News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There are plenty of cracks in the workers. Many are trying to get back to work. It's the union itself, who's execs are getting full pay who are sitting comfortably with nothing to lose.

This is one of Miller's most shining moments: keeping his cool, holding his ground and very effectively demonstrating that the city is not at fault and portraying the union as the bad guys.

Whoever runs against Miller next year won't have the "Miller is the union's bitch" card to play.

The unions aren't going to get arbitration, and hopefully that's starting to dawn on them. How long can the membership go making only $200 a week in strike pay? Surely there are union members who are missing rent or mortgage payments because of this.

i saw a news clip where a frustrated citizen, who was being heckled by striking city staff while dumping his garbage, retorted back saying he hopes they all lose their jobs and houses.

just found out tonight a couple of juicy rumors, the Real Madrid game at BMO might be cancelled because of the strike due to getting a permit to lay the new grass and the CNE would of shut down by the Unions if Garbage had been allowed to be place there.
MLSE is making too much money from that game to let it be canceled, so I'm betting they'll find a way to play the game as scheduled.

Last edited:

Been there...attempted to do that...failed miserably....

Though it is noteworthy that if the bridge was in service, it would have been conceivable to keep Centreville open during the strike.

as i understand, wasn't the bridge only to provide access to the airport?

the runway blocks access to everything else: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.as...dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

There's no reason that you could not get ramp qualified bus drivers to shuttle tourists through the airport and out onto the island for a situation like this. Moreover, in the longer term if a bridge is built, it would not be that much of a stretch to then build a tunnel under the airfield to allow access to the park.

There's no reason that you could not get ramp qualified bus drivers to shuttle tourists through the airport and out onto the island for a situation like this. Moreover, in the longer term if a bridge is built, it would not be that much of a stretch to then build a tunnel under the airfield to allow access to the park.

i thought there would be some sort of safety prohibition against going across the runway.

what's a ramp qualified bus driver?

i thought there would be some sort of safety prohibition against going across the runway.

what's a ramp qualified bus driver?

a driver who is qualified to operate on an airport tarmac around aircraft. All those guys you see driving buses, tractors, fuel trucks, etc. at airports are all ramp qualified.

a union classified job, no different than a regular bus driver, that pays 40% premium to the pvt sector.

Knowing this city, it would be classified as some sort of super-premium skill and they would make 25-30 bucks an hour doing it. When TTC drivers are making about the same as Air Canada regional jet co-pilots, then why not pay ramp qualified drivers who are actually near an aircraft even more than the pilots?

Surely it's a blessing that the Port is owned by the feds. I say that Centreville should seek federal assistance in getting a temporary ferry taxi service going. And if the union decides to picket federal property, then hopefully the feds will be a little tougher than Miller.

Whats there stopping a private ferry firm from operating from the former Toronto/Rochester fast-ferry terminal at the Cherry Street slip location to the islands.:confused:

Back