News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

In many ways I feel gay people may suffer because of the 'in your face' approach some homosexual-rights leaders and the media have chosen to adopt regarding their sexuality. Flying flags and dressing up in highly abnormal (see uncommon) ways. If heterosexual fetishists adopted a similar approach I think they'd have to deal with enormous amounts of bullying and discrimination. Idiots get a kick out of attacking harmless distinctive minorities with whom they can't relate.

I come from a country where you can get a beating for wearing the wrong football jersey in the wrong neighbourhood, so I can't help but wonder.

Maybe it has nothing to do with it at all. I don't have a clue what violent perpetrators of hate crimes would look or think like... I'm applying high-school type bullying logics here.

How normal is it to see straight couples hanging out at Church's cafes and such?

Last edited:
In many ways I feel gay people may suffer because of the 'in your face' approach some homosexual-rights leaders and the media have chosen to adopt regarding their sexuality. Flying flags and dressing up in highly abnormal (see uncommon) ways. If heterosexual fetishists adopted a similar approach I think they'd have to deal with enormous amounts of bullying and discrimination. Idiots get a kick out of attacking harmless distinctive minorities with whom they can't relate.

I come from a country where you can get a beating for wearing the wrong football jersey in the wrong neighbourhood, so I can't help but wonder.

Maybe it has nothing to do with it at all. I don't have a clue what violent perpetrators of hate crimes would look or think like... I'm applying high-school type bullying logics here.

How normal is it to see straight couples hanging out at Church's cafes and such?

Hmm what kind of reply today. Anger, mocking, sarcasm.... hmm sarcasm sounds good.

YEAH! And what's with all these blacks flaunting about being black. If they'd just wear normal clothes and learn how to speak white they probably wouldn't be getting discriminated against. Cops get a kick out of shooting distinctive minorities. It's their own fault.

Last edited:
Let's not turn this thread into a flame-war... get it? Hehe. Just ignore posts that offend you. It's online... people will say ANYTHING.

-----------------------------------

Anyways... is STRAIGHT closed? Their website shows an event a couple months ago called "Say Goodbye to STRAIGHT"... :(. I LOVED that place. It was a really cool crowd and it was posh. Sigh. Does anyone know for sure?

When it comes to *knowing* straight couples, probably more normal than a generation ago. (Sort of like how Moe turning his tavern into a gay bar didn't dissuade Homer + Marge.)

Hmm what kind of reply today. Anger, mocking, sarcasm.... hmm sarcasm sounds good.

YEAH! And what's with all these blacks flaunting about being black. If they'd just wear normal clothes and learn how to speak white they probably wouldn't be getting discriminated against. Cops get a kick out of shooting distinctive minorities. It's their own fault.

Homosexuals are not an ethnic group. Homosexual kids aren't raised by homosexual parents that instill homosexual culture and homosexual values into them. The phenomenon they display in terms of clothing preferences and such is a lot more similar to that displayed by punks, metalheads, etc.

Have fun in your world. Sorry if I offended you.

adma, I've been thinking of heading down with the gf for a while.

Sign says under renovation so maybe expanding?

I haven't seen any lights on or any activity when I walk by in the past couple of weeks. I have a feeling the "under renovation" sign was a middle of the night dash & run. The atmosphere isn't great, their food is pretty good but it was rarely overly busy in there. Too bad if I'm right, I hope I'm not.

Very common, you may be surprised. Come on down and check it out!

Let's not turn this thread into a flame-war... get it? Hehe. Just ignore posts that offend you. It's online... people will say ANYTHING.

Yes, you are correct, sorry.

Anyways... is STRAIGHT closed? Their website shows an event a couple months ago called "Say Goodbye to STRAIGHT"... :(. I LOVED that place. It was a really cool crowd and it was posh. Sigh. Does anyone know for sure?

I haven't seen it open yet this year.

I was in the Village the other day and noticed a few of the things that have been discussed here, including the partitioning of Zeldas, the (temporary?) closing of the Crepe place (which says it's under renos), the closing of Ysfesis, the non-opening of Straight, and those blasted sidewalk plaques the BIA installed.... You're right -- they're goddamn slippery as hell !!!

Homosexuals are not an ethnic group. Homosexual kids aren't raised by homosexual parents that instill homosexual culture and homosexual values into them. The phenomenon they display in terms of clothing preferences and such is a lot more similar to that displayed by punks, metalheads, etc.

Have fun in your world. Sorry if I offended you.

adma, I've been thinking of heading down with the gf for a while.

You're right, homosexuals aren't raised by homosexual parents. Homosexuals are raised by heterosexual parents who instill heterosexual culture and heterosexual values into them. As we get older, we soon realise that it doesn't all apply to us and nor do we want it to.

It's only uncommon or 'in your face' or a 'phenomenon' if you're not used to it. It's very common for me. It's relative. What's normal one place is not normal in another. In fact, some of the clothes of the 'radical heterosexuals' are offensive: loud Hawaiian shirts, white socks with sandals, Tommy Hilfiger pleated khakis. Are you saying that if a bunch of gays kicked the crap out of a straight guy wearing that he was asking for it?

You're right, homosexuals aren't raised by homosexual parents. Homosexuals are raised by heterosexual parents who instill heterosexual culture and heterosexual values into them. As we get older, we soon realise that it doesn't all apply to us and nor do we want it to.
Yes. Which couldn't be more different than the 'black' example given by the other forum member. Please don't be defensive, I don't intent to offend or attack anyone.

It's only uncommon or 'in your face' or a 'phenomenon' if you're not used to it. It's very common for me. It's relative. What's normal one place is not normal in another. In fact, some of the clothes of the 'radical heterosexuals' are offensive: loud Hawaiian shirts, white socks with sandals, Tommy Hilfiger pleated khakis. Are you saying that if a bunch of gays kicked the crap out of a straight guy wearing that he was asking for it?
Don't misquote me, I didn't say anyone was asking for it. Any assault of this nature (be it against a midget, homosexual, canadiens fan, indian, etc) is unacceptable and perpetrators should be in jail.

Anyway, I know plenty homosexuals guilty of such 'crimes' (hawaiian shirts and all). There's nothing heterosexual (or homosexual) about dressing with clothes designed for men (often by homosexual designers). If it wasn't 'uncommon' for a man to dress with girl's clothes those same clothes would be marketed as 'men' clothes by stores - as there'd be a market to be exploited. As of now, probably less than 5% of the population would show any interest at all iin such things. I'd call that fairly uncommon myself, but you can draw the line wherever you like.

Do you think that gay institutions should still be waving their flag and organising parades long after homophobia has been eradicated (not that it has, not even close, just hypothetically)? Why/why not?

Do you think that gay institutions should still be waving their flag and organising parades long after homophobia has been eradicated (not that it has, not even close, just hypothetically)? Why/why not?

Of course they should - a) there is no reason not to have any fun b) The eradication of homphobia doesn't equate to the end of LGBT status as a matter of identity - or the end of identity politics, for that matter.

AoD

Last edited:
There'd better not be any Habs bashing going on in this thread or I'm gonna get nasty!! :p

To be fair, the way that RC8 presents his ideas can, at first reading, be misconstrued as homophobic to a degree but if you read carefully I don't think he is at all. He might not have as much exposure to gay culture and as DTowner stated "It's only uncommon or 'in your face' or a 'phenomenon' if you're not used to it." and therefore the presentation might not be very clear. At the end of the day, I think he is just trying to ignite discussion without any homophobia to be read into it.

This is probably a general topic for a different type of forum as opposed to a Neighbourhood discussion thread, but I will say that it will be a beautiful thing if straight and gay people alike are celebrating pride together well into the future long after homophobia is a distant memory. Much like Caribana and other cultural celebrations should continue to take place to educate, celebrate, and bring people together. I hope for a day when there is no war and that a case for it becomes unthinkable, but we should always remember and look towards the future.

For a different spin on rearing kids, check out the wonderful, Academy Award nominated "The Kids Are All Right".

This is probably a general topic for a different type of forum as opposed to a Neighbourhood discussion thread, but I will say that it will be a beautiful thing if straight and gay people alike are celebrating pride together well into the future long after homophobia is a distant memory. Much like Caribana and other cultural celebrations should continue to take place to educate, celebrate, and bring people together. I hope for a day when there is no war and that a case for it becomes unthinkable, but we should always remember and look towards the future.

Care to drop a line to Stephen Harper on this? :)

Last edited:

It certainly helps when you're a tourist and you want to do some gay bar hopping. What is wrong with a few festive flags? A bit of colour never hurt anyone. I love seeing gay flags in a gay village. It just adds something to the atmosphere, especially at Pride.

Back