News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I came in here expecting that they were going to do some work to fix/finish up the CityTV building... oh well lol

As someone who works inside I can tell you that we've moved away from using the window as our backdrop. CityLine has been rebuilt to face the other way and BT uses the window maybe only 50% of the time.

The reasoning with the changes are #1 it's hideous out there with the garbage bins from YDS. Also the sidewalk look that was BT/CITYTV/MUCHMUSIC image back in the day really doesn't seem to matter anymore.

I always noticed the plastic film put in front of the windows to reduce sun/glare, it looked rather amateurish.

I always noticed the plastic film put in front of the windows to reduce sun/glare, it looked rather amateurish.

The film you speak of is standard color correction used in TV Studios. Studios use indoor lighting which is yellow/orange, but natural light is blue so we can't have 2 different light temperatures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

We use 3 different colors so they are on rollers.

The reasoning with the changes are #1 it's hideous out there with the garbage bins from YDS. Also the sidewalk look that was BT/CITYTV/MUCHMUSIC image back in the day really doesn't seem to matter anymore.

Those huge, ugly HVAC units on top of the City building are much uglier than the garbage bin area. They ruin every picture I take of the square. Rogers promised to cover them but I guess their promises are pretty worthless.

The film you speak of is standard color correction used in TV Studios. Studios use indoor lighting which is yellow/orange, but natural light is blue so we can't have 2 different light temperatures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

We use 3 different colors so they are on rollers.

I'm just saying it's noticeable, especially in HD. I can tell it's on rollers because it's not always "flat" plus small cracks can be occasionally seen along the windows edges, depending on the camera angle.
I'm not even going near that HVAC disgrace on the roof, I've gone on about that a few times already in the past. Rogers should be ashamed.

Feel free to cut, paste and send: Hey guys, that lump of poop in Dundas Square represents your company! Get it? The shoddy, half-assed quality here is a reflection on your company's values and likely its product and services! If you don't have any respect for the city at least have some for your brand.

E-mail the bosses....

Feel free to cut, paste and send: Hey guys, that lump of poop in Dundas Square represents your company! Get it? The shoddy, half-assed quality here is a reflection on your company's values and likely its product and services! If you don't have any respect for the city at least have some for your brand.

Anyone get any responses?

The design of the building matches the quality of City News. Why would they change a thing?

This is off topic, but do you or anyone else happen to know how to find out who the landlord is of any commercial/office building, in the city? I'm specifically looking to find out who the landlord is for 218 Yonge St (Coast Mountain Sports building). It's a long shot, but I want to ask them if they'd be interested in removing the horrible grey panels and revealing the rest of the original brick facade. This building meets the corner of the street similarly to the Dineen Building and would look so much nicer if it had a full restoration.

Last edited:
They have been doing something to the panels this week - taking some of them off, etc. I don't know why.

My understanding has always been that that building belongs to a university - McMaster, maybe? - and that the terms of them accepting it was that they not sell it, which is why it has never been incorporated into the Eaton Centre.

I'm not so sure Cadillac Fairview owns it. It isn't listed as one of their properties on their website.

Andrea, did you happen to see what the brick looks like from the area where the panels have been removed?

Back