News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Re: Innovative Design Competition - Visual Transformation!

WASAW has a certain supermario feel that I am not totally comfortable with.

mpolo:

True, but a small area looking like that would be perfect for kids.

AoD

I agree with mpolo.

Foster et al's proposal would seem to me to be the most conducive to a great waterfront landmark. Something that instantly screams Toronto. The big pier thing seems to lack that... someone would have to sell me on it... seems like the northern half of a bridge to the islands. Half a bridge isn't really much of a draw.

Just like what any good Hong Kong person would do, I voted Foster! :)

Seriously, though... I think Foster's sail structures would make good sites for cultural activities on the waterfront. The West 8 idea is good too... could make for some interesting paving along the waterfront, something like Portuguese pavement.

I'm diggin' the Foster proposal too... but my inner cynic is telling me that it's unlikely. I hope I'm wrong... those things would be really cool.

I like the Foster proposal, though it does remind me of Dubai for some reason.

I'd like to go and see the proposals in person...I'm not very excited about any of the proposals based on the pics from The Star.

Wow, they all look pretty cool. I think the first picture is the one I like the least. It's so bare! And is that a flagpole or something?

Re: Robert Fung Leaving TWRC

I like the buzz generated by the exercise. I'm still a little fuzzy on the details of implementation, scope and budget of what it really is that they are trying to accomplish. I definately want to check out the panels although you often get vastly differing quality of detail in entries in these things. Some are just concepts where a bunch of shapes and figures are glued together where it looks like some poor intern stayed up for 3 days prior to the deadline at which time a senior architect strolls into a presentation having barely even seen the proposal and works the crowd like a used car salesman.

The Foster design looks neat and all but it looks like it's built with what an architecture professor once described to me as "thesis stone".

From the Globe:

Designers float visions of waterfront to the public

OLIVER MOORE

Five finalists have been selected in a competition to improve public access to the waterfront, including creation of a continuous promenade from one end of the inner harbour to the other.

The chosen designs will be unveiled Monday evening at BCE Place, one of several public showings before a final decision is made. The winner will be selected May 31 and initial construction is projected to begin in the autumn.

"We are thrilled with the interest in Toronto's waterfront and the creativity and understanding the teams have shown for creating a bold and innovative waterfront identity," said Robert Fung, chairman of the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corp., which is driving the process.

"We want the people of Toronto to tell us what they think. It's their waterfront and this project is about providing them uninterrupted, beautifully designed access to it."

The designs that made the short list -- which include artificial islands and plans to bury the Gardiner Expressway -- were culled from several dozen concepts put forward by teams around the world.

Competitors were given the challenge of working with the water's edge across the entire downtown, from the western gap, the narrow channel adjacent to the City Centre Airport, to a spot at the east end of the harbour directly south of Parliament Street.

They were asked to meet various specific criteria, including:

{bull} A continuous public promenade;

{bull} The completion through this area of the now-disjointed Martin Goodman Trail;

{bull} Improvements to Queens Quay Boulevard, the road along the waterfront;

{bull} Consistency of construction materials, furniture, boardwalks and railings;

{bull} A sustainable approach that includes habitat and water-quality improvements.

The five displays will be shown to the public at 6:30 Monday evening in the Allen Lambert Galleria at BCE Place.

They will be displayed there for two weeks and will also be shown at Harbourfront Centre, the Eaton Centre, Fairview Mall, Sherway Gardens and Scarborough Town Centre.

The winner will be chosen by a jury chaired by architect Brigitte Shim and including filmmaker Atom Egoyan, urban designer Ken Greenberg, designer Bruce Mau, landscape architect Claude Cormier and architect Lise Anne Couture.

Before rendering its decision, the jury will receive input from a community stakeholder committee, an advisory team from the City of Toronto, Harbourfront Centre and the Toronto Port Authority.

The final five

The search for a design vision for Toronto's central waterfront has been narrowed to five proposals. A panel of judges will announce the winner May 31, with construction set to begin this fall.

TOD WILLIAMS BILLIE TSIEN ARCHITECTS (New York) and MARTINEZ LAPENA-TORRES ARCHITECTS (Barcelona)

The heads of Yonge, Spadina, Rees, Simcoe and Portland slips would get roof canopies that shelter streetcar commuters and passersby, forming urban plazas on the water. Tall walls would slide open in the summer months, extending the pavilion into the plaza. In winter months and on windy days, the walls could close, turning the pavilions into self-sufficient microclimates.

Radical idea: The "green edge of Toronto" -- a new island. Made up of a landfill, anchored floating platforms, docks and "floating biomass," the large island would be reached by pedestrian bridges and watercraft. It would contain new marinas for sailboats, small powerboats, kayaks and canoes, and a low-rise, mixed-use development. Along the southern edge, the island would be given over to nature.

FOSTER AND PARTNERS (London) and ATELIER DREISEITL (Uberlingen, Germany)

Aiming to "bring the city to the water and the water back into the city," this design promises to pull the character of different downtown zones -- leisure, business, retail etc. -- toward the water, creating neighbourhoods at the lake's edge. Features would include stepped timber decks on the major slips, narrow waterways and pedestrian paths from the water into the city and, at Portland slip, an enormous aquatic complex with swimming, sauna and spa areas.

Radical idea: The Toronto Lanterns -- sculptural buildings housing "cultural, educational, leisure and commercial facilities" would be at the end of narrow piers extending from the Spadina, Rees and York slips. Also, it would include a scheme for burying the Gardiner in stages.

STAN ALLEN ARCHITECT (Princeton, N.J.) and SARAH WHITING AND RON WITTE ARCHITECTS (Princeton, N.J.)

The head of slips (Portland slip shown) would be home to "culture buoys" that provide a branch venue for city cultural and educational institutions as well as smaller cultural groups or for special events. A second phase would extend from these buoys, south to the water and north toward downtown, building new "places to stop, see, snack, play, buy, listen and learn."

Radical idea: West Island Forest would follow along the Western Channel with canoe storage, dog run, fishing pier, bird habitat and bar/cafe.

SNOHETTA (Oslo, Norway), SASAKI ASSOCIATES (New York), nARCHITECTS (New York), WEISZ + YOES ARCHITECTURE (New York), H3 (New York), BALMORI ASSOCIATES (New York) and HALCROW YOLLES HPA (New York)

Another design emphasizing connections between the downtown proper and the waterfront, this concept for "Toronto's new front porch" includes a huge skating rink extending into the harbour south of the Westin Harbour Castle (York slip). Also included would be public swimming facilities and public spaces framed by "water walls" that become ice walls in winter.

Radical idea: A long narrow gangway would extend out from the foot of Yonge Street, ending at a soaring narrow tower.

WEST 8 (Rotterdam) and DU TOIT ALLSOPP HILLIER (Toronto)

A paved promenade and a double row of maple trees would run along the waterfront beside a boardwalk and floating docks with douglas fir decking (area east of Spadina slip shown). Timber pedestrian bridges would span the Yonge (shown), Spadina, Rees, Simcoe and Portland slips.

Radical idea: A floating island shaped like a maple leaf would be created with a boardwalk surrounding a water-lily floating wetland. Also, the ferry terminal would be moved to the foot of Yonge Street to anchor a new market area.

AoD

The Star, by Hume:

Harbour of our dreams
The eclectic finalists in a $20 million international design competition took refuge in no safe harbourfronts
May 13, 2006. 09:15 AM
CHRISTOPHER HUME

Cynicism comes cheap in this town, a place where many are content with the breezy comfort of ignorance. This is nowhere more prevalent than on the waterfront, where, ironically enough, after decades of neglect, there are $800 million in projects underway.

For the record, work underway on the waterfront includes the recently completed dragon boat racecourse, the engineering of the new berm at Don Valley Park, the Cherry Street Beach clean-up, the John and York Quay promenades and the HtO urban beach park. That doesn't include detailed planning for the East Bayfront, the West Donlands, Lake Ontario Park and Commissioners Park.

Next is a program to knit the central waterfront from Bathurst to Parliament Sts. into a unified whole. To this end, a $20 million international design competition was launched several months ago from which five finalists have been chosen. Their submissions will be on display at the BCE Place Galleria, Harbourfront Centre, Eaton Centre, Sherway Gardens, Fairview Mall and Scarborough Town Centre for two weeks. Teams will present their work at BCE Place on Monday at a public forum that starts at 6:30 p.m.

Though the entries vary in quality, there's no shortage of great ideas. According to Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects, New York, and Martinez Lapena-Torres, Barcelona, we need a new man-made island in Toronto Harbour, connected to the mainland by pedestrian bridges at York and Simcoe Streets.

In the Wasaw Project, Stan Allen Architect, Sarah Whiting and Ron Witte of Princeton feel the answer is a series of pavilions and overhead arbours that extend the length of the waterfront.

Foster Architects of London suggests a number of extended piers that would climax in dramatic eight-storey teardrop buildings that could have different uses, from a boutique hotel to restaurants and shops.

More interesting was the submission from PORT, an international group of architects including Snohetta from Oslo, Joe Lobko, Toronto, and a gaggle of New York firms. "We didn't want to create one overarching scheme," explained Craig Dykers of Snohetta, "but find unity through diversity. We didn't want to make another east-west obstacle" — like the Gardiner Expressway, Lakeshore Blvd. and the railway embankment. "We were looking to find north-south connections."

Their plans include a row of 100-metre tall "light masts" that would sway gently in the water and change colour with the temperature. They also envision extending a pier south from the foot of Yonge Street to become the new island ferry terminal. Floating wooden platforms would bridge the slips, providing greater access and a much-needed measure of elegance.

Of all the offerings the most ambitious and convincing perhaps came from West 8 of Rotterdam and du Toit Allsopp Hillier and David Dennis of Toronto. They saw the task not just as an exercise in aesthetics, but also as an opportunity to bring the city into the 21st century.

They looked at the waterfront not simply as the space along and around Queens Quay, but as a part of the city that has been cut off and isolated. They propose the Gardiner be torn down — as called for by the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corp. — and that Lakeshore Blvd. beneath become the Champs-Elysées of Toronto.

Down by the waterfront, a wooden boardwalk would extend out over the water, much as it does now at the recently completed John and York Streets water's-edge promenade, only farther. They also float the idea of building two or three more urban beach parks like the brilliant HtO, now under construction at Maple Leaf Quay. Each slip would have a wooden bridge and a grotto-like feature where it joins the land, lighted at night from beneath.

Queens Quay would be reduced from four lanes to two and a streetcar line would run along the southern edge, most of which would be set aside for pedestrians and cyclists. Thousands of trees would be planted to re-establish the "green foot" of the city.

Hidden from view, well underground, is a large "interceptor tunnel," which would clean wastewater before it enters the lake. Because the tunnel is bored, not dug, it can be started even after the cosmetic flourishes above are complete. The filters that clean the water would be housed in the old silos at the foot of Bathurst.

The winner will be announced May 31 and work will begin this fall.

AoD

I'm excited as hell for this competition, but my limited brain is having trouble grasping the pricing. Is the chosen project supposed to be $20 million? How in the hell does one do any of these projects for that (seemingly low) amount?

Pretty sure that's just the cost of the actual competition. I would guess the pricetags would range from $1 billion - $10 billion (Gardiner burying).

Foster and Partners design is best. I would love to see their design come to fruition. It's innovative, ~intriguing~ and ~~modern~~! This is something Toronto needs to help usher it into the 21st century. What's more, I'm not in favor of tearing down the Gardiner Expressway. Part of the excitment of entering Toronto is entering it via the G.E. If you're approaching the city from the West, it's exciting to enter the city elevated and seeing the Toronto skyline in the distance. It's also nice to catch a couple glimpses of the lake when driving in.

At the same, doesn't $20 million seem like a bit much for a competition?

I'd like to know the story behind that figure.

Relax everyone. The actual cost of running the competition and paying the finalist is only around $250,000.

The $20 million quoted is the first installment or "quick start" phase to begin construction this fall (2006).

The winning submission will be rolled out in phases. However, in order to demonstrate to the public that actual work is starting on the central waterfront the $20 million will be spent on smaller projects, new light standards, furniture, pavers, boardwalks, railings, fixtures, trees, completion of the Martin Goodman Trail and maybe a pier or two depending on the winning design.

I encourage you to get out to BCE place tomorrow or within the next two weeks. The scale models and panels that will be presented are all worth the time.

Louroz

Back