News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Those awful markers are back and look even worse when lit. How do we have them removed. The area is already visually compromised.
Give it time. They're still a work in progress. When complete, there will be a switch that, when thrown, will send a giant arc of pulsing energy between the two poles. Not only will it be spectacular but, when you touch either of the poles, you will be instantly transported back to 1982.

I have to adjust my opinion on these markers somewhat. I came to notice that if one is within 30-40 feet they look great (IMO), further away the colour and lighting - basically the impact of the rainbow marker effect, is lost. Driving by in a car or cab they'll not even be noticed. For all that money it's a shame these weren't tested in real world conditions.

Those awful markers are back and look even worse when lit. How do we have them removed. The area is already visually compromised.

I could live with the markers, but I hate the huge electrical boxes that they installed a few feet away (really, you need a box that big for a single lit pole?). But to make it worse, they just installed a huge honking electrical meter outside of the electrical box to measure the huge electricity usage of the marker. So now we get a marker, with an electrical box larger than the diameter of the marker, and a meter as a bonus. The combination is terrible. Why couldn't we have gotten simple un-lit markers?

The problem with these markers is they look like we couldn't afford to really mark the village. I'm not opposed to the design, but they are so small an inadequate. There should have been one on each side of the street at both ends of Church. They should have been taller. Or they could have been an arch over the street. But it looks like we couldn't afford it and instead got these little stubs with big electrical boxes.

I give them 5 years at most before they are tossed out.

The problem with these markers is they look like we couldn't afford to really mark the village. I'm not opposed to the design, but they are so small an inadequate. There should have been one on each side of the street at both ends of Church. They should have been taller. Or they could have been an arch over the street. But it looks like we couldn't afford it and instead got these little stubs with big electrical boxes.

This. The first time I saw one of them, I didn't even notice it until I walked past it and did a turnaround. They definitely blend into the background too much.

There should have been one on each side of the street at both ends of Church. They should have been taller. Or they could have been an arch over the street. But it looks like we couldn't afford it and instead got these little stubs with big electrical boxes.

I give them 5 years at most before they are tossed out.
A gateway should be on both sides of the street at the same point of the street. These are just stupid and a pointless waste of money.

Maybe we could replicate this:

20100628%20CanadasWonderland-24.jpg

Last edited:
That's a brilliant find Khristopher. Those in a larger size - and perhaps even lit would have been so much less expensive and true gateway markers over all sidewalks leading into the Village. I'm falling out of love fast with our two existing gateway markers :(

A gateway should be on both sides of the street at the same point of the street. These are just stupid and a pointless waste of money.

Maybe we could replicate this:

I agree, markers need to go on both sides of the street, at the same point. They picked a terrible location for them. A big, gateway would have been much more festive.

the markers should be returned to the chinese factory they were formed in.

how does anyone feel about totem poles? like the ones in the ROM, except on the sidwalk.

Regarding the pole things, are the people behind this the same people behind the hideous (and dangerous) street name plaques? If they are – time to clean house!

Theyhave started to tone it down lately..less clubs, last year the street was not closed at all either.

This is incorrect. The street was closed. I was there!

Sorry, you are right, I got it confused with the fetish fair. I know that the city has started being stricter about handing out so many street closure permits on Church, as it was getting a little ridiculous at one point. They were closed for Pride, Church St festival, festish fair, Halloween and New Year's Eve at one point, I think.

Back