News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I will say that while I find the "urban LRT" thing very silly, I do think this info book is incredibly good.

That being said, they really need to protect for more grade separation. If they aren't doing elevated at Ellerslie they ought to do an auto underpass, could have a nice entrance off it for peds as well.
Hi Reese, wondering if you can fin d any use of 'urban lrt" before Edmonton started using it as a sales pitch.

The current trams are merely low floor LRV's while the older fleet is high floor, not an accessibility problem with platforms (which cost more), but higher car capacity.

Thinking we should be using the Blue Rocket as TTC uses Red Rockets for their trams, what do you think?

I will say that while I find the "urban LRT" thing very silly, I do think this info book is incredibly good.

That being said, they really need to protect for more grade separation. If they aren't doing elevated at Ellerslie they ought to do an auto underpass, could have a nice entrance off it for peds as well.
The urban LRT thing eliminates crossing arms and associated bells, which is great if you're living next to it.

I think an underpass at Ellerslie is the best option. Lower upfront construction costs, lower future maintenance vs a guideway. Also, unless ETS adopts extremely strict fare gates, I'm no longer in favour of enclosed stations, elevated or buried unless you absolutely need to pay to gain entry.

The urban LRT thing eliminates crossing arms and associated bells, which is great if you're living next to it.
Not for the high floor lines (Blatchford does feature that, but it's not an explicit policy change elsewhere from what I've seen so far). Here's how they define urban LRT in that document:

"An urban LRT system means:
● Building smaller-scale stations that are
spaced more closely together.
● Providing better links to a greater number
of destinations, with more direct transit,
pedestrian and cyclist connections.
● Reducing vehicle and traffic speeds in
congested areas to support safe,
pedestrian-friendly communities.
● Investing in landscaping, streetscaping and
architectural features to improve visual
appeal."

Not for the high floor lines (Blatchford does feature that, but it's not an explicit policy change elsewhere from what I've seen so far). Here's how they define urban LRT in that document:

"An urban LRT system means:
● Building smaller-scale stations that are
spaced more closely together.
● Providing better links to a greater number
of destinations, with more direct transit,
pedestrian and cyclist connections.
● Reducing vehicle and traffic speeds in
congested areas to support safe,
pedestrian-friendly communities.
● Investing in landscaping, streetscaping and
architectural features to improve visual
appeal."
Basically let's make transit slower and call it "urban".

City doesn't fully understand transit yet. Maybe one day...?

Basically let's make transit slower and call it "urban".

City doesn't fully understand transit yet. Maybe one day...?
The VLSE is Mill Woods to Downtown in 30 minutes. Just as fast as any express bus was, while making more stops. Ditto for VLW. The contract calls for a max running time of 44ish minutes (could end up being less), which is a little bit less than the existing 900x. But again, it makes more stopes than the 900x.
So, "urban LRT" with these two lines isn't slowing transit down vs. the existing options.

Could it be faster? Perhaps. I don't think the VLSE could have been much faster, and it probably the best route, or close to it, from Downtown to Mill Woods.

A line to the west is a bit different. I think you could have had a faster time to Downtown by extending the Metro Line from Health Sciences via 87 Ave, but at least the WVL will offer a comparable time or better than existing options.

What I do mind though is those damn plastic seats they are switching to..... they're uncomfortable and I keep sliding off when I wear a suit!

Is it normal for the Capital Line to run at 15-minute frequencies with the Elks and Oilers games? Or was it because it was a presason Elks game and road Oilers game?

Is it normal for the Capital Line to run at 15-minute frequencies with the Elks and Oilers games? Or was it because it was a presason Elks game and road Oilers game?
Saturday/Sunday frequencies are 15 min sadly, which is incredibly unfortunate. I'd love it if base frequencies were at 10 min but not sure if that'll change soon.

ETS typically wouldn't run 15 minutes for Elks games... I don't think. So perhaps because it was pre-season. The news release for the upcoming Elks season does note trains will be running at their regular frequencies. In the past they certainly would run a 5 minute service. The problem is, the Elks aren't drawing the attendance they used to. I would imagine they will be running 4 or 5 car trains however.

Saturday/Sunday frequencies are 15 min sadly, which is incredibly unfortunate. I'd love it if base frequencies were at 10 min but not sure if that'll change soon.
Saturday is 10 minute midday frequencies.

15 minutes now for Capital Line all day Saturday and Sunday now. https://www.edmonton.ca/ets/lrt-station-locations

Elks games are still attracting 20,000 fans and, unlike Oilers games, there's almost nowhere to park a reasonable walking distance away. The park and rides are their bread and butter but the LRT is still packed. I don't know how having capacity to move somewhere around 2,400 passengers in an hour away from Stadium Station in each direction is going to do for them. Especially southbound.

Yeah, I'm a fan of switching over to 10 min frequencies just in general for off peak and weekend service (my view on that will change once VLW opens, where I think we should move to 5-6 min on peak for weekends) but Elks/Oilers events are days where there should be increased frequency coinciding with game times. It's a really good way to get increased off peak ridership. 15 min is too much time tbh, even mentally, compared to 10.

Back