News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Re: Innovative Design Competition - Visual Transformation!

Foster still gets my vote as the best proposal. The model looks even better than the rendering. It's like a little Burj Al-Arab (not the Burj Dubai, Canuck... that's the world's tallest tower under construction).
Indeed thanks for the correction. I was too lazy/tired to verify my Burj Tower Names.

Foster's proposal had a very cool feature where water would be pumped up as far as Front street and run down canals to the lake.
Interesting idea that would (sort of) return water to T.O.'s historical shore.

Can you name all the Forumers by the back of their heads? Give it a try!
OK, I will! From left to right: spmarshall, BuildTO, ganjavih & FutureMayor. Now, what do I win?

Re: Robert Fung Leaving TWRC/New Acting Chair Appointed

Surely the proposals aren't carved in stone?? If the spirit and overall concept of a particular proposal is good can't it be tweaked to address some of the individual concerns cited? Personally, I like Foster's design because it is instantly iconic and is fairly unique, in a North American context at least. It is also clean-lined, modern and seems very appropriate for our lakefront city. That said, maybe a Yonge St. component for large waterfront gatherings could be added, along with a straight line walkway component.

From the Globe and Mail on Robert Fung's departure the temporary appointment of Peter Smith...

Forget the figurehead, waterfront board needs a doer JOHN BARBER

Yesterday, the board of the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corp. elected Peter Smith as its new chair, filling a vacancy created by the departure of former chair Robert Fung -- an excellent decision, one of its best ever.

Why? Because nobody knows Mr. Smith, and Mr. Smith, after years of diligent, low-profile service on such boards -- he is former chairman of Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. and current chairman of GO Transit -- seems to like it that way. Because what's needed aboard this boat now is competent management, not another figurehead.

The three governments that arranged for Mr. Fung's retirement, declining to renew his contracted three-year term, made a good first step: One fewer among the several hands now steering can't be bad. The pity is that Mr. Smith's appointment is only temporary. His patrons are determined to find another figurehead when what they really need is another Mr. Smith.

Mr. Fung's career epitomizes the problem. Initially introduced to the public as a hard-charging insider with an inviolate mandate to transform the Toronto waterfront into an international showpiece, he stood by loyally as the three governments who had nominated him to head the new corporation gently gelded it, thoroughly violating his mandate and rejecting the financial plan Mr. Fung proposed.

The TWRC became just one more of the small, squabbling agencies it was supposed to sweep away. Mr. Fung allowed himself to become a figurehead while the new corporation floundered.

Somebody had to do it. Faced with a choice between making a bold move and muddling through, every government involved found a reason to choose the latter.

The approach has its merits. Although Mr. Fung presided over the death of his own vision of a properly financed and all-powerful waterfront agency, he has muddled manfully throughout his five years in the allegedly top job.

Thus the shadowy decision to retire Mr. Fung is less consequential than it might seem. And given that the TWRC has become a typical political chop shop, there is little reason to disapprove.

The identity of any new chair is less important than their affiliation. Mr. Fung is a friend of Jean Chrétien and former roommate of Paul Martin. Any need to elaborate?

Although Mayor David Miller is getting more credit for removing Mr. Fung than he deserves, he is the one politician with the clearest incentive for seeing it done. His own future, to an uncomfortable degree, depends on continuing federal patronage -- or "buy-in," as they now say -- of the waterfront project. Inviting the new overlords to nominate their own candidate is an obvious, indeed necessary step.

But a new figurehead of a different ideological hue won't help the mayor explain himself any better to Toronto voters this November. Although the many bureaucratic cooks currently stirring up the waterfront broth have made some progress over the past year, "deliverables" are still scarce.

This summer will see construction of a wider Union Station subway platform -- hardly a waterfront project -- the announcement of a facelift for the Princes' Gates and the opening of a new dragon boat course in the western beaches. Bold moves, such as those featured in a current competition for an all-encompassing scheme to improve access to the waterfront, remain strictly visionary: pretty pictures with no real money behind them.

Whether he likes it or not, it is the mayor -- not a new figurehead -- to whom the public will look for results from its investment in the waterfront. That is why he once nominated himself to chair the TWRC, although he failed to persuade senior governments to go along with that and settled instead for a seat on the board. Now that he has helped clear the way for a Tory appointee, he has no doubt earned some modest reward -- perhaps something sexier than a dragon boat course and "interim sports fields" to announce between now and November.

He certainly needs it: Sitting on the sidelines while the island airport revved up and the province decided to double the already enormous footprint of its waterfront electrical plant, Mayor Miller has lately seemed as helpless as Mr. Fung -- another impotent figurehead.

Unfortunately, it seems that there's always room for more.

www.theglobeandmail.com/s...columnists

Interesting to see if Mayor Miller has "earned some modest reward" for this appointment on the waterfront. It's dirty, partisian politics, but it'd be good to see more movement on the waterfront.

Whichever architect dreamed up that harebrained idea of plunking an island just off shore needs their brain examined. If ever there was a surefire way of ruining the waterfront by blocking the view of our lovely lake, the little craft that ply it, and the Toronto Islands beyond - that was it.

Frankly, I thought it was a pretty poor show all round. If we can cobble together a plausible plan based on cherrypicking the greatest hits from all five entries ... I'd be surprised.

I think they tried to do far too much.

All of the little parks and residences that have been added over the last few years add more life to the waterfront than any huge piers, islands or other funky things extensions out into the water.

It just needs some tweeking rather than an overhaul.

Cut Queens Quay to two car lanes and widen the south sidewalk and bike path. Add bridges over the southern edges of the quays for a continuous walkway along the water.

Finally, figure out a way of keeping the restaurants from going bankrupt during the winter.

Ignore Gardiner. A mural on the bottom and much shorter light timing on Lake Shore is enough. Butt retail up to both edges of Gardiner and it won't feel that large.

Developers will deck over the train tracks eventually. In the mean time figure out a way to include some shops in the gangways underneath Union Station. Next seperate the sidewalk from the street with glass walls to eliminate noise and bad air from pedestrians and make it feel more like a mall.

With buildings partially covering the top of the tracks and retail underneath the tracks, they won't even be noticed anymore.

I love how the Globe and Mail failed to mention Peter Smith is a MISSISSAUGA citizen.

Not that being a Mississauga resident heading up the Toronto Waterfront Corporation is a bad thing. I actually think it speaks to the scope of the project that it is just not be a Toronto project but one for all of the GTA.

Louroz

I notice that the same people keep coming back to chair these appointed political boards - Gordon Chong (GO, Toronto Community Housing Corp, GTTA?), Peter Smith (GO, TWRC) and predecessor like Alan Tonks (until he got back into elected politics)?

Hopefully, Smith is a decent pick - it seems too many of these people are recycled over and over again.

And Barber's piece was a column - it never had to say where Smith was from.

Wow! I was very impressed with Foster's design. Not only are the 'sails' captivating and impressive by themselves, but the pedestrian 'hang-outs', boardwalks and docks for boats and ships are awesome! Foster's design is very creative and eye catching and one that will remain in a visitor's minds after they have left Toronto. It's iconic! It's amazing. It also gives the waterfront a new crisp, fresh feeling. And the 'sails' light up at night?! lol I love it! It's great and I sincerely hope that they get the green light to go ahead with it! Absolutely brilliant!

I really don't like the maple leaf(s) designs of West 8. Quite frankly it's very ugly, tacky and doesn't seem to have any use or purpose other than to shove our Canadianism into the faces of those who don't already know that they're in Canada. I don't like it. I do, however, love all the trees lining the streets. That's it.

Great summary of the evening and your thoughts on each design, Canuck 36.

By the way, the majority of us seeminly prefer Foster's design. Are any of us voting for them in this Star poll?

OK, I will! From left to right: spmarshall, BuildTO, ganjavih & FutureMayor. Now, what do I win?
A pat on the back of course. Self-administered I might add.

I love how the Globe and Mail failed to mention Peter Smith is a MISSISSAUGA citizen.

They don't mention it because it isn't significant; it's not as if someone from Ottawa is heading the TWRC. Same as when CBC reporters say "Toronto" when reporting from the airport.

Just some info on Peter Smith for those that don't know him:

Peter Smith was appointed Chairman of GO Transit in April 2005. He is a Member of the Order of Canada, and has served as chairman of the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, where he received an award for outstanding contribution to social housing. He is President and co-owner of Andrin Limited, a large developer of affordable housing in Canada.

He is also on the Tarion Warranty Corporation Board of Directors, some of his past credits include: Commissioner of Housing for the Regional Municipality of Peel, he has also served on the board of directors for OHBA & GTHBA, the General Manager of the Peel Non-Profit Housing Corporation, the Canadian Housing and Renewal Association, and the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (Washington).

Smith holds an M.A. in Public Policy from the State University of New York and an Honours B.A. in History and Political Science from McMaster University in Hamilton.

_____

I think he is a perfect candidate for the position as the waterfront project moves from the visionary stage to the implementation stage. He has tremendous experience as well as an extensive network of contacts in the development industry which should definitely assist in moving some of these projects forward.

beaconer:

I would not be too concerned with the costs of the Maple Leaf islands. They are not even remotely in the same scale as the Palm islands in Dubai. The largest leaf would probably just fill the tip of one palm.

In addition, with all the condo construction there is plenty of earth that already needs to be shipped and parked somewhere - that is how Ontario Place was made.

Can someone help me with posting a picture with a post? How do I go about doing this? Thank you.

Back