News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Was there a left-turning lane on the East side of Wellesely, at Church? I feel like there was, and that they recently removed it. Anyways, if they did, they are idiots, because traffic seems to be snarled worse than ever at this intersection.

Was there a left-turning lane on the East side of Wellesely, at Church? I feel like there was, and that they recently removed it. Anyways, if they did, they are idiots, because traffic seems to be snarled worse than ever at this intersection.

Yes it appears that there was a dedicated left turning lane on Wellesley heading west. If you look at the aerial image on Bing.com you can see the dedicated lane with the left hand arrows. On the newer Google street view you can see that this lane is gone. Presumably this was done to accommodate the bike lane.

Yes, there were north and south turning lanes off Wellesley until the bike lanes went in last year. It's also a busy pedestrian intersection which doesn't help matters for those making right hand turns plus there are bus stops at each corner so several factors slow down vehicular movement through here.

Lots of work going on here.

zeldasd23.jpg

Hmm, but the for lease sign is still up. Maybe they are just renovating it into a more modern state or usable space.
Also, are they trying to lease it privately, without a realtor? That phone number is for a property management company.

Last edited:
Hmm, but the for lease sign is still up. Maybe they are just renovating it into a more modern state or usable space.
Also, are they trying to lease it privately, without a realtor? That phone number is for a property management company.
If one is leasing you can certainly do so through a leasing agent or property management company rather than a realtor.

They really screwed themselves by pushing Zelda's out with the high rent increase, it was a lose-lose deal for both the landlord and Zelda's. Hopefully the 'For Lease' sign just hasn't been taken down yet, I doubt they'd put any more money into this. They already stripped the interior and painted everything white about a year ago.

Hmm, intriguing! I wonder what's going on there.

Also, serves the landlord right for kicking out Zelda's with high rent. I really do miss the resto being at that spot. It's not that I went in there often but it was always a hub of activity. That side of the street is dead now. I'll stay tuned...

I just hope the Church Street strip extends down toward Ryerson so that whole gay 'village'/'strip' is more than just a few blocks! We need more places to entertain; the retail/entertainment strip is too small....Montreal's is way bigger and Vancouver's is probably comparable to ours (although they have less nightclubs).

PS - I wish all of the arteries of downtown East (the rest of Church Street, Jarvis, and the East - West streets from Queen to Front had more retail/entertainment)! Things really die off after Yonge on the East side...hopefully this changes with all the developments for the PanAm games, etc.

The problem is, aside from The Barn and Hair of The Dog, there are no actual buildings on the street to extend the village.
The school yard, the apartment building's garden, MLG and the parking lot across from MLG make a rather insurmountable gap. Even when you get to The Barn there's more parking lots and that quirky strip plaza now home to Guu.

Also, why has that parking lot across from MLG not been developed yet? Or at least had a proposal? Someone must be holding out for big bucks.

Last edited:
And on top of that, queer sceneness in the Toronto of 2010 is no longer confined to the Village--think Parkdale or wherever else the ghost of Will Munro looms...

New Greek place going in to where the nail joint was below sweet lulu and next to flatirons.

Brilliant. Greek food is killer.

Oh that's neat. Although didn't that Greek place (Yfesis or something) fail? I wonder why you think this place will do well.

Did I say that I thought it would do well anywhere in the post you quoted?

All I said was that I was content that an establishment that sold Greek-style prepared foodstuffs was being opened, due to the fact that I enjoy to consume said style of food.

My opinion as to the commercial viability of the location was never stated.

And Yefseis did come and go, but apparently it was due to factors beyond the lack of traffic. However, thankfully, Hero Burger's still doing well vending $8 frozen burgers direct from the shelves of No Frills.

Back