News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

To make a local reference, think of Sam The Record Man. When it was torn down, what did people fawn over? The signs.

Now look at that Omni logo. It's Dundas Square for f sakes. It should be a lit-up-twirling-garishly-neon flashing sign of colourful goodness.

EDIT: Okay, it doesn't have to be donut-shop style garish, but some Sam's style glam to it would be nice. There's a lot of possibilities beyond a solid backlit corporate logo. (EDIT2: Is it even backlit or illuminated at all?) Think tourist family coming to the square and seeing the giant flashing OMNI TV sign and little Jimmy saying "Wow there's OMNI TV!"

Last edited:
As popular as neon is with the public, I find it amazing that Dundas square has almost no neon. Metropolis should have been covered with colourful neon. If City TV was smart, they'd use some neon to spice up their bland signage. There was a reason so many people loved Sam's Sign. THE NEON!

If those Omni swirls of colour were neon and if the flashing light rotated in circles, it would be a much more dynamic experience.

Last edited:
As popular as neon is with the public, I find it amazing that Dundas square has almost no neon. Metropolis should have been covered with colourful neon. If City TV was smart, they'd use some neon to spice up their bland signage. There was a reason so many people loved Sam's Sign. THE NEON!

If those Omni swirls of colour were neon and if the flashing light rotated in circles, it would be a much more dynamic experience.

The thing is, using neon in such a way is rather antiquated and not very environmentally friendly, IIRC.

The tubes are relatively fragile, and therefore break often. Tubes seem to burn out unevenly too. The LG sign that used to be up the media tower was the last large neon implementation on the square, and it didn't work properly for its last couple of years. It's all terribly expensive to maintain.

Too bad! I love neon too!

The thing is, using neon in such a way is rather antiquated and not very environmentally friendly, IIRC.

So what? One sign isn't going to make a difference. We've taken this whole environmentally friendly thing way too far.

The garbage all over the city and in our ravines and parks along with our poor air quality is far worse for our environment than neon signs and incandescent light bulbs.

Last edited:

Or they could use LEDs like on the CN Tower for flashy/swirly effects.

So what? One sign isn't going to make a difference. We've taken this whole environmentally friendly thing way too far.

The garbage all over the city and in our ravines and parks along with our poor air quality is far worse for our environment than neon signs and incandescent light bulbs.

I don't think any environmentally-conscious company would put up a neon sign in this day and age. Despite our fond memories of neon from the past, today is the day of LED. Maybe OLED. I'm sure they could have spent more and made it better in some way, but it is what it is.

The signs are definitely internally lit channel letters. I do agree that being in such a location sort of requires a little bit of an extra flair sign wise, and that these are on the duller side. Even some simple chase or twinkle type of effects would be adequate - nothing on the scale of Sam's or LG (though it would have been more than suitable if they were).

That said, if they used LEDs inside the letters (very likely) it wouldn't be too difficult to animate the letters. I doubt they've done it, but could add on the control components without retrofitting any of the existing sign components.

As for neon - it is still a pretty good way to light certain projects. When made well it can last just as long (or longer) than LEDs, but it does use more power. Nowadays even the better made neon requires a fair bit of service and ages differently, depending on length of tubes, leads, etc... it's a fussy technology in some respects.

When the City approves Sign Permits these days they seem to add the phrase "require that energy efficient lights be used;" This could explain all the LEDs.

Latest word on the Torch lighting: it's still in the plans. Once the CityTV sign goes up and the electrical is wired up for that sign, they'll also install LEDs that will light the Torch in colours from within. Should add a bit more interest to the building.

We've had that discussion in this thread several times and without encouraging to rehash it, I think that Citytv would be foolish to move it from City Hall and Nathan Philips Square. It's the defacto "Toronto NYE Party" and has been for many years.

If anything, I'm sure they'll consider having Dundas Square as a satellite site for the event with performances and parties going on in both locations.

I can confirm NYE show is staying at Nathan Philips Square. No chance it would move as they are worried CTV would jump in.

Also management has informed staff that the City TV sign that is supposed to go on the torch? Will be installed in the spring which will be followed by the ticker shortly after.

Back