News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Re: Robert Fung Leaving TWRC/Central Waterfront Designs

While those "flames" of the other design are pretty, they could easily be big ugly un-used monstrosities in 30 years.
Maybe not the "ugly" and "monstrosity" part, but think of the pods of Ontario Place for a potential comparison...

Re West 8, let me be the first to nickname its foot-of-Jarvis feature "the hemorrhoids".

Oh, and speaking of that location, if we can tie in the reinstatement of the Redpath Sugar lettering (you know, the red letters which those Tate & Lyle clods trashed)

The Redpath logo hasn't been entirely removed, just downgraded. I wish Tate & Lyle would put little embossed ampersands on their sugar cubes.

The sans-serif letters on the north side were architecturally (and iconically, a la the Bauhaus sign) integral, regardless. To keep only the scripted logo on the west side is pathetic...

When will it be announced which design was chosen? I know that it's mentioned somewhere in this thread, but you know..... :)

An interesting feature in the March 06 issue of Report On Business that prices out some well know real estate in the country. They value the 16.3 km Gardiner real estate at $3.6 billion. Stanley Park in Vancouver was valued at $63.7 billion ($1,463 a square foot). Keele Valley landfill would go for $120 million if it weren't filled with garbage.

I had a chance to take a look at the proposal displaysat BCE Place today. Generally speaking, I'd have to say West 8 has the best plan (some of the cheesier elements aside). Foster has some good points as well, though it still seems fairly thin. A combination of West 8 and Foster would be nice.

I have no idea how the Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects & Martinez Lapena-Torres Architects proposal made it as a finalist.

From the Star:

Finally, waterfront waves
May 27, 2006. 01:00 AM
CHRISTOPHER HUME

Ah the waterfront, the waterfront. Never have so many felt so little about so much.

Or so some say.

But if the results of a Star e-poll are any indication, the waterfront has finally emerged as a major issue in the city. Since the poll went online two weeks ago, more than 5,000 readers have responded, which puts it right up there as one of the paper's most popular web polls ever.

Of course, this is Toronto, Canada, a city and a country badly enough run that many residents seem to have given up on their future. The most they hope for is that things just stay the same.

If only.

Against all odds, however, the $20 million international waterfront design competition has become a public event. True, $20 million isn't going to buy us a new waterfront, but if nothing else, the five finalists have given us reason to dream.

Their submissions, which have been on display around the city for the last two weeks, comprise a catalogue of ideas — good, bad and ugly — of what could be done along the central waterfront between Bathurst and Parliament Sts. Judging from the crowds that showed up daily at BCE Place, where architectural models were on exhibit as well as drawings, this competition has succeeded in generating some genuine excitement.

God knows that sense of engagement will take some getting used to. Torontonians have been slow on the uptake, but while they were yawning with indifference, work has started on Don River Park, the West Donlands neighbourhood, HtO, the urban beach park, Union Station subway retrofit (yes, that's an official waterfront project), the York and John Quay water's-edge promenades and more.

That brings us to the current competition; if it has garnered the most attention of all those organized by the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corp., that's because it's the most comprehensive. Indeed, there's a strong argument to be made that it should have happened three or four years ago, when the revitalization process was still young and our cynicism less entrenched.

But better late than never. The Central Waterfront Innovative Design Competition, as it's known officially, asked participants to explore, among other things, the boulevard along Queens Quay, its various slips, street lighting, promenade and street furniture. Some took the competition brief at its word; others, the most interesting, went well beyond.

The most compelling entry of the bunch, West 8, is also the most popular with readers, with 31 per cent support. Headed by Rotterdam landscape architect Adriaan Geuze, the proposal envisions the waterfront as a series of villages joined by streetcars that run along a Queens Quay cut down from four lanes to two. But Geuze also suggests the Gardiner Expressway be dismantled and a new "interceptor tunnel" be dug underground to trap and clean sewage before it enters the lake. The slips would be bridged with beautiful wooden structures to create a succession of intimate spaces. He would also plant thousands of trees to establish Toronto's "green foot."

By contrast, the scheme from Foster & Partners, the U.K.'s leading architectural firm, offers a much more striking approach. It received 20 per cent approval from readers. Foster's team proposes a number of piers be extended into the lake, three of which would climax in a large teardrop-shaped building standing eight storeys tall. Little wonder the plan has been dubbed "Dubai lite." On the other hand, Foster would also like to see the land around the Gardiner raised to the level of the expressway, and the street grid extended from downtown to the waterfront.

Architect Stephen Best of Foster & Partners rightly calls the waterfront "a wasteland the size of Central Park right in the heart of the city." But he also notes the enormous potential of revitalization. It is, he argues, the kind of problem cities would love to have.

Readers responded most enthusiastically to Foster's pointed structures. They would be an undoubted waterfront highlight, though unrelated to anything around them. Then again, perhaps that's their charm.

Far and away the strangest entry comes from Wasah, a U.S.-based team that includes Stan Allen, Sarah Whiting and Ron Witte of Princeton. Their submission, titled "Loops and Lilies," gained 9 per cent approval. It consists of a series of "overhead arbours" and "cultural buoys" located at the slipheads. These buoys are glass pavilions that could serve as small museums, restaurants, concert halls, whatever ... But as one reader put it, there's something slightly odd about the scheme, it's as if it were designed during an acid flashback.

One of the strongest entries comes from a group that calls itself PORT. It received 28 per cent support, second only to West 8. Led by Norwegian architect Craig Dykers, it would also cut Queens Quay in half and turn the southern strip into a tree-studded pedestrian walkway. The most dramatic gesture is a row of 100-metre tall "weather masts" that rise from the water, swaying in the wind. The team would also extend a pier into the lake from the foot of Yonge St., and relocate the ferry dock there. This is an extremely thoughtful proposal that demonstrates a thorough understanding of Toronto's waterfront.

Finally, there's the submission from Tod Williams and Billy Tsien of New York and Martinez Lapenia-Torres of Barcelona. It envisions a new island attached to the mainland by two foot bridges, at Simcoe and York Sts. It would also reduce Queens Quay to two lanes and add new ferry terminals at Simcoe and Jarvis Sts. Large canopies would be erected at five of the slips, each programmed differently, each a hub of activity. It drew 9 per cent approval.

It's important to remember that the proposals were prepared quickly and only taken to a certain level of detail. In other words, the jury must pick a winner based on approach rather than specifics. Still, each team has revealed enough of itself for that to be a relatively straightforward exercise. The announcement will be made next Friday. For once, it seems Torontonians will be paying attention when the results are released next week. So will the rest of the world. With its lineup of leading architects, landscape architects and designers from across Europe and the U.S., the competition has put the waterfront on the international map. In the cities where these participants live, and in any number of international architectural websites, the work of the TWRC is suddenly of interest.

It helps, perhaps, that non-Torontonians are unfamiliar with how this community, national and municipal, hates to make a decision. But there are people everywhere now who can't wait to see what happens here.

Given how slowly the wheels of government move in Canada, what's all the more remarkable is that construction of the winning submission is due to start this fall.

The city — and the world — will be watching.

AoD

I had a chance to take a look at the proposal displaysat BCE Place today. Generally speaking, I'd have to say West 8 has the best plan (some of the cheesier elements aside). Foster has some good points as well, though it still seems fairly thin. A combination of West 8 and Foster would be nice.
Is the display still on @ BCE?

When will it be announced which design was chosen?

According to the TWRC website, this Friday (2006.06.02) on John Quay (foot of Rees St.)

AoD

^ and according to that article in the star it says friday as well.

I was down at BCE place on Saturday, I looked at all proposals, and the one that had the dubai like hotel building on the piers were tiny! I judged this by the other buildings in size and it was shorter than pretty much all the buildings around it. (I just read the article above and they're only 9 stories). This was my fav but not now, West 8 is, aside from the corny maple leaf thing, it'll look great if it wins and happens.

Why not combine what everyone likes about Foster (the iconic sails) with the West 8 scheme minus the maple leaf? Since the sails are essentially intended to be landmarks, I would be in favour of scaling them up somewhat, perhaps to 20 or 30 storeys, rather than a mere 8.

20-30 would be nice, thats appropriate (atleast I think), but sadly if West 8 or who ever wins won't combine another idea from another competitor. Each obviously have their own visions, but good idea tho :)

I would be in favour of scaling them up somewhat, perhaps to 20 or 30 storeys, rather than a mere 8.

I wouldnt be surprised to see most aspects of the waterfront scaled up over time. Personally, I prefer the current scale they same to be aiming for with ranges of 5 to 20 storeys with most being under 10. However, another 5 or 10 years and I could see there being pressure to let developers push higher. 20 or 30 storey sails though? Not my cup of tea. For a postcard it might look fine but on the ground it would be way out of scale.

Back