News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

what the village really needs is a real club, with a sizable dance floor or three.

I strongly agree, unfortunately there's no existing space on the strip that could accommodate a large dance club without building on one of two empty lots between Carlton & Gloucester Sts.

There IS Fly. Probably the closest thing to a "real" club. But I kinda like spaces like The Barn and Buddies -- I always have fun when I'm there. I guess a full-on club would be nice too, but if Fly is any indication of what a "real" club would be like, I'm not particularly eager about the idea. Fly is probably my least favourite place to be (except for Dance Camp/Grapefruit Fridays).

you guys need to branch out at bit...i love going to the guvernment, especially on their all access nights where all the different rooms are open....rated as one of the best nightclubs in the world, there is always a nice percentage of gay guys there, not to mention your closet cases....tired of seeing the same old faces in the village every weekend? go to a str8 bar and see some fresh ones ;)

what about the old zelda's on church ?

That space is far too small for a dance club, and with all the windows it would likely be concern for noise transmission into the neighbourhood too. Perhaps demolishing it and rebuilding a more efficient space could be a possibility, though probably cost prohibitive.

well Leslieville is awash in huge warehouse space below Queen. Not sure what the zoning laws are like there but it's be a good place for a gay club or 2.

I agree that the old Zelda's needs to be torn down and turned into a new danceclub!

I read an interesting article recently in NOW re: the demise of Toronto's 'clubs', and how they're being replaced with smaller local-pub types; ie: Queen West. I've been spending a lot of time out there recently (Beaver, Beaconsfield, Wrong Bar, Drake, Soacial.. til it closed?).

Fly is ok on DanceCamp/Grapefruit nights, but there really isn't anywhere for the younger, new generation of gays that can't appreciate 90's dance or 2000s house. They want 2000s dance/top 40.

Another problem in the village is the new influx of douchie neighbours.. you can't even drink on Crews' patio past 11pm.. wtf!?

Tear down the ugly Zelda's shell, build a great dancehall, and play a good mix of music.. I'm sick of the same shit at every club all the time. What about a rock night!?

Another problem in the village is the new influx of douchie neighbours.. you can't even drink on Crews' patio past 11pm.. wtf!?

I heard that either the Tenants Association or a group of residents at the Village Green complex fought to keep both Crews and then the patio closed prior to them getting their license, I'm surprised Crews got the patio opened at all let alone licensed. I just don't get people who move into a vibrant, bustling, downtown neighbourhood and expect peace and quiet at night. I lived next door to Crews/Tango at the Alexus condo for several years. My corner unit faced both east onto Church Street and north overlooking what was then Gatsby's Restaurant & then Crews/Tango. We could hear a bit of the noise from everywhere at night if the windows were opened, but when we closed them to go to bed everything was fine. The only problem we ever had was with a club called The Red Spot (now Chino Burritos or something) that would play really loud dance music with strong bass starting around 9 or 10pm with their windows open until 2:00-2:15am every night. One chat with Kyle Rae in the lobby a few months in and a couple of calls to the City Noise Inspector ended that problem. They kept their windows closed, played their music as loud as they wanted and everyone was happy. Solved. None of the nearby patios caused anyone in our building any grief.

What happened to Rock n Roll Fag Bar? That used to be fun. I too do enjoy Buddies on occasion but definitely not for the music which I really need to be drunk to appreciate. Gays like rock too and we like retro.

Back in the day I would have loved a gay club to play some rock. But there hasn't been much rock I've liked in many years. Still, a rock night might work.

I'd love to see a club where Zelda's is now. Like, a specially built building for a club, not like Crews/Tango. A real club. With different themed nights. Rock night. Hip-hop night. Top 40 night. Dance night. Or different themed rooms. I'm thinking along the lines of Unity and Sky Bar in Montreal. They're popular but they're still enough room to breathe.

Back