News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Re: Innovative Design Competition - Visual Transformation!

.. oh too bad. I didn't see anybody I knew.. plus there was a massive turn out for this... Way to go Toronto!

Ok so here are my pics, I'll include my thoughts below:

DSCN0255.JPG

Held at BCE Place, under the lovely atrium
DSCN0254.JPG

Big crowd
DSCN0250.JPG

DSCN0244.JPG

DSCN0256.JPG

Can you name all the Forumers by the back of their heads? Give it a try!
DSCN0251.JPG

A fuzzy Robert Fung
DSCN0253.JPG

On to the models!
PORT
DSCN0240.JPG

DSCN0241.JPG

DSCN0242.JPG

DSCN0243.JPG

West 8
DSCN0237.JPG

DSCN0238.JPG

DSCN0239.JPG

Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects
DSCN0247.JPG

DSCN0248.JPG

DSCN0249.JPG

Foster
DSCN0245.JPG

DSCN0246.JPG

DSCN0259.JPG

DSCN0260.JPG

Re: Robert Fung Leaving TWRC/Central Waterfront Designs

Foster's is most impressive! They definitely have my vote as well.

I was also really impressed by the turnout.

Judging by the models and presentations, I'm going to go with Foster first, followed by the P.O.R.T.concept. Too bad PORT started with a poor presentation (the speaker wasn't very good) - I liked most of their ideas.

WASAW - the pea green and the shag-carpet orange made it look really dated, and the pavilions looked cheap.

The West8/Du Toit concept looked like they watched too many Molson ads on the plane here - Canadian Cliches abound, from the wooden bridges (which I liked), to the maple leaf-shaped lily pad island.

I felt the same about West8 ... too cliché. I did like their CN Tower Park and their CN Tower inspired light posts... but those items aren't enough to create a spectacular waterfront.
The presenter was quite funny though.

While all had good ideas I think the Foster's was the best overall.

I did like the fellow from West 8's comments on the CN Tower. Its the most recognizable landmark in the city and yet the base is horrid. Can you imagine the Eiffel Tower being located in a similar place?

I also liked that most of the proposals recommended reducing Queens Quay to two lanes for cars leaving the rest for the streetcars and people. We're onto something here. I'm glad I went.

^^ Ed, nonetheless, the CN Tower's base is set for redevelopment regardless of which proposal wins.

The TWRC is planning a Roundhouse Park which will cross Bremner and include the base of the CN Tower.

That leaves West8 with... humm.. their CN Tower inspired lighting stands and floating maple leaf. Hardly impressive.

My thoughts, ranked from the ones I liked least to best:

I will first mention that several, if not all the proposals called for a narrowing of Queens Quay and a greenbelt along the ROW. No matter who wins, this should be implemented.
Also a continuous public boardwalk is included in all five.

WASAW

They had.... I guess what one could call a model, but I didn't take any pictures of it. I really couldn't envision their plans for the waterfront. Imagine a bunch of tiny, oddly shaped pavilions theoretically sponsored by major Toronto cultural institutions (ROM, AGO, Zoo, etc), and that's the meat of the proposal. The 'Loop' theme is worked throughout the project, but to me their plans seemed more appropriate for an art installation rather than a master waterfront-plan. Too many endless pedestrian oval paths, not enough justification for anything they were doing. My least favourite of the designs.

Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects & Martinez Lapena-Torres Architects

Perhaps the most "Toronto" of the proposals. They frequently mentioned the practicalities of what would be housed (public washrooms, token terminals, etc) under their five canopies. But so what? Upon first seeing these canopies I had horrible thoughts of the hell-spawns from the canopy at Dundas Square - cheap, unfinished, bare concrete - no thanks! So they're proposing to cover five small areas with these funky roofs. Ok... and?...
Their PowerPoint slides were by far the worse of the bunch, seemed very unprofessional in that respect. It's not a stretch to say those in high school or university/college produce a higher quality visual presentation.
Oh they're also calling for a new island to be created featuring parkland, a Marina, a Native cultural centre, and a tourist trap street or two. Seemed rather unnecessary and useless, and by their own admission wouldn't be around till 2030.

West 8

The presenter basically said their project was cliché-overload, and that sums up their proposal. Take the quintessential 'Canadian-lake view' of large trees, a floating dock, and serene surroundings, and transfer that to downtown Toronto. That's their entry in a nutshell.
The presenter gets points for making fun of the CN Tower (he called it ugly, and showed a very unflattering picture of the base in his presentation), but howls of us imitating Dubai would be defining should this be chosen.
An island shaped like a maple leaf floating just off the shoreline? What do you do when you Kayak there? Why you just walk around a thin path on the perimeter looking at the pond in the middle of course.
As for winter usage - all the floating docks are tugged into the Portlands for safe keeping, so in other words they pack up and go home.
One thing I really liked about their presentation was the use of large trees to line the northern boardwalk. Ugly condos and city life can be temporarily alleviated when you've got a row of 50 foot trees in your view. Oh and they included a relative simple man-made reef under their piers, which serves to clean the water while stimulating passerbyers with views of all the fish swimming about. Also they call for a bike/pedestrian path just south of the ROW.
You may notice in the pictures above a multi-domed structure. This is not a part of their proposal directly, rather they're indicating that location would make a perfect spot for a landmark structure - and they suggested (to match their cliché-overdrive presentation) that it could be a Canadian-timber-igloo. No doot aboot it eh, this one's not going to win, though the winners may be smart to steal... I mean borrow, some of their better thoughts.

PORT

Simple-iconic, practical, fun; all words that come to mind for this presentation. The actual presenter was probably the weakest of the five, but the material behind it was quite strong.
You may notice in my PORT model above, several poles rising from the water. These act as weather beacons (swaying in the wind, and though they changed colours in her presentation I'm unsure if they'll do the same if built. Kind of like multiple-aquatic Canada Life beacons). Movement is huge, as these poles will move vertically, as will a number of their piers. In the third PORT picture above you can see a wavy platform - my understanding was it moves with the water levels, though if that's the case I couldn't see anyone utilizing outside of daredevils, the reckless adventurous teens on school trips, and the like.
There was a very neat skating rink creating use for the land in winter months, one that I hope the winner ste... borrows from.
On the whole I liked the attempt to define the Toronto waterfront with a series of signature structures, however the lack of activities at the end of their piers and the fact they are rather boring poles made me hope they are not chosen.

This leaves...

Foster

Oh Foster, you do great things, we get it. Though not all are happy with your work at the Pharmacy Building over at UofT, I think this will be your redeeming project in our fair city. I can't see them losing, in my mind they were just far above the other entrants.
Here's what I saw as their strongest selling features:
Iconic buildings at THE END OF THE PIERS thus drawing out users of all sorts. Beautiful structures that would instantly evoke 'Toronto' upon viewing in pictures. They somewhat remind me of the Burj Al-Arab, sitting out there in the water with a narrow path connecting them, but not too much that I fear endless parallels.
They acknowledged the difficulties of wind off the lake, and offer a relative clever solution of screens with seating on either side. They assume the smart pedestrian will stop and rest/relax on the bench facing the calm, with their backs and a screen protecting them from conditions.
A desire to bring neighbourhoods to the water was a major selling feature for me. Toronto is a city of neighbourhoods, it's how we define ourselves, and to have Foster's team acknowledge this, and seek community consultation to make each section relevant and desirable to the communities north of each section, shows class and intelligence. They don't micro-plan the details, because they want uses and projects that connect "the city to the water and the water to the city."
There was talk of an amphitheatre in the water, which sparked my imagination of what one could do with water and lights for celebrations such as Canada Day.
On the whole, I'm having difficulties finding fault with their plans. Their phasing of work seemed logical, and they were the most professional of the groups.

It's Foster all the way for me, just ask any of those who were unlucky enough to sit near me during our post-presentation drinking; I talked their ears off about how the Foster proposal was far and away the best.

I can hardly wait for the official announcement, and if all goes right, work to begin on their project.

As a side note, some of the weaker proposals are too dependent on the Gardiner coming down, or the railroad tracks being buried. I think it will be difficult enough paying for what's planned instead of creating plans that call for billions in additional funding.

Can you name all the Forumers by the back of their heads? Give it a try!

Shit... is that a bald spot I see?

I was there as well, and it was interesting to see all the presentations.

Thanks for the pics Canuck...I managed to see all the presentations, but didn't really get a chance to view the models and displays.

In a nutshell, WASAW actually surprised me, though I'd agree the idea probably needs more fleshing out. I also became more interested in the PORT project as she continued with the presentation.

The Todd Williams,etc. proposal seemed to be the least practical of the bunch. The actual plan for the waterfront seemed almost like an afterthought, with the focus being a new island they plan to create. I'm not sure how this would fit in the budget, nor am I sure how it's necessary given the fact we have a number of islands already. A lot of stuff they talked about for the island they plan to create seemed like things you'd see on the actual waterfront (cultural institutions, etc.).

The island itself seems to be not much more than a tourist trap.

I like their focus on nature, but overall I didn't care for the idea/proposal.

West 8 seemed to have the most stereotypically Canadian proposal. The presenter also came across as a bit arrogant and pretentious...practically telling us what we, as Canadians like, and the proper (ie. European) way of doing things. Most of the stuff they mentioned as being Canadian & things Canadians like (canoing, lumber, etc.) were based on the oldest stereotypes in the book. Its like they quickly gathered information on the flight over.

I did like their idea of smaller scaled buildings and revamping the base of the CN Tower and connecting it with the waterfront. Not my favourite, but they had some good ideas.

I seem to be alone on the Foster proposal. This is the one I was looking forward to the most, but the actual presentation seemed a bit thin. I think this is because I didn't get a chance to look at the models, etc. on display. I liked the teardrop like structures on the waters edge.

A question; when he was discussing them, he said they could be part of an earlier phase. Was he referring to the phases within the one year timeline for completion, or would these be put up at a later date? Or is there the possibility they wouldn't be put up at all?

o.k., put me down for Foster too......it's iconic, beautiful, and more practical than some of the others.....:smokin

Am I missing something here?

The Foster seems to ignore the foot of Yonge completely (maybe there's a panel/board I've missed) and the truly unique components... the iconic "lanterns" at the end of piers... are positioned as a later phase, funded by the private sector... one wonders if these will ever be built at all.

Their brief suggestion re: the Gardiner/Lakeshore is quite brilliant in its simplicity assuming north/south routes connecting to an elevated Lakeshore would be feasible. This "footnote" in the proposal is by far the most interesting possibility to me.

The PORT proposal, though not "show off", seems do-able and is well thought out... engages the lake in a very logical and inviting way.

Interesting Spacing Wire comment...

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although I have yet to see the full details of the final entries, I feel quite discouraged by the preliminary reports about the five finalists in the water’s edge design competition.

All but one seem to be infected by the over-design disease that afflicts the practise of architecture, and several include ideas that are so over-the-top that they will simply never be constructed, due to cost, engineering complexity or political opposition.

Why, for example, are we even bothering to talk about a new island in the middle of the harbour — a project that would take decades to build and billions to finance and wouldn’t do anything to address the accessibility of the lakefront.

Some of the others seem enraptured by their photoshopped conceptual cleverness, yet it’s not apparent that they will provide Torontonians with the one feature the waterfront so obviously lacks –a relatively spacious pedestrian and bike-oriented linear park at the water’s edge that is neither architecturally gimmicky, nor ruinously expensive, nor a tourist trap.

John Lorinc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The idea of building an island does have that Dubai grandiosity that really doesn't fit in budget or in landscape.

2314.jpg

The money used to build that could be much better used.

Having said that, It sure would be cool to be welcomed home on a plane to see this (great pics canuck36):

DSCN0237.JPG

The Foster seems to ignore the foot of Yonge completely (maybe there's a panel/board I've missed) and the truly unique components... the iconic "lanterns" at the end of piers... are positioned as a later phase, funded by the private sector... one wonders if these will ever be built at all.

Ah...this is what worried me. Aside from the lanterns, I wasn't terribly impressed with their proposal...the fact they aren't so much a part of the plan but merely a possibility is disappointing.

Re: Robert Fung Leaving TWRC/Central Waterfront Designs

I was sure going into the presentation last night that I was going to like Foster and nothing else, turns out my favorite was the one I new the least about. West 8 & du Toit Allsopp Hillier seemed to do the best job of actually connecting the whole waterfront from East to West as well as North into the city. I liked the way they played with existing features of the city, as well as adding elements that respect and honor Toronto's past. I thought a few of the ideas seemed a little over the top, but then I thought to myself how Torontonian of me to be afraid something different. I don't know if it was the presenter’s efficient German accent, his honesty about our city, or just the design but I liked it. I even liked the giant floating Maple Leaf bog they plan on putting in the centre of the harbour and lighting up at night from the CN Tower. A waterfront like the one proposed would make us the undisputed city of Canada.

A few of the other designs had some great features as well, and if we could mix and match certain elements I would be pleased.

Back