• George Smitherman

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Rob Ford

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters
You mean something like Mel done with the Sheppard line! lol

Let's be clear on 1 thing...

I always defended the Sheppard line because

A) It was already build, so extending with the same technology is just common sense
-LRT is NOT rapid transit
-LRT is NOT even going to STC adding an extra transfert since it will replace the 190 Rocket on top of the Don Mills transfert

B)Rapid Transit is needed to link NYCC and STC and with the new Downsview area plan, a extension to Downsview is even more relevant
-The benefits of the Sheppard Subway on Sheppard Avenue East are obvious
-The line is successful even by being a stubway (it outperforms many subway lines around the world)

C) Lack of east-west Rapid Transit crosstown in this city
-Montreal has 2 and we only have 1...
-LRT will not fix the gridlock problem in this city
-Believing people will leave their cars for a streetcars with an extra transfer are living in a dream world

Am I anti-LRT?
No...

1-Wrong priority: My problem with SELRT is that it shouldnt be #1 ATT ALL. DRL and Eglinton subway should have been right up there.
Sheppard east with the 85 bus and the rocket are doing fine for now while Bloor-Yonge is already over the limit and Eglinton bus service is terrible

2-Wrong Corridor: More relevant on Lawrence Avenue West, Finch West, Wilson even Jane... I really don't see the urgency in Sheppard east
3-Wrong Technology: As I said Earlier, Sheppard Subway is already a success despite being a stubway. Extending that line would have made it more effcient and more useful and justify it's construction in the first place. Who would call Sheppard a Stubway if it was build as the original plans from STC to Downsview??? With the new Downsview residential plan, this line should go to Keele and Jane.

4-Wrong Technique: This is really where this line fails for me.
-Not going south on Mccowan to STC
-Not going at higher speed with less stops combine with a parralele bus service

If the LRT line was AT LEAST done right, it would have been more acceptable but a BILLION for THAT????

Now this being said....
Was sheppard a political decision...yes

In a context that Sheppard Subway didn't exist and they were pitching the idea, I would be against it.

1-DRL
2-Eglinton.
3-Sheppard--> I would have supported a LRT for Sheppard Avenue as a
a) Rapid Transit line (less stops + bus service)
b)Going to STC and leaving the bus to continue east of McCowan to the Zoo and the LRT going West to Weston

This project is overpriced for what it's worth and there are more pressing matters that should have been taking care of before wasting a billion on this

Last edited:
Ansem, if you do not like the SELRT, please let me not see you ride it to work once it is built :D

I'm proud of not blindly agreeing with everything a politician will throw at me, Thank you

The LRT study of Sheppard is pure BS. I studied the methodology of doing researchs in University and any teacher in the field will tell you this:

You can make a study say whatever you want it to say when you play with the criterias.

----------------------------------------------------------
RTES studied the ridership under this criteria
Sheppard-Yonge to STC= Subway warranted and succesful

Transit City Study used this criteria
Don Mills to the Zoo=LRT is warranted

Both studies are correct and accurate...
Sorry if I'm not the naive type of guym but someone "politician" pushed for Sheppard east to be LRT

Comparing
Sheppard-Yonge to STC vs Don Mills to the ZOO
is like comparing apples with carrots...
Duh!!!!!!!!!Of course the ridership will never justify a subway....

Logically what made sense was Sheppard-Yonge to STC but that routes was "OUPS, LEFT OUT" of the EA...
I really wonder why...

I'll never apologize for not be naive...

If Sheppard Subway was political, SELRT is even worse and at least the subway made sense

Logically what made sense was Sheppard-Yonge to STC but that routes was "OUPS, LEFT OUT" of the EA...
I really wonder why...

Because when proponents of a plan want to do something, they do not have to look at real alternatives. EAs do not require one to do the best choice. They have to look at the proposed plan, do nothing alternative, and third alternative. Naturally the third alternative is picked as something b.s., in order for them to ram through their EA. The EA has become a nuisance for them, and there is absolutely nothing that requires the better more sustainable choice to be picked over the dumber choice.

This is a major failure in the US and Canada.

I'm proud of not blindly agreeing with everything a politician will throw at me, Thank you

The LRT study of Sheppard is pure BS. I studied the methodology of doing researchs in University and any teacher in the field will tell you this:

You can make a study say whatever you want it to say when you play with the criterias.

RTES studied the ridership under this criteria
Sheppard-Yonge to STC= Subway warranted and succesful

Transit City Study used this criteria
Don Mills to the Zoo=LRT is warranted

Both studies are correct and accurate...
Sorry if I'm not the naive type of guym but someone "politician" pushed for Sheppard east to be LRT

Comparing
Sheppard-Yonge to STC vs Don Mills to the ZOO
is like comparing apples with carrots...
Duh!!!!!!!!!Of course the ridership will never justify a subway....

I really wonder why...

I'll never apologize for not be naive...

If Sheppard Subway was political, SELRT is even worse and at least the subway made sense

So is that a 'yes' or 'no' to riding the SELRT once it is built?

Are you crazy? Many people will use the SELRT once it is built!

People who are using the bus routes in the area...sure
If you think people will get out of their ways to take the SELRT and abandon their cars, you are in serious denial...
and you are approving 1 Billion being wasted for such a small gain...

You are settling for less than you deserve

The answer is no.

I live at Sheppard-Keele, 3 transfers to go to STC???

I'll stick with Yorkdale...thank you very much

People who are using the bus routes in the area...sure
If you think people will get out of their ways to take the SELRT and abandon their cars, you are in serious denial...
and you are approving 1 Billion being wasted for such a small gain...

You are settling for less than you deserve

The answer is no.

I live at Sheppard-Keele, 3 transfers to go to STC???

I'll stick with Yorkdale...thank you very much

But for the person who cannot afford taking the GO Bus from Yorkdale, the SELRT will be their only option

Are you crazy? Many people will use the SELRT once it is built!

HA! That's pretty funny. And actually no, I was pretty close to being right. Estimated ridership is what, 25k/day? In a city of 2.5 million people, that's 1% of the population. Hence 99% of the city will NOT be using it. I said nothing there that would qualify as 'crazy'. Maybe you're just dillusional in thinking that the SELRT will actually benefit the city at large, and hence is worthy of being the #1 priority for the TTC.

HA! That's pretty funny. And actually no, I was pretty close to being right. Estimated ridership is what, 25k/day? In a city of 2.5 million people, that's 1% of the population. Hence 99% of the city will NOT be using it. I said nothing there that would qualify as 'crazy'. Maybe you're just dillusional in thinking that the SELRT will actually benefit the city at large, and hence is worthy of being the #1 priority for the TTC.

Funny or the truth? What is funny is that despite you do not like ther SELRT, S.O.S. has not gotten up off their asses and protest to anyone in power why we should build subways. Crying about TC on Urban Toronto does absolutely nothing!

Like I said to Ansem...if you don't like the SELRT or TC in general, STAY OFF IT!

But for the person who cannot afford taking the GO Bus from Yorkdale, the SELRT will be their only option

Just like the current buses are their "only" option, i.e. you're not actually adding any riders, so why bother with the SELRT at all? It's so dumb, dumb, dumb. A principled look at the different projects would show that SELRT doesn't make sense, but ECLRT will be adequate for years to come (although it's hard to predict just how busy it'll end up being). SELRT doesn't bring rapid transit to Sheppard East, it doesn't get people to STC, in fact, I really don't know what it's purpose is. Probably because it doesn't have one, other than to try and stubify the Sheppard Subway permanently.

Funny or the truth?

How is it the truth when I clearly showed that you were wrong? To pull a page from nfitz's book: "Why are you trying to deceive us into thinking that "plenty" of people will use the SELRT when I clearly showed only 1% of the population actually would. Why are you lying to us?"

Will people ride the SELRT? Yes! it is the truth that people will ride it! Stop making crap up that no one will ride the SELRT

1% of the population! Is it worth spending $1 billion for an LRT line that will barely be an improvement over the existing service, and barely increase ridership? I can think of much better ways to spend $1 billion on transit.

Back