News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

^ Good point. My information is from somebody within the moving logistics team and they were expected to green light BT's move in time for a Monday, Aug 24 first broadcast -- which they did. Their work on BT's studio is now finished and it's up to Citytv as to when to begin using the new studio.
Perhaps Kevin Frankish's return will coincide with the first new show.

Following up on my info above, it looks like Rogers wants to do a grand opening of the building which will see the launch of BT and CityNews simulataneously in a big event to be held @ Y&D Square. So for that to happen, the exterior of the building must be complete.

In the meanwhile, CityNews just received a green light as well so they can move in now and are only limited by Citytv's marketing plans.

Given the appearance of the building from the outside, I'd say we'll be looking at a late September opening.

More info for who's following:

- All Citytv studio programs will switch to the new studio with the beginning of the new Fall TV season (even though the building is 90% ready for occupancy right now).

CodeMonkey: Rogers isn't worried about rushing the move: they're not paying rent and they have over one year left on their move deadline agreed upon with the purchase of Citytv. CTV isn't pressuring anyone either. If anything, they're happy Rogers is acting so quickly on moving out ahead of schedule.

- Big Yonge & Dundas Sq. unveiling party of the new building to kick off the new programs.

- Unveiling of CityNews channel at that party (not sure about the CRTC implications and permissions of Rogers starting up a 24 hour News channel on such short notice)

- According to an indirect source (not as reliable as my "moving logistics" source who I know personally), there is substantial work left to be done on the exterior, mainly on the torch itself.

Rogers should have been given CP24. CTV already has a 24 hour news station. But whatever.

Rogers should have been given CP24. CTV already has a 24 hour news station. But whatever.

The reason why the CRTC gave it to them is because, CTV News Channel is a 24-hour national news channel where CP24 is only Southern Ontario. Another thing is that CP24 is on the lower end of the dial and with access to promote your channel on CP24 Subway edition they wouldn't have given it up without a fight.

Also, the CRTC doesn't have the stringent ownership rules it has for cable channels as it does for terrestrial. Therefore, CTV got to keep all of CHUM's cable channels, whereas CTV lost the fight for the terrestrial CITY's (and only got to keep the 2nd market A-CHANNELS). It would have been odd (although, not without reason) for the CRTC to say to CTV that you can keep all of CHUM's cable channels, but must sell CP24 to someone else.

More info for who's following:

- According to an indirect source (not as reliable as my "moving logistics" source who I know personally), there is substantial work left to be done on the exterior, mainly on the torch itself.

Excellent, that's the most promising news of all

Set your PVR for BT at 6am, live from their new location at Yonge-Dundas Square!

I find it baffling they would have substantial work left on the exterior if they are planning a Dundas Square launch event soon. You would think they'd make the exterior re-modelling a priority for advertising and branding reasons, instead of leaving it for the last-minute.

Yeah nothing new, Lets wait for the announcement rather than count on rumours.:rolleyes:

Sorry, I hadn't followed this thread as closely as I should have. I had it marked in "Outlook" that this morning would be the first day BT would broadcast from Y+D Square, completing missing the updated posts above from the always reliable, MetroMan.

Thanks for the credit but I'm afraid I won't have much more info to offer now. My neighbor's work on the moving logistics team is virtually complete as they've green lit the two studios (BT and general purpose studio on the ground floor and the newsroom on the 3rd) and the ball is in the executive staff's court now. About two thirds of staff has moved into their news desks and offices although that number is really lower if you consider that a lot of staff is jumping between locations until the transition is complete.

The last she's heard is that the building will be unveiled for the Fall Tv season with all the new programs starting at or around the same time along with the 24 hour CityNews channel.

What I reported about the exterior was info she got from around the offices at Rogers so I wouldn't consider it solid info. My neighbor isn't involved in the exterior at all, just the moving of staff to their new location.
Looking at the building however, it does seem evident that a lot of work still needs to be done on the Torch itself. They still have the Olympic Spirit Centre logo on the bare concrete!
They're also replacing the never finished LED ticker around the torch with a different ticker that will cross the Victoria façade and then around the Torch.

Now that they're mostly done with the studios -- the priority in my opinion, not the exterior as Patriot suggested -- they'll have more resources to dedicate to finishing the Torch and detailing of the exterior.

Last edited:

Back