.

However, he added, the Department of Finance and the federal government have an obligation to speak for Canadians and to say to participants, "Hey, make sure that you let the market work."

It still boggles the mind that a Palm Tungsten TX is US$299 and CDN$399. When's the price going to be adjusted?

I guess they want to make sure this isn't just a temporary thing.
Either way, that shouldn't matter. Prices should be adjusted more often, and should have started being adjusted months ago.

Don't sell to Canadians, U.S. Bombardier dealer told

Oct 16, 2007 04:05 PM
THE CANADIAN PRESS

GRAND FORKS, N.D. – A snowmobile dealer south of the border says he's been ordered by Quebec-based Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. to stop selling snow machines, ATVs and watercraft to Canadians who are looking to take advantage of the rising value of the loonie.

Ron Thompson, owner of Gateway Sports in Grand Forks, N.D., says he's been told by Bombardier to increase a surcharge for Canadian buyers and ultimately to stop selling to Canucks at all.

Bombardier Recreational manufacturers the popular Ski-Doo and Sea-Doo vehicles.

"Canadians want to buy a Canadian product but I'm not allowed to sell it to them," Thompson said. "I had more than 35 calls from Canadians last week and another 10 calls this week."

He said he had to turn those inquiries away.

Thompson said Canadians can save several thousands of dollars on the purchase of a snow machine in the United States. The Renegade X 800 model sells for $10,000 at his shop, but would go for $13,000 to $14,000 in Winnipeg.

Thompson said Bombardier's standard policy had been for its dealers to impose a 7.5 per cent surcharge on all sales to Canadians. Two weeks ago, Bombardier expanded that to say 7.5 per cent or $1,250 – whichever was higher. Last week, the company raised the rate again to $3,000. And earlier this week, Thompson said, a Bombardier representative told him not to sell to Canadians at all.

"They said it's to protect the Canadian dealers but when the Canadian dollar (was at 70 cents) and Americans were going north to make their purchases, nobody was protecting my interests."

Thompson also said Bombardier will void the warranty on any craft purchased by a Canadian in the United States – even if the purchase was initially made by an American – and has threatened to cancel agreements with dealers who sell to Canadians.

"I'm paying $5,000 a month interest on the inventory I have but I'm not allowed to sell to Canadians who are trying to save some money," Thompson said. "It's just not right."

Bombardier spokesman Pierre Pichette, vice-president of communications and public affairs, said the firm has always assigned geographic boundaries to its dealerships and financial penalties to enforce them.

Pichette said dealers are not allowed to sell to citizens of another country. The policy is based on market analysis and ensures that dealers not only sell but also can service Bombardier products.

Pichette said the penalty was increased in the last two weeks to prevent American border dealers from buckling to pressure from Canadian customers.

"We've had to make adjustments (to the penalty) for today," said Pichette, who added the company policy also applies to Canadian dealers, who are not allowed to sell to Americans.

I am planning of special order this external flash for my camera at a local store for $229. The list price is $240 USD in America. This model of flash replaces an older model which Henry's sells for a whopping $340!

So basically I'm buying a newer improved model from an independent non-chain store for $110 less than an outdated model from a huge chain store. And if I actually wanted that old model, I could get it in from a US store for less than $200 CAD.

How can a dealer in the US reject Canadian customers? How can they reject business period? That's just silly.

The car companies used to threaten Canadian dealers with the loss of their franchise if they sold to Americans. We underpaid for our cars and other consumer goods when our dollar was at 65 cents US. It sort of seems fair that we wait a bit for prices to drop now that our dollar has soared.

Back