News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Not exactly the village but close by. This is the old Beaver Gas Station on Wellesley.

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Under Review

TORONTO ON

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 126835 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Feb 15, 2011

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Demolition

Description: permit to demolish existing gas station structure and canopys.

They want to build on an abandoned gas station? The costs involved in that are astronomical - you've got to dig down, what, 30 feet, and pull out all the soil before you can even begin to think about putting in piles and shoring. The first crews you send in to work have to be wearing HAZMAT suits to avoid getting cancer.

Check out the north-east corner of bayview and york mills where there's a fire station: there are a good 30 monitoring wells surrounding the gigantic tree on the corner strictly to monitor the groundwater because there was a gas station there eons ago.

I love that corner though (at wellesley and sherbourne), strictly because there's a retirement home next to a funeral home. Some serious mortality reminders for the old folks in Fudger house.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Permit Issued

TORONTO M4Y 1G7

Application#: 11 126904 BLD 00 BA Issued Date: Feb 17, 2011

Project: Restaurant 30 Seats or Less Interior Alterations

Description: CONVENIENCE ADDRESS IS 542 CHURCH ST. Interior alterations to convert existing vacant restaurant space to restaurant with 30 seats. ACME BURGER - Please see existing permit 10 295711 BLD to subdivide existing restaurant space.

Another burger Joint???? Just great...what a waste of a space...

Not exactly the village but close by. This is the old Beaver Gas Station on Wellesley.

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Under Review

TORONTO ON

When I walked by here the other day after taking pics of James Cooper Mansion I thought that this was one of many perfect lots in the area ripe for intensification, too bad that's not going to happen.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Permit Issued

TORONTO M4Y 1G7

Application#: 11 126904 BLD 00 BA Issued Date: Feb 17, 2011

Project: Restaurant 30 Seats or Less Interior Alterations

Description: CONVENIENCE ADDRESS IS 542 CHURCH ST. Interior alterations to convert existing vacant restaurant space to restaurant with 30 seats. ACME BURGER - Please see existing permit 10 295711 BLD to subdivide existing restaurant space.

Another burger Joint???? Just great...what a waste of a space...

Acme is a heck of a lot better than Hero burger. I've been to the Acme on Bloor at Bathurst and liked it.

So this in Zelda's old spot. Is this half of the space or all of the space? And why is there a 65 Wellesley East address in this, too? Does it have 2 addresses?

Acme is a heck of a lot better than Hero burger. I've been to the Acme on Bloor at Bathurst and liked it.

So this in Zelda's old spot. Is this half of the space or all of the space? And why is there a 65 Wellesley East address in this, too? Does it have 2 addresses?

WTF!? If an over-priced (and over-rated, imo) resto can't afford this place's rent, how is a no-name burger joint going to stay in business? Turnover in the Village is starting to get scary!

This is indeed the former Zelda's spot, partitioned presumably. This property is part of "The Village Centre" at 65 Wellesley St. E., the five-storey office building that houses Pharma Plus, TD Bank, Subway etc. so that's the municipal address. I suppose a convenience address is so that people can find the actual location with less confusion.

I don't get why another burger joint is going in. Hero burger isn't doing great business, although it was all the rage for about two weeks when it first opened. Perhaps it will get busier in the spring & summer when business picks up in the area.

Burgers are hot right now, and Acme offers a far superior product to Hero. I'm not sure if Acme will kill Hero (I think Hero's owners have deeper pockets and might be better able to withstand a burger war), but Acme will probably do well there. It is a little disappointing tho, I was hoping for either a Cobs Bakery type thing, or maybe a Menchies.

I go to Pride to see the big name acts (Kelly Roland, Cindy Lauper, Martha Wash) not for local no-names, so I guess this means my fun at Pride is over. I'll still go to the Parade but head home afterwards. Sorry but most of the unknown lacal acts just don't do much for me. Watch how few people turn out for those entertainment events now. They will slowly but surely kill off Pride. (a nice, slow death)
Thanks QuAIA!

I go to Pride to see the big name acts (Kelly Roland, Cindy Lauper, Martha Wash) not for local no-names, so I guess this means my fun at Pride is over. I'll still go to the Parade but head home afterwards. Sorry but most of the unknown lacal acts just don't do much for me. Watch how few people turn out for those entertainment events now. They will slowly but surely kill off Pride. (a nice, slow death)
Thanks QuAIA!

Due we know for sure this is what's happening that's just what they recommended to the panel ? Seems like a big mistake ... not that I'm really familiar with this but it is an international event so to speek. And what about that 'world pride' or whatever that wevent was.

I just have the feeling they are going to take what was probably the best and most successful Pride festival in North America and turn it into a dull country fair. As it is now, people have the option of seeing the big name acts or the smaller, local entertainers. It just takes away our options. I seriously will be pissed if they screw up this world class event. I say, go big or go home. This is Toronto, for god's sake!

Pride was so 1990's. It's now little more than an excuse to be seen, get laid, buy crap you don't need at the vendors then find the hottest overpriced all-night party and get stinking, rotten drunk. In other words, it's turned into just another commercial enterprise. Mostly.

Though as such, I've argued that it may be closer to the joie de vivre spirit of c20 mainstream commercial culture than anything out there--which may say something, retrospectively, about said mainstream commercial culture. (Perhaps the Tea Party set might claim it was all a NYLA queer conspiracy, anyway.)

You get laid at Pride? I guess that's your priority but I know a lot of people in Toronto who go to Pride every year and I can't remember a single one who got laid. It's not condusive to picking up guys for sex. Everyone is with friends and usually too drunk or tired to look for sex. It's more of a party and socializing with friends from all around the world. Pride has become a celebration, not so much a political protest anymore. It's basically a freedom festival where people feel free do do whatever the hell they want.

Having fun will never go out of fashin.

Pride is a money-maker. It's also a great advert for Toronto as a free-thinking, open-minded city that accepts and embraces diversity. (Which is why Ford hates it). How you choose to celebrate this is up to you, whether you are getting laid, on drugs, having a BBQ with friends, watching the parade, people watching, dancing... It's the best event in Toronto and draws the biggest crowds. Whether it is funded or not, it will still be a party as long as the homophobes keep to the outer regions of the city and Ford and his cronies go golfing for the week.

Torontovibe:

Pride has become a celebration, not so much a political protest anymore.

Perhaps we're celebrating too soon and forgot all about the political protest - need I remind you that for all the talk about the fight being over, the Trans-rights bill is still before the Senate? Are we so smug and self-satisifed with having gotten our rights that we feel compelled to believe that it is the end of history?

AoD

Last edited:

Back