News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The Fetish Fair is gone, that's basically the Village Fair now (a more PG-13 related event) - and the street is closed down for that too

The Barn is going to be a bar/pub/restaurant? There's a sign on the door saying it's coming soon, with a name. I forget the name.

I bet it will fail.

Let's not be SO negative.. but yes the odds are stacked against it. I live around the corner, looked inside one day when they were working on the interior and it is far, far, far from being completed in terms of interior renovations. Not to mention the awful paint job over the mural and sides (i.e. half done).

From last night (May 13, 2013)

The Barn. Well, "The Stables" part of it, hopefully swept and washed, with some brand new signage. I went by the other evening, and the upper floors were featuring florescent lighting, with white paint everywhere. Kitchen or prep for lounge extension? The horrible old 'Barn' sign is still hanging as we speak.

churchgranby2_zpsb86c4086.jpg

Meanwhile, the view across the street continues to be a depressing grotto of shame.
churchgranby1_zps24ac37e2.jpg

I did a little photoshop reno-restoration of the Barn, stripped of all those crap excresences put on it over the years, and put Glad Day Bookshop in it. I think that would be nice.

smhs.jpg

Nicely done CN, I'd like to see the paint stripped though I wonder if the two joined properties would match. I'd love the idea of Glad Day being here, but for a struggling, independent book store being off Yonge might be the end of it.

I'm confused. Do gay people have some predisposition to liking banal "ye olde" theme pubs with crummy food? Because it seems like there are a lot of them in and around the village and they usually smell bad and look like they haven't been cleaned properly in decades. For a demographic that supposedly has lots of expendable income and appreciates novelty and style, the local merchants seem to be providing dining options that would be more appropriate in a small-town Ontario student ghetto. They say the village is dying, but it's probably because nobody is doing anything to make the village establishments interesting or appealing - so the gays go elsewhere. Why wouldn't they?

What restaurants are you talking about? There's a good two dozen sit-down restaurants on Church St. alone between Gloucester St. & Wood St., and your saying they are all dirty and smell? I've been out maybe half a dozen times to restaurants in that area this year and haven't noticed any problem - and I would have. There are two pub-style restaurants at Maitland & Church that came in maybe 7 or 8 years ago, could it be them?

I'm confused. Do gay people have some predisposition to liking banal "ye olde" theme pubs with crummy food? Because it seems like there are a lot of them in and around the village and they usually smell bad and look like they haven't been cleaned properly in decades. For a demographic that supposedly has lots of expendable income and appreciates novelty and style, the local merchants seem to be providing dining options that would be more appropriate in a small-town Ontario student ghetto. They say the village is dying, but it's probably because nobody is doing anything to make the village establishments interesting or appealing - so the gays go elsewhere. Why wouldn't they?
Not all LGBTQQs are affluent, upper-middle class, white men.

Yes, it's true that not all of us gays are affluent, upwardly-mobile (young and attractive) white men but most people in the community want to be associated with that demographic and therefore advertising and any social-status-related aspect will have a spotlight on that type of demographic. Given Toronto's diversity however, you'll occasionally see a non-white male thrown in for 'diversity/inclusion's sake' so there won't be too many complaints from persons of color. :)

Oh, we have deviated from the thread a tad bit too much; let's revert back, shall we? :)

Yes, it's true that not all of us gays are affluent, upwardly-mobile (young and attractive) white men but most people in the community want to be associated with that demographic and therefore advertising and any social-status-related aspect will have a spotlight on that type of demographic. Given Toronto's diversity however, you'll occasionally see a non-white male thrown in for 'diversity/inclusion's sake' so there won't be too many complaints from persons of color. :)

Oh, we have deviated from the thread a tad bit too much; let's revert back, shall we? :)

It's no deviation from the thread at all, it's the neighbourhood being discussed here.
The Village is and has been since it's informal inception a place for all people to live in a community that is accepting of all people no matter what their age, gender, colour of skin, body shape/size, hair colour, income status, sexual orientation or how one self identifies. It's a very inclusive place. As rents in many buildings have skyrocketed in the past 15 or so years and condos have gone up the median wage has increased but no one person is better than the other, despite how they may dress or act. Remember also that a lot of people who come to the Village do not live here, they come from nearby, the suburbs, out of town and are tourists so what you see by day or night is not necessarily a true reflection of the people who call this neighbourhood home. Tip: if they have a dog at their side they most likely live nearby!

Back