News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Stop allowing these people in to our country, and that would definitely help.

Some of "these people" are gay/bi/trans/otherwise queer themselves. They will have a much easier life here in Canada than they would have in their countries of origin. I'm not defending the attacks, but teenagers are cruel everywhere (whether to the LGBT community, "the fat girl," the kid in a turban, etc.). When I was in highschool, it was overwhelmingly the Canadian-born kids who targetted me, and it was a Canadian-born white kid who spat on this faggot on the streetcar a few months ago. These are a few misguided kids out of a population of thousands of refugee children (if they are indeed refugees) in this city. It is absolutely no reason to become a knee-jerk xenophobe. Afterschool programs, cross-cultural dialogue, Queer-focused campaigns in highschool, etc. will do far more to ensure this behaviour ceases than shutting our borders to the needy and desperate. Racism and xenophobia will do nothing but distance two communities that must live, daily, side-by-side.

Seriously. How did this thread suddenly turn so racist and xenophobic? "Those people"? "Refugees"? Good job guys.

The "Greek in the Village" restaurant is now open (just north of Woody's).

I had the Gyro wrap which was served on the authentic Greek pita bread (not the paper thin wraps the Mediterranean shops use). It was packed with plenty of meat however next time I will ask for more tzatziki sauce and more tomatoes and onions since it was lacking in these key ingredients. Overall a satisfying snack for $5.49 (incl tax).

The "Greek in the Village" restaurant is now open (just north of Woody's).

I had the Gyro wrap which was served on the authentic Greek pita bread (not the paper thin wraps the Mediterranean shops use). It was packed with plenty of meat however next time I will ask for more tzatziki sauce and more tomatoes and onions since it was lacking in these key ingredients. Overall a satisfying snack for $5.49 (incl tax).

Sweet!! I love Greek, and I love cheap food, and I like meat. This sounds promising lol

Uh oh...This is troubling =(

Police investigate alleged hate crime in Gay Village - Toronto Star

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...tigate-alleged-hate-crime-in-gay-village?bn=1

Crazy, eh? If this is a sign of the things to come, they are getting a message from somewhere that it's okay to bash gays. That's why I think it dangerous to think that all is good and homophobia is long gone. There is still a strong hatred for homosexuality within some of the straight community, some of it religiously based, some of it just plain ignorance.

There is still no action at Straight Lounge in the past three or four weeks. It appears abandoned looking in through the window then this week it got papered up. Perhaps it's a renovation but there's no notice posted anywhere or on their website (which hasn't been updated since December) so it may be done. There were always lineups on the weekends but perhaps they still couldn't make a go of it.

There is still no action at Straight Lounge in the past three or four weeks. It appears abandoned looking in through the window then this week it got papered up. Perhaps it's a renovation but there's no notice posted anywhere or on their website (which hasn't been updated since December) so it may be done. There were always lineups on the weekends but perhaps they still couldn't make a go of it.

I never cared for Straight, but I know it served its purpose and pleased many. Hopefully it's just for renovations or a new lounge and not some random clothing shoppe or Shawarma place.

I believe you are right about Straight being "done" but it's still the same owner I saw entering the building a few days ago. She also owns Wish restaurant and 7 West on Charles St East and West respectively. Commercial Brown Kitchen is the new name of the restaurant according to the sign that was up for months. The day I saw her go in they were delivering some large pieces of decor, I'm guessing. They were very large discs made of old weather beaten wood. Perhaps being made into tables or mounted on walls. Also as recently as last week, while eating at the diner, we could hear power tools and hammering going on on the other side of the wall. So I think it's still happening though I grant you this is a rather slow reno. Voglie across the street became Sugo in less than 2 weeks.

I noticed today that the former Zelda's restaurant space appears to have been partitioned into two separate spaces (concrete block wall erected down the middle of the building). I guess the landlord feels he will have better luck trying to rent out two smaller spaces. Meanwhile just north of Wellesley I noticed just the opposite happening. The space occupied by the failed Greek restaurant " Yfesis" is being consolidated with the space next door that used to house the Crepe restaurant.

I noticed today that the former Zelda's restaurant space appears to have been partitioned into two separate spaces (concrete block wall erected down the middle of the building).
This sadly would make the chances less likely that a new showpiece restaurant/bar would come-in and take full advantage of the increidble patio. Dare I say... Wind Mobile and Village Shwarma coming soon! :eek:

This sadly would make the chances less likely that a new showpiece restaurant/bar would come-in and take full advantage of the increidble patio. Dare I say... Wind Mobile and Village Shwarma coming soon! :eek:

Exactly. What a waste of a patio if that is the case.

I noticed today that the former Zelda's restaurant space appears to have been partitioned into two separate spaces (concrete block wall erected down the middle of the building). I guess the landlord feels he will have better luck trying to rent out two smaller spaces. Meanwhile just north of Wellesley I noticed just the opposite happening. The space occupied by the failed Greek restaurant " Yfesis" is being consolidated with the space next door that used to house the Crepe restaurant.

The crepe place is gone?

Back