News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

ACME burger has been closed by the bailiff...

1907356_10154356116965249_1599740552132252719_n.jpg

Won't miss this spot. Waste of a patio, anti-alcohol owner and from all accounts terrible food.

Maybe a bad rumour, but I've also heard that both Church on Church's and Flash's buildings are for sale. It could impact the future of both businesses unfortunately.

Attachments

• 1907356_10154356116965249_1599740552132252719_n.jpg
    1907356_10154356116965249_1599740552132252719_n.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 703
I'm actually surprised that Acme hung around as long as it did.

I was predicting Acme would close from the day they stated that they were a "family restaurant" that would not serve alcohol. That was intended to keep the gays away and it worked. Hopefully something a lot more festive will open there. Please, no banks, dry cleaners or nail salons.

I swear Acme has been on the verge of closing for two years now.

I believe I called one year on Acme Burger, they lasted a year & a half. Watch Second Cup expand their patio in the next couple of weeks until a new business goes in there. Probably not until next summer.

I was interested to see how many businesses would close immediately after Pride....

Any bets on how long "Maison" will last in the old Vic Pub spot?

Agreed. Well, and corporate floats in general, I dunno. I'm ambivalent every year about the big corporate presence at Pride. I'm a realist, and I get that events this big don't happen without sponsorship, but for every company like TD who walks the walk year-round, diversity-wise, there's two brands like Bud Light that are incredibly heteronormative the rest of the year. This year it seemed like it hit a new low. Lucky Charms, anyone? Unless that stupid leprechaun is gay now, that doesn't have anything to do with anything and their presence is kind of insulting.

I wish people would do a little research before making misleading comments. For a Fortune-500 company General Mills is just about one of the most supportive of the gay community and has been for years, which is laudable considering many of their brands are widely known as family brands, from the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

General Mills is taking a stand against a proposed state constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage, becoming the most prominent corporate voice making such a public declaration.

Chief executive Ken Powell voiced the company's opposition Wednesday at a General Mills function attended by 400 gay and lesbian professionals, followed Thursday by a Web letter from the company's vice president for global diversity and inclusion, Ken Charles.

"We do not believe the proposed constitutional amendment is in the best interests of our employees or our state economy," Charles wrote. "We value diversity. We value inclusion."

Taking a corporate position on such a politically charged issue as gay marriage is a risky move for a big company like Golden Valley-based General Mills, with such well known brands as Cheerios and Yoplait.
http://www.startribune.com/business/159143335.html

Corporate support can be a very good thing for the community and gay rights etc., and the sponsorship is definitely needed.

As for the quality of the floats it's really up to Pride Toronto to up the ante. Perhaps they could offer prizes for best floats (which would be further promotion for the company or organizations that win) or set some standards required for admission. There must be a way. For an event the size of World Pride in Toronto this year the displays on offer were pretty embarrassing.

Just catching up on this thread. A few comments:

-Pride was great - packed (probably too packed but that speaks to its success), good weather, lots of out-of-towners, lots of business for the city, lots of colour -- i loved it!
-Happy to see Acme Burger close. Hah! Serves them right for coming out as a "family-oriented" business in the middle of the gay village. Good riddance.
-Is Zaza really taking over that space? Awesome! I get a gelato from their Yorkville location a few times a week, and it's heavenly (although not cheap)
-House/Maison is supposed to be temporary (read: summer). We'll see what happens to that huge space afterwards.
-I'm sad to see Fly officially close.

I wish people would do a little research before making misleading comments. For a Fortune-500 company General Mills is just about one of the most supportive of the gay community and has been for years, which is laudable considering many of their brands are widely known as family brands...

That's great to hear, and if General Mills wanted to be in the parade and say "here's what our company values, and here are the stands we've taken," or "here are some people from our company who are part of and/or want to support this community", I would be happy with that. My specific issue was that their entry was literally just "breakfast cereal exists". Obviously a parade is hardly a venue for subtlety, but there wasn't any indication of General Mills' laudable corporate stance; the exact ad/float could have been plunked into the Macy's or Santa Claus parades with no modification. (Ditto Marriott's float.) Maybe I'm splitting hairs and I'm likely not explaining myself well, I apologize.

That's great to hear, and if General Mills wanted to be in the parade and say "here's what our company values, and here are the stands we've taken," or "here are some people from our company who are part of and/or want to support this community", I would be happy with that. My specific issue was that their entry was literally just "breakfast cereal exists". Obviously a parade is hardly a venue for subtlety, but there wasn't any indication of General Mills' laudable corporate stance; the exact ad/float could have been plunked into the Macy's or Santa Claus parades with no modification. (Ditto Marriott's float.) Maybe I'm splitting hairs and I'm likely not explaining myself well, I apologize.

Lucky Charms has rainbows, so perfectly suited to Pride :)

... and it's not like any of the other floats were that great either. Everybody could step it up.

... and it's not like any of the other floats were that great either. Everybody could step it up.

You must have missed the Toronto Gay Hockey League's float, complete with mock ice rink + nets, penalty box, and zamboni.

Back