News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Is it legal to have a women's-only/lesbian bar? By that I mean, are they allowed to turn away men? I've never heard of a gay bar that turned away women, although I could be wrong.

Is it legal to have a women's-only/lesbian bar? By that I mean, are they allowed to turn away men? I've never heard of a gay bar that turned away women, although I could be wrong.

It's legal. Just like women's only gyms.

Really? Weed bars? As in smoking weed in the a bar? Or do you just mean basic head shops?

I don't know bout the other ones mentioned, but yes, ontop of THC (Toronto Hemp Company), and ontop of the Village Vapour Lounge, you can indeed smoke weed indoors. Not tobacco/blunts, but weed is ok LOL

I presume that one needs a prescription or a letter from a Doctor to buy and smoke in these places? It's kind of ridiculous that in this day in age people are relegated to a few scattered places like this to smoke some weed.

Someone could correct me, if I'm wrong. But I don't think they turn away men. I'm a guy and walked in with another guy a few years ago. It just so happens to be all women.

What would be interesting to know is what happened from being mostly women, but very mixed when it was Slack Alice to becoming all women when it became Slack?

Someone could correct me, if I'm wrong. But I don't think they turn away men. I'm a guy and walked in with another guy a few years ago. It just so happens to be all women.

What would be interesting to know is what happened from being mostly women, but very mixed when it was Slack Alice to becoming all women when it became Slack?

Well as recently as this fall I was denied entry; told strictly I must be accompanied by a girl. Asked one smoking out front if I could be her 'friend', and went on in.. stayed 3 mins then left LOL

I presume that one needs a prescription or a letter from a Doctor to buy and smoke in these places? It's kind of ridiculous that in this day in age people are relegated to a few scattered places like this to smoke some weed.

Nope. They don't sell weed. You bring your own, pay a 'membership fee', rent a vapourizer, and enjoy whatever show they may have going (musical 'talent', comedians, etc). There are also board games, magazines and some snacks.

Well as recently as this fall I was denied entry; told strictly I must be accompanied by a girl. Asked one smoking out front if I could be her 'friend', and went on in.. stayed 3 mins then left LOL

I'm sure there are arguments for and against, but I think this is counterproductive. While one might see the benefits of a women-only (or men only) establishment, I believe it's the "code" of the establishment that should be honoured as opposed to implementing a policy of exclusion in order to artificially ensure that some ideal is in place. When people become acquainted with an establishment they learn, realize, or already have the decency to handle themselves accordingly. Should there be any bad apples, so long as the code of the establishment prevails then it's actually a good experience for all the patrons to see that bad apple kicked out as it's a testament as opposed to an exclusivity.

Not sure if I'm making sense and perhaps I'm just down that the old Slack Alice isn't around anymore. It was clearly a lesbian bar that organically became a mixed/positive place for people to co-mingle, the vibe was natural, fun, and easygoing, and friends and strangers connected. I don't mean to knock the reincarnation that is Slack's. Just saying that something wonderful was lost.

Does anyone know if the Black Eagle has a policy against letting-in females? I've never seen one there to be honest. Flash and Remmington's (except Sundays) don't let females in.

This issue was a big issue in Montreal a few years back. I think there was even a court challenge, although I can't remember the results.

Does anyone know if the Black Eagle has a policy against letting-in females? I've never seen one there to be honest. Flash and Remmington's (except Sundays) don't let females in.

This issue was a big issue in Montreal a few years back. I think there was even a court challenge, although I can't remember the results.

I think the Black Eagle has specific nights when they allow women in (accompanied by men, I imagine much as Remington's used to), or at least they did at one time. I believe, legally, you're allowed to deny entry to anyone when it's a privately owned business but I suppose also legally you can't make it a pattern of discrimination.

I'm sure women are allowed in if it means that much to them but otherwise strongly discouraged. Definitely no bachelorette parties.

Nope. They don't sell weed. You bring your own, pay a 'membership fee', rent a vapourizer, and enjoy whatever show they may have going (musical 'talent', comedians, etc). There are also board games, magazines and some snacks.

My roommate says that weed can be bought at some of these places, yet others are indeed a place to smoke, relax and socialize.

My roommate says that weed can be bought at some of these places, yet others are indeed a place to smoke, relax and socialize.

Pictures of the Village's Past

Does anybody have historical photos of the village from the 60's and 70's? It'd be interesting to see what the village was like in its early days.

Does anybody have historical photos of the village from the 60's and 70's? It'd be interesting to see what the village was like in its early days.

If you are in the area you should go the the Gay Archives at 34 Isabella St. Lots of "stuff" there.

Just got this in my inbox...

UPDATE
The developer at 580-596 Church and 67-71 Gloucester has asked the city for a 6month hold on the application.
Dated the end of February, 2011

They've indicated that in 6 months time they will likely come back to the city with one of the following options:

1) withdrawing the application
2) reducing the height on their revised option
3) pursuing a totally different design scheme for the property
4) hiring a new team for a different design

The City can only leave a file on hold for 6 months, so they will be notified at that time telling them to either re-submit or withdraw. If they do neither, the application will be closed.

If you have any questions concerning this application please contact,

Willie Macrae, M.E.S, MCIP, RPP
Planner, Community Planning
Downtown Section
Toronto & East York District
City Hall, 18th Floor, East Tower
100 Queen Street West
Toronto, ON M5H 2N2

p. 416-392-7572
f. 416-392-1330
www.toronto.ca/planning

Back