News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm glad to see that Guitar Hero III will be launching at Best Buy and Toys'r'Us at the US price of $89.99... Future Shop for some reason though is still listing it for $114.99. I don't see how that even made sense at an 85 cent dollar.

20071023.jpg

Went to Best Buy to pick up the 2 of the Kubrick films which were released today on HD-DVD & BluRay. They only got 2 of the 4 films (something about a delay with the french inserts) & HMV had none of them. Picked up 2001 for $25.99, came home & checked on amazon.com & the same titles (all of which are available in the US) are $19.99. I'll buy what I can online now from the US. Enough with getting soaked through Canadian retailers.

Price parity: It's up to you

As loonie tops $1.03 U.S., Flaherty can only advise

Oct 24, 2007 04:30 AM
Les Whittington
Ottawa Bureau

OTTAWA–Canadians facing an "excessive" price disadvantage now that the loonie is riding high can only shop around and hope for lower price tags, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said after a meeting with retail executives.

"It is important for consumers to shop around and look for discounts and so on. It's important for people to realize that there is power to shopping around."

But, after getting an earful from retailers who say they are being unfairly demonized in the dollar-price uproar, Flaherty said "it does take time" for an economy to adjust to rapid currency shifts.

"Prices cannot be lowered overnight," he told reporters following a chat in his Ottawa office with representatives of the Retail Council of Canada and company executives.

Flaherty has been trying to stay out in front of surging consumer anger over Canadian prices, which are still significantly higher than those south of the border despite the loonie's meteoric rise against the U.S. dollar. He spoke in front of a sign that said: "Standing Up for Consumers."

The loonie surged as high as 103.9 cents (U.S.) yesterday, but finished trading at 103.51 cents, up 1.51 cents for the day.

Flaherty said one economic study comparing the cost of cars, electronics and other items in Canada and the U.S. found that prices remain 24 per cent higher here even though the Canadian dollar has surpassed the greenback in value. "A gap like that does seem excessive."

He pulled out a copy of the latest Harry Potter book, saying it cost $7.74 more in Canada than in the U.S.

"There should not be large discrepancies between similar products just because they are sold on different sides of the border," he asserted.

While dismissing the use of government regulation to force down prices, Flaherty said he hopes consumers in Canada will get some relief in the coming weeks and months.

"Canadians work hard to support themselves and their families. When they purchase goods, they deserve to pay a price that reflects the strength of the dollar."

Clearly impressed by the retailers who argued that their prices reflect higher costs in Canada than the U.S. for freight, import duties, language translation and other items, Flaherty said it won't happen immediately. "Canadian and U.S. prices may never be identical because of some of those unique differences."

Diane Brisebois, president of the Retail Council of Canada, said she didn't hold back in her complaint to Flaherty about his singling out of retail outlets in his campaign for lower prices in Canada.

"I certainly was quite outspoken about the fact that this is an issue that needs to be addressed with all the partners in the supply chain," she told the media.

In the case of retailers, they have to contend with international brand owners and large manufacturers, many of them located in the U.S., who have not reduced what they charge Canadian wholesale buyers to reflect the huge change in currency values in the past year.

She said some retailers in Canada have already reduced prices and she hopes that trend will continue as the holiday shopping season, a make-or-break time for most stores, approaches.

The Retail Council asked the finance minister to reduce the tariffs retailers pay to import goods so they will be equal to lower U.S. import tariffs – a move that Brisebois said would help end price disparities faced by Canadian consumers.

Asked if Flaherty was merely pushing the price issue for political purposes, she said, "I think the minister is concerned, as we are, with consumers shopping in the U.S. and with price disparity. I think, however, the meeting today allowed him to better understand how complex it is."

Liberal finance critic John McCallum suggested it is no coincidence that Flaherty has chosen to push retailers for price relief at a time when his Conservative party is trying to goad the opposition into triggering an election. Flaherty, he added, used a similar tactic with major banks earlier this year when election speculation was rife.

"It is pure and blatant political posturing," said McCallum. "He tells the banks to lower their charges and they tell him to get lost. He tells the retailers to lower their prices and I'm sure they'll tell him to get lost – politely. But they won't do what he says because he doesn't have any powers in this area."

This spring, Flaherty very publicly squared off with the country's biggest banks over automated teller machine fees, only to later back down on the issue. Some banks later made some adjustments for students and seniors.

Joseph D'Cruz, a professor at University of Toronto's Rotman School of Management, said Flaherty does not have "a strong leg to stand on" regarding price reductions.

"The way our competition laws are framed, you have to prove that the competitors are colluding with each other," D'Cruz said.

Apparently it's going to take up to 18 months for prices to fully change. That is such BS.

Obviously there's an excellent business opportunity here. Some enterprising person (perhaps one of the many all across Canada who's complaining about prices) can start up a store, import things at the current exchange rate, and sell things at par. That person would scoop up all the business!

In fact, I would think that the only reason no one has done that yet is because it simply isn't that easy.

My father--always ahead of trends it seems (loaded up on gold when it wasn't trendy for example)--is seriously considering cashing all Canadian dollars and buying US dollars--he believes 5 years from now, Canuck Buck will be back to 80 cents. A smart or dumb move--experts, what say you?

btw, having some knowledge of Supply Chain Management I can understand why parity would take so long to implement; much of the crap sitting on retailer's shelves today (and in stock) was bought with less buying power than today's buck would suggest. Things take time. Besides, by the time prices are at par the Canadian dollar could be under a buck again--then we'll have the media bitching about large price increases. 3-6 months are a more reasonable time frame for @par to take effect.

Then there's the car biz: selling 3000 Subaru's nationwide vs 30,000 in USA you can understand why Canadian car is gonna cost more.

I think our dollar will go back down, but not to the levels it was once at. But that does not mean the US dollar will go back to where it was either! Two very seperate economies. Ours is getting stronger than ever, and I think it's going to continue that way. However, we do have an aging population which costs the country a lot of money.

Indeed - and I nominate you and the rest of UTGA to look after me in my declining years.

Our Dollar goes further over here than it has in a very long time, though of course prices for everything in Britain are totally insane.

Obviously there's an excellent business opportunity here. Some enterprising person (perhaps one of the many all across Canada who's complaining about prices) can start up a store, import things at the current exchange rate, and sell things at par. That person would scoop up all the business!

In fact, I would think that the only reason no one has done that yet is because it simply isn't that easy.

The border acts as a physical barrier sometimes. It is like a castle wall where, in order to pass through, you have to pay duties, tariffs, excise, GST, PST, higher corporate taxes, stronger unions, brokerage fees, and forced bilingualism at the entry gate. It's a barrier designed to protect us and our (inefficient) companies from the evil (i.e., free enterprise, innovation, and competition) that lurks beyond our walls.

That's the tune Lord Black used to sing too, before he found out about the efficiencies of innovative, competitive US prisons.

The Canadian Dollar-now worth more than the US Dollar!

Everyone: I read all 7 pages here after noticing that for the first time in 30 plus years the CDN Dollar has taken the lead in value over the US Dollar. I find it interesting even with the greater value of the CDN Dollar many goods cost more in Canada then in the US. I would like to know if many Canadian retailers or institutions now no longer accept the US Dollar or give a rate of exchange pegged to the current Loonie value? As mentioned some things cost more in Canada-how is gas prices as an example cost today? Here in Downstate NY there was a recent article in Newsday mentioning the high price of gasoline and home heating oil-which many use in the NE USA including myself for my house. Gas is expected to possibly top $4 a gallon maybe early in 2008. Is the USA now cheaper to visit nowadays? By some posts here definitely! I check the exchange rates frequently now-at least once a week or more-May the Austrailian Dollar be next?-it is around $ 1.10 per US Dollar now. This will be interesting to keep track of nowadays! LI MIKE

if the canadian dollar were to drop to 62 cents, you'd bet the prices would be adjusted in a heart beat. what would become of merchandise in stock that was purchased for dirt cheap? it would be the most profitable.

I would like to know if many Canadian retailers or institutions now no longer accept the US Dollar or give a rate of exchange pegged to the current Loonie value?

The ones I've come across are accepting the US dollar at par. The US dollar will never go out of style [unless things such as Oil and gold etc... switch to being priced in Euros, which I dont see happening unless the Bushites somehow are able to continue their policies for another 4 years]. Bush royally f**ked up the U.S. economy, and now the administration has adopted [though they deny it] a weak dollar policy in order to reduce the US trade deficit that way.

That's the tune Lord Black used to sing too, before he found out about the efficiencies of innovative, competitive US prisons.

Nice straw man you put up there.

Back