News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I hope this means that 79 and 416 will be independent from each other in the future.

I really don't see the reason why outside workers and inside workers should be striking together.

I really don't see the reason why outside workers and inside workers should be striking together.

It seems the idea is "everyone pile on with the garbage collectors". Now that the 79 has used the garbage as leverage to get a deal acceptable to them, they no longer need the 416 and are quick to abandon them so they can get a paycheque. Union brothers and sisters, indeed.

It says a lot that every garbage man and city social worker already knows the details of the deal but our elected representatives won't be briefed about it until Friday morning (just before they'll be expected to vote on it).

Well, well, well...

Banked sick days are alive and well...

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/673376

Banked sick days in city offer

JOHN SPEARS
CITY HALL BUREAU

Unionized city employees will continue to bank pay for unused sick days under a contract offer being voted on today.

However, a last-minute glitch in talks with one of the two striking CUPE locals means that only the inside workers began voting this morning on whether to ratify the deal.

CUPE Local 416, which represents outside workers including trash collectors, indefinitely postponed a vote set to begin at 7 a.m. today because negotiators hadn't signed a memorandum of agreement to end the strike, or negotiated a back-to-work protocol following the tentative agreement reached early Monday morning.

There is still no agreement on whether outside contractors should be allowed to help with the clean-up, or rules covering overtime.

Some councillors have said the strikers shouldn't get any overtime as a result of the strike, and it's unclear whether Mayor David Miller will be able to muster the support on council to approve the deal.

Two top city officials — deputy city manager Richard Butts and Geoff Rathbone, general manager of solid waste management services — arrived to join the negotiations at 10 a.m. to try to break the logjam.

Another outstanding issue is disciplinary action against individual strikers for incidents during the walkout, including a paramedic who was accused of illegally taking an ambulance.

One of the main issues of the strike was the city's insistence on ending employees' ability to bank unused sick time. However, the proposed agreement gives current employees the option of getting an immediate cash payout or continuing to accumulate pay for unused sick time.

New employees will not have the option of banking unused sick days. Current employees can cash out their banked days at a discount and move into a new short-term disability plan, or may have their sick bank frozen to draw on for days that may not be covered by the new plan.

Employees must decide by Nov. 18 what to do with their banked days.

The offer provides raises totalling six per cent over three years. It also allows employees to take Family Day off, and allows employees who are witnesses to or involved in a serious accidents at work to take the balance of the workday off with pay.

Outside workers arriving to vote on the deal at the Ontario Federation of Labour building in Don Mills this morning found the meeting room empty.

"I don't know what the hang-up is," said one man, who would only identify himself as an outdoor worker, as he arrived at around 9 a.m.

He said he'd been told Ferguson is back at the bargaining table with the city. "We'll support him," the worker said. "We've supported it this long."

Inside workers represented by CUPE Local 79 began to vote on the city's contract offer this morning. A city spokesperson downplayed the significance of Local 416's decision to postpone its vote.

"I don't think anybody needs to be alarmed," said Kevin Sack, the city's director of communications.

"I wouldn't classify [the ratification vote] as cancelled," he added. "I think we're just going to sit tight for now."

The city was expected to release a back-to-work plan today but it is not clear how quickly workers will return to work if and when the union locals and city council have approved the deal.

Yesterday, Miller issued a statement saying the city "will welcome all staff back as quickly and efficiently as possible as part of the orderly resumption of the city's services."

Earlier in the day, Miller had insisted he would not call a council meeting until after the CUPE members had voted in favour of their contracts. That means council would almost certainly not have met before Friday morning and, with Monday being a holiday, it was unlikely city workers would be back before Tuesday.

The resumption of regular services could be pushed back further into next week if the union ratification vote is delayed much longer.

With files from Jesse McLean, Precious Yutangco, Donovan Vincent and John Rieti

Last edited:
I really don't understand how a city like Windsor managed to get all (or most) of their demands but Toronto has seemed to cave (at least somewhat).

I agree that it would not be fair to eliminate all the banked sick days that staff has accumulated, so the only thing to do was to stop it starting today. That's what I'm reading happened and I hope that is the case.

But the 2% raises come on! As soon as workers went on strike the city should have dug in it's heels for at least a cost neutral deal or a reduction in salary costs at best. They should not have opened with that 0, 1, 1, 2 deal.

So basically this strike was for nothing. Exactly what we were afraid of: After 5 weeks, the city rolled over and played dead, and the union got its demands.

Except Local 416 says there is still not yet a deal. I say lock them out and put everything back on the table.

PUBLICATION: GLOBE AND MAIL
DATE: 2009.07.29
PAGE: A10
BYLINE: MARCUS GEE
SECTION: Column
EDITION: Metro
WORDS: 761
WORD COUNT: 776

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CITY HALL The strike's over. The real trouble is just beginning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARCUS GEE mgee@globeandmail.com A day after a tentative deal to end the five-week city strike, it's time to look at the big picture. What was gained in the longest strike on record by city workers? Where exactly does this leave us as a city? The unfortunate answer: not much better off than we were when it all started. Even with the long-term savings the city hopes to achieve by phasing out the archaic system of bankable sick days for its workers, Toronto is heading toward a cliff.

The city has an annual budget shortfall of up to $500-million.

Its costs are soaring as welfare payments increase in hard times.

Its ability to raise taxes is limited after two unpopular tax hikes - on land transfers and vehicle registration - imposed under Mayor David Miller. The provincial government, Toronto's fiscal saviour in the past, faces a huge deficit of its own.

"This city is running on empty," said Councillor John Parker, who represents Don Valley West. What is worse, he said, it has been doing so for years. Long before Mr. Miller started complaining about the city's financial troubles to explain his stand in the strike, experts, committees and reports were raising the alarm. Unless it got its house in order, the Mayor's Fiscal Review Panel warned last year, "the city risks a chronic state of dependence on upper levels of government and a perpetual state of not being in charge of its own destiny." To his credit, Mr. Miller listened to the fiscal panel and created two new agencies, Invest Toronto and Build Toronto. But Mr. Parker says that the message that the city was in financial trouble "should have been resounding from the walls of this place" - City Hall.

Instead, it got lost in the noise as Mr. Miller worked on grand plans for rapid transit and other projects. So when the city took a firm line with the unions as talks got under way this year - after generous settlements for other city workers that the mayor did not seem to mind so much - union leaders appeared genuinely taken aback.

The result was a strike that after all the beans are counted will mean only modest savings for the city. The raises of roughly 2 per cent a year that the 30,000 unionized workers will get in the wage settlement negotiated over the weekend are a notch down from the 3 per cent that police and transit workers got, but quite a bit more than the two-year raise of 0 per cent and 1 per cent that non-unionized city workers were stuck with. The phasing out of bankable sick days should trim the city's liability over time, but may cost it quite a bit up front as workers exercise an option to cash in their banked days immediately. Although the city will trumpet the progress it made on the sick-day issue, municipal workers will keep a host of other benefits, from an indexed pension to generous health and dental plans.

The Fiscal Review Panel warned that the city faces $2.6-billion in cumulative debt, $2-billion of unfunded liabilities and another $2.5-billion in debts for its various agencies, commissions and so on. Instead of making progress on shedding those millstones, the city is going the other way. Its latest budget grew by more than $500-million, reaching $8.7-billion. Far from laying off workers, as many strapped U.S. cities have, Toronto is hiring more than 1,000 for transit and other services.

Getting Toronto's red-stained books back in shape will take much more than a single semi-tough showdown with the unions. It will require a big rethink of how the city does business. Should just about all public services be delivered by public servants, as Mr.

Miller prefers, or would contracting out some of them save money? Could Toronto reduce its debts by selling assets like Enwave, the lakewater air-conditioning agency, or real estate owned by the Toronto Parking Authority? The good news is that the combination of recession and strike has alerted a slumbering public to the city's fiscal fix. Now that the strike is all but over and the piles of garbage are about to be cleared away, residents could easily fool themselves that everything is okay. Far from it. The strike should sound an alarm. Toronto is stumbling toward at precipice.

And it's not the fall that hurts; it's that sudden stop at the end.

Unfortunately, the 2% pay hike was below a precedent set by the other municipal workers' unions (i.e.Police, TTC) so to be fair, while the city made the case that inflation is nil and the city can no longer afford it, this strike would never be over without an equal or similar pay hike equal to what other city workers received.

As for the sick bank, there had to be a compromise and I think this was a good one.

Workers were off the job for 5 weeks, no doubt many of them got in financial straights because of it. I imagine many of them are going to cash out on their existing sick bank to get back on their feet.

While the city didn't get an immediate end to sick bank, they got a phasing out of the program since no new employee will be eligible. The city managed to contain the problem and will likely soon be dealing with a much smaller sick bank program until it is eventually phased out completely. That's a win for the city I think and the union gets to back to its existing members and say they can keep their sick bank. Both sides "win".

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the 2% pay hike was below a precedent set by the other municipal workers' unions (i.e.Police, TTC) so to be fair, while the city made the case that inflation is nil and the city can no longer afford it, this strike would never be over without an equal or similar pay hike equal to what other city workers received.

That's only fair if you subscribe to the belief that someone should be paid not what they're worth, but what someone else in a completely unrelated (though unionized) job has received.

I personally think that a 'fair' analysis would examine what these jobs are actually worth. For some reason I don't think that we'd be talking about wage increases under such an analysis, but how large the wage decreases should be.

I'm generally fine with the sick bank compromise, although from reading the various articles posted above I'm not sure if current employees will have the option of accumulating more sick days going forwards or if they'll just be able to keep the ones they've already accumulated. If they have the option of accumulating more sick days then I am much less fine with this compromise.

I'm generally fine with the sick bank compromise, although from reading the various articles posted above I'm not sure if current employees will have the option of accumulating more sick days going forwards or if they'll just be able to keep the ones they've already accumulated. If they have the option of accumulating more sick days then I am much less fine with this compromise.

From The Globe

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...r-faces-heat-for-backing-down/article1234403/

THE DEAL

Wage increases

2009: 1.75 per cent
2010: 2 per cent
2011: 2.25 per cent

Sick bank

Current employees: Can either (a) cash out now and switch to a short-term disability plan or (b) keep the existing plan and continue to accumulate sick days at the rate of 18 per year, cashing out a maximum of six-months worth at retirement.
New hires: Can't bank sick days.

Miller is pissing on us and telling us it's raining. And after getting all of this, the Local 416 isn't even satisfied enough to go to vote! Considering the city's financial situation, this is just crazy.

Last edited:
If that actually is the deal, then that's terrible. I agree that many union members will probably take the immediate payout to make up for money they lost during the strike, but we shouldn't be relying on that. And wasn't the previous deal that they could cash out half of the banked sick days? Now it's the whole thing, or they can choose to just keep this ridiculous perk? What kind of a compromise is that? Terrible.

From The Globe

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...r-faces-heat-for-backing-down/article1234403/

Miller is pissing on us and telling us it's raining. And after getting all of this, the Local 416 isn't even satisfied enough to go to vote! Considering the city's financial situation, this is just crazy.

That's nuts!!!! Accumulation of banked sick days should end now, period! That should have been the one hard chip on the bargining table. If that isn't in the deal than there should be no deal!

Back