News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Guys, the Black Eagle is the one place I go on Church where a wide variety of music can be heard. It's certainly not scheduled as an event and fully up to the bartender. But it's the one place where I find myself asking the bartender what's playing.

There's plenty of gay "rock" nights at The Beaver, The Press Club, Augusta House, etc. But yes, something in The Village would instantly add something different to do.

The Press Club has a gay rock night? Tell me more. I like that place.

There's plenty of gay "rock" nights at The Beaver, The Press Club, Augusta House, etc. But yes, something in The Village would instantly add something different to do.

Hmm I can't say I've heard of any of those places you've mentioned...

I'm sort of jealous of the straights and their multi tiered dance clubs. Our neighborhood has been virtually zoned out of the club business in favor of bars. Granted the real estate on Church & area is prohibitively expensive for new club construction but still it's kinda sad.

That's true too actually. I was there a few weeks back and was quite astounded to hear so much good music (i.e., Crystal Castles, The Doves, Arcade Fire, etc.) They even pipe it into the back area. :p

Weird, I would have never guess that.

What are you guys referring to when you mention "Rock"? Just curious. Like you want to pull it out and air-strum it to Nickleback?

I'm referring to indie, alternative, modern rock which a good DJ will often mix with a fair bit of electronic and urban music.

The Press Club has a gay rock night? Tell me more. I like that place.
I'm not sure if there's anything regular to be honest, but was at a 90s night a few weeks back with a gay d.j. and many gays in the house. From what I can tell though, the place tends to usually have a healthy gay scene, even on nights that aren't exclusively gay.

Hmm I can't say I've heard of any of those places you've mentioned...
You've honestly never even heard of The Beaver? It's pretty central to understanding the westward march of gay Toronto even if it isn't your thing. Regardless, I'd recommend checking out places like WAYLA (in Leslieviile) and some of the west-end nights. It may revive your faith in Gay Toronto.

Last edited:
Or even good dance music/electronica. Not endless Lady Gaga mixes. The problem with bars like the Beaver and the Eagle is they aren't really dance clubs, they're bars and bar culture is a totally different animal. Yeah I can go stand and listen to good music but it's not conducive to whipping myself up into a bacchanal.

That could be .... interesting, I suppose. Trying to imagine butch dykes in Hooters t-shirts.

Back