News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Haha. I suppose. I was pretty impressed. It's definitely completely different from any other clubs in the neighbourhood. I don't know about other days, but Friday night seemed to have a much lower percentage of the dubious club-goer types. There were three main rooms, each playing somewhat different kinds of club music and attracting a slightly different crowd. The ground floor seemed to be the more traditionally "clubber" area. The drinks were also cheap compared with some of the higher-end places in the area. It's a big pain in the ass sometimes to find a cheap place to get a drink in my neighbourhood! It is definitely a "club" though, with all that it entails.

Not gazillions. There were some, though, in two of the three rooms. The back room featuring more Top 40ish music didn't seem to have any. That room didn't fill up until later at night.

There were display windows with models in various costumes at the entrance.

So I finally made it to CiRCA this past Friday night.

A few things...

• The crowd on the main floor was particularly young, but the higher you went in the club, the more diverse the age range.
  • Very pedestrian sort of crowd. Not the amount of crazy costumes and such that I was expecting.
  • The music (on this particular night at least) was fairly derivative and mainstream (in almost all the rooms)
  • The place is fun in a fun house sort of way. It takes a while to take it all in. The art is great and, of course, the lighting and soundsystems are all top notch.
  • It's good to see a "mixed" club like this in the Entertainment District. The place was about 20% gay and not all relegated to the Mirror Ballroom either. Most of the straights seemed totally comfortable with that too and the place pulls a fairly progressive crowd on that front.
  • The place is way too clean and manicured. It feels like a film set of a real club. Or Las Vegas. Basically, despite all their efforts, there's a very corporate feeling to the place. I can't also help but think that it's likely about 50% too big.
  • Way too many VIP and bottle areas. I rarely knew where I was and wasn't allowed to go. So much for PLUR spirit.
  • It's not Toronto's "next Industry" and probably isn't even in the Top 100 as far as clubs of the world go. The music is mediocre, the various different rooms start closing at 02:05 and 90% of the club has gone home by 03:30. In fact, it closes at 04:00 which is just wrong if they are trying to create the type of space I thought they were.

A couple funny things my ears overheard...

"I'm studying interior design at Fanshaw, but my dad is likely giving me his company when he retires so I doubt I'll even use what I'm taught. You may have heard of my dad's company...Movenpick/Marche?"

"Don't go in there, that's the fag room!"

I went for the first time 2 weeks ago. I was very impressed by the sheer spectacle of this place! As everyone else has said, it's massive, and there is a dizzying number of rooms/sections, with wonderful, diverse interior design. I thought the music was very good (I had the urge to dance the whole time) though there are different DJ's every week, which is a good way to keep things fresh.

I was only disappointed by two things: 1) There weren't nearly as many flamboyantly dressed people as I was expecting (though I'm glad I made the effort!), so the crowd overall was boring looking, and 2) while it was initially busy, the club seemed to empty out surprisingly early. I think by 1:30 there were already noticeably fewer patrons, which certainly strained the party mood I was in, because a place that huge needs to be crowded into the wee hours to generate that all important "happenin'" vibe. Where did they go? I can't understand why someone would pay 15 bucks cover and then not even stick around until last call at the very least.

Anyways, I took tons of pictures, which I might post here at some point, and I'm looking forward to going back many times!

I was impressed with the efficiency of everything - from getting people inside to the coat check to the bar service. I never had to wait more than 30 seconds for anything, which was nice. Adding to what Darkstar416 said earlier, the club has a very corporate feel - too clean, too polished. The music was no different from any other mainstream club or bar in the city and the patrons weren't as daring or original as I had expected. The entire experience made me feel like I was back in Las Vegas. I was impressed with the lighting in the main area... the red and blue pulsating lights reminded me of Robocop or something.

I'm studying interior design at Fanshaw, but my dad is likely giving me his company when he retires so I doubt I'll even use what I'm taught. You may have heard of my dad's company...Movenpick/Marche?

Gross! Was it followed up by "yo, guy, I'm like totally going to nail that chick in the back of my dad's Cayenne tonight."

"I'm studying interior design at Fanshaw, but my dad is likely giving me his company when he retires so I doubt I'll even use what I'm taught. You may have heard of my dad's company...Movenpick/Marche?"

The kid was probably drunk and certainly delusional. Movenpick is a Swiss company, and if the person is referring to Richtree Market (bought the movenpick locations) then it's owned by an American investment fund. Daddy's been lying to you

Back