News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Don't forget that Miller wasn't given a mandate for a deal anything like this from what the Labour Negotiations Board is telling us. He essentially went rouge and made his own deal. There are going to be fireworks when (if) city council meets Friday. If the Globe report is accurate, I think council may actually vote this down. If that happens, and the unions vote 'yes' to the deal before council votes 'no', the animosity between the city and the union will be so high, I don't know how this will ever get resolved. This could be a complete and utter disaster; More so.

City Councillors Respond

It says a lot that every garbage man and city social worker already knows the details of the deal but our elected representatives won't be briefed about it until Friday morning (just before they'll be expected to vote on it).

I wrote an email and sent it individually to all 44 City City Councillors last night. In my email I urged each City Councillor to vote against the deal due to (in part) lack of transparency to Toronto Councillors and taxpayers after the deal is released to the Membership, if reports that I had read in the Globe & Mail are correct about bankable sick days not being removed and that Toronto cannot afford hundreds of millions of dollars in additional wages over the next four years.
Within hours I received four "bot" responses that read, in part "During the labour disruption, non-union and management City staff have been redeployed to different sections and work assignments, and our office’s capacity to respond to constituent concerns is limited. E-mails will be retrieved periodically and urgent queries responded to as soon as possible." Since then I've received 21 responses. One Councillor has to abstain from the vote because his daughter is a member of CUPE 79, four were replies from Councillor's Assistants who said they'd pass on my comments, 13 agreed with my stand, three basically thanked me for my time to write and one said she would consider my comments after she reads the deal. I'm hoping to hear back from some of the remaining 23 Councillors who haven't responded yet.

Change can be affected. Write or call your City Councillor, they're listening.

Contact information here

New Details

From http://www.insidetoronto.com/article/73343

City workers will still be able to bank their sick days for payout at retirement in a three-year deal up for ratification by members of Toronto's inside workers' union today.
The details of the deal were released to members of CUPE Local 79 this morning, as they queued up to vote in a downtown hotel, potentially ending a five week municipal workers' strike that has paralyzed the city.

A key issue in that strike was an attempt by the city to change the way that workers accrue sick days. The current plan sees workers accumulate 18 sick days a year. Unused days are paid out at retirement to a maximum of six months salary.

The city was anxious to move the 30,000 unionized employees to a short term disability, to slay a potential $250 million liability that the plan was creating.

However, the final deal lets employees who have more than 10 years of service and wish to do so, remain in the banked plan, and continue to accumulate days to retirement, at which point they'll be paid out.

Those who wish to, can have their sick bank bought out at a discount, and move to the new Illness and Injury Plan. They can also have their sick bank frozen to draw on for days that might not be covered in the new plan.

And that plan, according to a Local 79 document handed out to members, is a significant improvement to the plan that was first offered by the city.

There will be no monetary penalties for multiple sick days used in a year, and members will have up to 130 days of absence per year, paid in full or in part.

And after 10 years, all sick days are paid in full to workers.

The pay increases in the three years are also an improvement to the four-year deal made public by Mayor David Miller two weeks ago.

That would see wages increase by 1.75 per cent from Jan. 1, 2009, two per cent effective Jan. 1, 2010, and 2.25 per cent effective Jan. 1, 2011.

Shift bonuses will also increase. Family Day is a new designated holiday, while Remembrance Day remains a holiday (the city had proposed swapping holidays).

And an employee wage protection program which protects wages for 35 months at the higher rate when a worker is redeployed to a lower position, whether by simple redeployment or layoff and recall.

Emphasis mine.

So, A new paid holiday, increased wages and bonuses, and if you get bumped down to a lesser job for being incompetent (since it's devilishly difficult to be fired), there's no real penalty for 3 years. Accountability at its finest.

That being said, keeping the banked sick days is available only to those with 10 years service or more. Still, not great.

I wrote an email and sent it individually to all 44 City City Councillors last night.

What did Adam Vaughan say? I wrote to him (he's my councillor) and got a "thanks for your comments" email. I'm wondering if you got something more personalized.

This is a complete mess.

No kidding:eek::mad:........And what the hell is grandparenting?

T.O. startup plans on hold as ratification stalled

Toronto's Mayor David Miller says an announcement of plans to get the city back to work is on hold, as neither city union has agreed yet to a back-to-work protocol.

"We have been working on that with Local 79 and Local 416, but neither has signed at the moment," he said at a Wednesday news conference. "I regret that, but that's not entirely within our control."

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...to_strike_090729/20090729/?hub=TorontoNewHome

One Councillor has to abstain from the vote because his daughter is a member of CUPE 79

Who gave you that reply? What a lame excuse. If he is so fussy about conflict of interest, then he shouldn't have run in the last election. I wonder if he also abstains from the many other council votes that directly or indirectly affect this daughter.

I'm still getting conflicting reports regarding the sick days. Despite what has been posted here and the Globe's claim that bankable sick day accrual still is available to senior union employees, many in the media are still reporting that no new bankable sick days will be available to anyone.

It sounds like they're all mistaken, but judging by the Miller sound bites, it's probably because they're being mislead by Miller.

Last edited:
Dilla said:
From The Globe

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1234403/

THE DEAL

Wage increases

2009: 1.75 per cent
2010: 2 per cent
2011: 2.25 per cent

Sick bank

Current employees: Can either (a) cash out now and switch to a short-term disability plan or (b) keep the existing plan and continue to accumulate sick days at the rate of 18 per year, cashing out a maximum of six-months worth at retirement.New hires: Can't bank sick days.

if the above is accurate, then I vote NO !

unfortunately civil service productivity is not publicly reported;
however, if the unionized garbage collectors vs. contracted collectors in Etobicoke is an indication of efficiency (it only takes half as many contract workers vs. former City collectors to do the same job for even less wages) then they are already paid 100% premium.

furthermore, no one should be allowed to continue with the plan ... they shouldn't loss any banked sick days but it ends now ... everyone switched to STD plan.

"unfortunately civil service productivity is not publicly reported"

This is a point I have tried to emphasize in the past. A report is often cited on this issue that upon closer inspection tells us nothing concrete on productivity. The point should be that productivity should drive labour rates. People get too caught up in specifics about benefits and absolute wage levels. These are the realms of jealousy and insecurity. If one guy could clean up half the city he should be paid millions of dollars a year. He should be one of the highest paid people anywhere in the city. However a union worker that does 60% of the work of a private contractor but gets paid double is an abomination.

What did Adam Vaughan say? I wrote to him (he's my councillor) and got a "thanks for your comments" email. I'm wondering if you got something more personalized.

Adam Vaughan only bothers talking if it's going to get him a quote in the newspaper (seriously...check it out. He elbows his way into virtually every article about City Hall). He's my councillor and I've written at least six letters to him asking simple questions about his ward (i.e. wondering whether a no left turn was going to be implemented) but haven't received a single reply. Not even a form letter. If his office budget is high, he sure isn't using it for real constituency work.

"Thank you for taking the time to write. I appreciate your comments."

Who gave you that reply? What a lame excuse. If he is so fussy about conflict of interest, then he shouldn't have run in the last election. I wonder if he also abstains from the many other council votes that directly or indirectly affect this daughter.

It was Howard Moscoe.

Back