News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

New loyalty program comes to stores October 28th. You will be able to use an existing Canadian Tire Options Mastercard as your loyalty card, a full size loyalty card for those who do not have an Options card, or a key fob, or simply an App that you can download to your phone. The Options card is the best value, since you will automatically get 10x Canadian Tire money when using it.

The loyalty program also means you will never have to keep a receipt again. Returns will be accepted from any loyalty members without receipts.

I find the whole Canadian Tire money "loyalty program" to be a fraud. This is why. Have you ever noticed that when you buy something at CT, that they give you back CT money as I guess a reward for shopping in their store. So let's say you get $1.00 in CT money. I consider that to be equivalent to a coupon equal to $1.00 off my next purchase. Pretty fair deal so far. At this point I don't consider CT money to be real money or legal tender. It's a promotional tool and that's it. You can decide to keep the CT money for later, throw it away, give it to a buddy, etc. Now, let's say you want to return the item your bought, with receipt in hand, and want your money back. No problem right? Well, not so fast. If you don't return the $1.00 (off your next purchase coupon is what I see it as), then they will subtract the $1.00 CT money from the money they would have refunded you back. This is, at least to me, quite fraudulent, since they have essentially converted fake CT money into real Canadian tender. Just imagine across Canada in a given year how many people don't bring back the CT money with their item to be refunded. CT most make a killing on this line item alone. With every purchase it notes the amount of CT money that goes out (just look at the bottom of your receipt). And another thing is that you can't refuse the CT money if you don't wish to accept it at the time of a purchase. Can anyone think of another retailer that does this with their coupons or equivalent??

I find the whole Canadian Tire money "loyalty program" to be a fraud. This is why. Have you ever noticed that when you buy something at CT, that they give you back CT money as I guess a reward for shopping in their store. So let's say you get $1.00 in CT money. I consider that to be equivalent to a coupon equal to $1.00 off my next purchase. Pretty fair deal so far. At this point I don't consider CT money to be real money or legal tender. It's a promotional tool and that's it. You can decide to keep the CT money for later, throw it away, give it to a buddy, etc. Now, let's say you want to return the item your bought, with receipt in hand, and want your money back. No problem right? Well, not so fast. If you don't return the $1.00 (off your next purchase coupon is what I see it as), then they will subtract the $1.00 CT money from the money they would have refunded you back. This is, at least to me, quite fraudulent, since they have essentially converted fake CT money into real Canadian tender. Just imagine across Canada in a given year how many people don't bring back the CT money with their item to be refunded. CT most make a killing on this line item alone. With every purchase it notes the amount of CT money that goes out (just look at the bottom of your receipt). And another thing is that you can't refuse the CT money if you don't wish to accept it at the time of a purchase. Can anyone think of another retailer that does this with their coupons or equivalent??

It's not a scam. It prevents people from purchasing an item only to collect CT money, and then returning the item right away while pocketing the CT Money, which is treated like legal tender in store. The policy is clearly marked on all receipts, so no one is scamming anyone. Majority of the customers do have the CT money, as returns usually happen right away anyway. Also, the option to return items is not a right. You agree to the retailers terms and conditions when using their return policy. There is no law obligating retailers to take back merchandise at full value. It would be like collecting Air Miles on a purchase, and then expecting to keep the Air Miles you earned after returning the item. That's not how it works.

In either case, this issue is moot point now. The new rewards program will not have this issue as the CT money will always be in hand.

Last edited:
It's not a scam. It prevents people from purchasing an item only to collect CT money, and then returning the item right away while pocketing the CT Money, which is treated like legal tender in store. The policy is clearly marked on all receipts, so no one is scamming anyone. Majority of the customers do have the CT money, as returns usually happen right away anyway. Also, the option to return items is not a right. You agree to the retailers terms and conditions when using their return policy. There is no law obligating retailers to take back merchandise at full value.

In either case, this issue is moot point now. The new rewards program will not have this issue as the CT money will always be in hand.

I follow your logic, however I still have an issue with the practice. Then why can't one refuse to accept the CT money at the time of purchase? If you only go there once in a blue moon, to buy a specialized item, and then within 30 days you want to return the item, but have lost the CT money, then what?

I follow your logic, however I still have an issue with the practice. Then why can't one refuse to accept the CT money at the time of purchase? If you only go there once in a blue moon, to buy a specialized item, and then within 30 days you want to return the item, but have lost the CT money, then what?

Consider it a restocking fee, or make the purchase elsewhere (Or pay with a credit card, as purchases with credit cards are not eligible for CT Money)

Last edited:
It really should be illegal if it isn't. They don't give you an option of saying no to the CT money. It's just automatically given.

I'm hard-pressed to understand why this is a problem. When I return an item, it's expected that I have saved the receipt and the original packaging. The retailer gets to dictate the rules of returns, and CTC requires that you also save the CT money. Since you also need to save the receipt, I'm not sure this is a hardship.

And, if one is incapable of saving the CT money alongside the receipt, we need to keep in mind how stingy CTC has been in recent years giving out CT money. You're going to be out 15 cents or some similar amount. Of all the genuine consumer issues out there, this barely qualifies as trivia.

It really should be illegal if it isn't. They don't give you an option of saying no to the CT money. It's just automatically given.

That makes no sense at all. You are not forced to only shop at Canadian Tire. Choosing to do so means you agree to the rules they set. You are also not entitled to return anything to a store. No store in the country is legally obligated to take back returns. Each store is allowed to set its own policy. Canadian Tire clearly says you need to bring back the money with your receipt for returns. If you don't bring it back, that is your fault, not CT's. Seeing as profit continues to increase and more and more shoppers are choosing to shop at Canadian Tire, the issue really is quite trivial, as Skeezix points out. It's an issue that barely affects anyone, since most people have no problem following the rule.

So the location at Eglinton and Laird may have new management but they can still not find their inventory. I went in on the weekend looking for something that they are supposed to have and they could not find any. It was not just one item, it was the whole category! I was looking for rubber boots for my daughters. They have tall and short versions. I wanted tall. Not a single pair of any size to be found of the tall. No one had an idea, but the system said they had multiples of them them in the size we wanted.

That makes no sense at all. You are not forced to only shop at Canadian Tire. Choosing to do so means you agree to the rules they set. You are also not entitled to return anything to a store. No store in the country is legally obligated to take back returns. Each store is allowed to set its own policy. Canadian Tire clearly says you need to bring back the money with your receipt for returns. If you don't bring it back, that is your fault, not CT's. Seeing as profit continues to increase and more and more shoppers are choosing to shop at Canadian Tire, the issue really is quite trivial, as Skeezix points out. It's an issue that barely affects anyone, since most people have no problem following the rule.
You're biased because you work for them.

You're biased because you work for them.

It's not a bias. It's just how the world works. I don't like something at a retailer, I don't shop there. It's that easy. People take their money where they feel happiest. If more people complained, I am sure the rule would be changed, but the majority of people who receive CT Money, and return items understand the rule and have no issue following it. If it's that much of a problem for you, ask the cashier to staple the money to your receipt. Simple.

It's really no different than a store saying they will only give you store credit in the case of a return. It's their policy, and their right to do so. They are under no obligation to give you back the full amount you paid for the item, or even giving you anything back at all.

Last edited:
More reason why it should be returned. It is now considered legal tender at the remaining Ottawa Senators games at concession stands and stores throughout the arena, possibly expanding to all games in the future:

MEDIA: Canadian Tire dough at 2 Sens games

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/09/23/canadian-tire-dough-at-2-sens-games

Don't have a $10 bill on you? That's OK, just whip out your Canadian Tire money instead.

The Canadian Tire Centre is adding some colour to their cash flow and will be accepting the famous retailer currency during the Ottawa Senator's pre-season games at all stores within the centre.

"The idea came from our fans back in June of last year when we announced the new partnership with Canadian Tire", said Geoff Publow, vice-president of strategic development.

"So, we've been talking to Canadian Tire about it since then and looking into how we can make that happen."

The announcement was made on the Ottawa Senator's Facebook and Twitter pages Tuesday.

Most of the fan feedback has been positive, said Publow, but some concerns have come up, mostly concerning how and where the money will be used.

All Senators merchandise stores, concession stands and restaurants within the Canadian Tire Centre will accept Canadian Tire money, no strings attached and with no limitations.

"Everybody's got stacks of Canadian Tire money that they've saved up over the years and I think our fans are looking forward to coming out and putting it to use," said Publow.

The money will only be accepted throughout the two home pre-season games tonight and Oct. 3.

Plans to extend the use of the currency beyond those two dates are up in the air and will depend on the fan's feedback.

More reason why it should be returned. It is now considered legal tender at the remaining Ottawa Senators games at concession stands and stores throughout the arena, possibly expanding to all games in the future:

I'm guessing this is tongue-in-cheek.

(BTW, it isn't legal tender because of a hockey promotion)

Last edited:

Back