News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

What should be done with Commonwealth Stadium?

• a) It should undergo a major refresh

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • b) A new stadium should be built

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • c) Upkeep and minor improvements are all that is needed

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
I think anyone who thinks a new stadium like that is going to suddenly appear has been doing something else with their nose..

1000004686.jpg

On a more serious note, reading about the new Calgary arena got me thinking about the issue at Commonwealth of the seats being too far from the field.

Would it he possible to do an equivalent of the sunken bowl idea, and dig down for a new field, and add in a new section of seating from grade down?

The bonus to this and the comparison to the Calgary arena would be being able to open up the at grade outdoor level as a new walk through concourse level to the stadium.

Why mend when you can spend eh? Pretty sure the governments and the billionaires have better uses for a quarter bill+

I think the reason people are suddenly so against Commonwealth is that it represents a time when the city was actually capable of delivering a project on time and on budget.

Bad reference point to have hanging around these days...

Nope, but it's not like you can just redesign a stadium like that.

Personally, I love Commonwealth and wish that we could fill it more often with 40-50k, but that ain't happening and I am not sure it is a great investment in the long-term.

That said, upgrading it to a point could still make sense, but we will still have a lot of foundational issues that don't really make sense to address in my humble opinion.

One reason why the massive shows come to Commonwealth is because they can do one show and sell 50 000 to 66 000. We get rid of Commonwealth we say goodbye to the massive shows. The 25 000 to 30 000 seat stadiums aren't big enough for stadium tours. One of the Pink roadies commented to me during set up of actually how small Commonwealth seemed to be compared to what he's used to.

If Edmonton had natural turf like we used to have here, I think we'd be preparing for World Cup games.

One reason why the massive shows come to Commonwealth is because they can do one show and sell 50 000 to 66 000. We get rid of Commonwealth we say goodbye to the massive shows. The 25 000 to 30 000 seat stadiums aren't big enough for stadium tours. One of the Pink roadies commented to me during set up of actually how small Commonwealth seemed to be compared to what he's used to.

If Edmonton had natural turf like we used to have here, I think we'd be preparing for World Cup games.
Well there ya go, sounds like a good reason to keep it more or less as is then, although the proposed concourse reno's do look good...

Maybe those who are complaining about the distant play field can invest in a pair of these instead of begging uncle gov and his billionaire pals for a new facility?

1000004690.jpg

Might help class up the joint too!

Sink the bowl in the existing stadium, clip off the end row of seats and add a large video screen, problem solved.

Easy peasy hey. Changing elevations/grades/access/utilities are never as easy it you think.
---

Here is a rendering of the new multi-plex behind Rogers.
images%252Fslides%252F05_Omniplex.jpg

Easy peasy hey. Changing elevations/grades/access/utilities are never as easy it you think.
---

Here is a rendering of the new multi-plex behind Rogers.
images%252Fslides%252F05_Omniplex.jpg

Very modern - ties in with new LRT bridge. I like what I see other than the 6 lane roadway.

Last edited:
Could you imagine what a costly boondoggle that design would have been? That roof would have had to been replaced 2x by now at a massive cost. Makes me appreciate the current Commonwealth's longevity much more.

Back