News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Isn't it a bit late for that now what with parking below?

The stage could be hydraulic, like the one at the Princess of Wales or North York Centre for the Performing Arts. It could be flush with the square when not in use, or raised during a performance

The stage is a pretty good place to have a seat when not in use.

The stage could be hydraulic, like the one at the Princess of Wales or North York Centre for the Performing Arts. It could be flush with the square when not in use, or raised during a performance

That's just the orchestra pits at both venues, only the apron rises and lowers the mainstage does not have hydraulics. Lord of the Rings was the last performance that had a seperate hydraulic for the mainstage. To place a whole stage like the one at Dundas Square on hydraulics would be very expensive.

I would presume that they are training - or rehearsing using real bodies in a new space so that the director of the show can determine the right spaces to be used on camera, where cameras will be positioned, that feeds are functioning properly, lighting is setup and corrected and on & on. I think it would be akin to making a film or live theatre, the talent doesn't just walk in front of a camera or onto a stage and wing it. There's plenty of preparation and rehearsal involved for what we see on screen and a mass amount of work & preparation that also goes on behind the scenes.

Right on. The problem with control rooms during conversions is that they dont't rehearse, sure the techs and talent get a tour but you need to get everyone together to do a run through. There was a certain sports arena in the city that did not do this, sure they were trained on the new HD equipment but no one rehearsed with one another needles to say the first game was a catastrophe. The CBC is the same way sure they have some new shiny new HD mobiles but there politics and cut backs have made productions of any type almost impossible.

As for the new City tv building they will outgrow it within a year from what I've seen and from what has been said from friends and piers. I like city tv, I wish them all the best with their new home.

Speaking of "Piers", they should set up some Pasolini-like spectacle within Dundas Square, someday

Speaking of "Piers", they should set up some Pasolini-like spectacle within Dundas Square, someday

For 120 days? :D

Yeah, you're handling that one well. Hey. I made a funny. "Piers". "Handling".

Your on topic too if CityTV does any coverage of free outdoor screenings at YD Square during TIFF.

Last update: First BT delayed to Aug 24

I'm @ YYZ waiting for a flight out of Toronto right now so I won't have any new updates for 2 weeks but I did chat with my neighbor this morning (who's been the reliable source on the logistics of moving in) and she said that the Aug 17 date for the first BT @ the new studio will likely be scrapped with a new date set for one week later: Monday, Aug 24.

The producer of the show wasn't satisfied with some elements of the studio components after several rehearsals so some minor changes will have to be made.

As I anticipated, the lose-lose situation with the view of the garage entrance vs the blank wall of the Torch's foot is a problem. One of the solutions proposed was to build a wall of video screens on that blank wall and have that be the partial backdrop to BT. My neighbor isn't privy to that decision, it's just one of the several proposals she's heard going around.

This seems to be the official date now so it will likely be announced on an upcoming BT very shortly.

One really cool piece of information is that the new BT will make heavy use of a boom camera. When transitioning from the hosts to say Frankie, there'll be a frame of the hosts, then a zoom out and panning up to the reporter on the atrium/studio's second floor balcony. I can imagine that looking amazing. They didn't have that kind of ceiling height at the old studio and they're making good use of it in the new one. :)

As for CityNews, they haven't finalized a date, other than that it will be between August 24 and September 7.

The whole move will be done by September 19th at the latest with only a skeleton staff remaining @ 299 Queen West to tie loose ends and move out non-essential equipment, files, etc. for another week.

All remnants of CityTV will be gone from the building come November. :(

I look forward to seeing the building near complete by the time I arrive back in Toronto Aug 14.

Last edited:
One really cool piece of information is that the new BT will make heavy use of a boom camera. When transitioning from the hosts to say Frankie, there'll be a frame of the hosts, then a zoom out and panning up to the reporter on the atrium/studio's second floor balcony. I can imagine that looking amazing. They didn't have that kind of ceiling height at the old studio and they're making good use of it in the new one. :)

Its usually called the jib amungst the film and video people, some still call it a boom and crane but mosty a jib. I almost bought one until I found out Whites bought 2. Hopefully the jib will come with a dutch which gives another axis capability. The ceiling height is good news for better lighting capabilities. I hope the engineers and techs get to put alot of their input into the configuration but alas it is rarely so.

I hope the engineers and techs get to put alot of their input into the configuration but alas it is rarely so

This is never the case. Architects and designers decide on control room layouts.
The architect 'designed' the CP24 control room at 299 didn't leave any access to the back of the equipment racks.

I was thinking, we know that the Fan590 is suppose to be moving in to the building with Citytv/OMNI. But why not CHFI? They don't need alot of room, and their morning show is the only one that really uses the radio studio at CHFI. The rest is pre-recorded or just one on-air personality most of the time. Doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Back