News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

What should be done with Commonwealth Stadium?

• a) It should undergo a major refresh

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • b) A new stadium should be built

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • c) Upkeep and minor improvements are all that is needed

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
I am no fan of the UCP but am even less a fan of self defeating negativism. When funding the Calgary arena, the UCP actually indicated a willingness to fund some similar things in Edmonton.

This wasn't very specific or decided and still isn't, but it seems improvements to Commonwealth could fit the parameters. So we have an opportunity to host the Grey Cup upcoming and improve the facility.

So it seems like a good proposal to put forward. Lets not be our own worst enemies. We should not assume it will not be accepted or take an initial non committal response as a firm no.

I am no fan of the UCP but am even less a fan of self defeating negativism. When funding the Calgary arena, the UCP actually indicated a willingness to fund some similar things in Edmonton.

This wasn't very specific or decided and still isn't, but it seems improvements to Commonwealth could fit the parameters. So we have an opportunity to host the Grey Cup upcoming and improve the facility.

So it seems like a good proposal to put forward. Lets not be our own worst enemies. We should not assume it will not be accepted or take an initial non committal response as a firm no.

It seems like a good proposal to put forward?

The city has already been requesting provincial money to upgrade Commonwealth Stadium - even after FIFA. It was in Sohi's letter to the province again prior to the last budget - a request for $185 million. Crickets!

And they will continue to do so again. I don't think that request of the city is in doubt.

But seriously, what else can Sohi do? He has requested money for various initiatives, including things that Calgary receives funding for, and he hears nothing. The city has heard nothing on its requests.

Maybe some public pressure? I don't know. But this notion that the city just needs to ask and we shouldn't be our own worst enemies is an interesting interpretation of what's happening here.

It seems like a good proposal to put forward?

The city has already been requesting provincial money to upgrade Commonwealth Stadium - even after FIFA. It was in Sohi's letter to the province again prior to the last budget - a request for $185 million. Crickets!

And they will continue to do so again. I don't think that request of the city is in doubt.

But seriously, what else can Sohi do? He has requested money for various initiatives, including things that Calgary receives funding for, and he hears nothing. The city has heard nothing on its requests.

Maybe some public pressure? I don't know. But this notion that the city just needs to ask and we shouldn't be our own worst enemies is an interesting interpretation of what's happening here.
You put it as a question, so I am wondering do you not think it is a good proposal to put forward?

What else can Sohi do - ASK AGAIN!!! I am not blaming him here, but sometimes you need to be persistent and forceful. Perhaps, public pressure might help too.

Again, crickets is not NO. It could keep trying rather than giving up. No one said getting things is always easy.

You put it as a question, so I am wondering do you not think it is a good proposal to put forward?

What else can Sohi do - ASK AGAIN!!! I am not blaming him here, but sometimes you need to be persistent and forceful. Perhaps, public pressure might help too.

Again, crickets is not NO. It could keep trying rather than giving up. No one said getting things is always easy.

Yes. I think we should request this funding of the province - as the city has done multiple times and will do so again. No one has said anything about giving up, certainly not Sohi or the city.

Not sure what you mean by being more persistent and forceful.

YEG's share will come in due to time....Cartmell even said so a few months ago...."a proposal is in the works etc...."

You seem to be somehow taking this as an attack on the Mayor which is really not my intention here.

YEG's share will come in due to time....Cartmell even said so a few months ago...."a proposal is in the works etc...."
Could you please explain more on the context of what Cartmell said. For example, was it in relation to matching the Calgary arena money or any details on the proposal itself?

Mayor Amarjeet Sohi doesn’t think the $250-million renovation project is in the cards right now — unless the Alberta government and the Elks can pitch in. Neither have made public commitments to cover costs.

The $330 million for Calgary arena was noted.

“We know that it is a priority for the city to look at rehabilitation of the Commonwealth Stadium, but we would not be able to do this on our own. We need partnerships with the team as well as well as with the provincial government,” he told Postmedia Thursday.

Coun. Ashley Salvador agrees. The stadium, just outside her area of Ward Métis, is a huge driver of economic activity for the city and Western Canada, she said. Large crowds descended on the city for summer concerts, including Pink and Metallica.

“Edmonton needs a fair deal, right? Like that’s really what it comes down to.”

Last edited:
I still have this feeling that you will see a mixed-use outdoor 'stadium'/amphitheatre north of Rogers Place that will have a capacity of 25k, expandable to 35-40k for larger concerts or say a Grey Cup that will have a variety of partners involved.

*pure speculation

Last edited:
A smaller amphitheater would be nice, but I don't think any sort of decent new stadium could be built for $250 million. Maybe the owner of the Elks will chip in bit, but we are not talking an NHL hockey team with a billionaire owner here. So that means even after any provincial money Edmonton taxpayers will probably be on the hook for another $250 million to $500 million.

A smaller amphitheater would be nice, but I don't think any sort of decent new stadium could be built for $250 million. Maybe the owner of the Elks will chip in bit, but we are not talking an NHL hockey team with a billionaire owner here. So that means even after any provincial money Edmonton taxpayers will probably be on the hook for another $250 million to $500 million.

Perhaps Katz would be chipping in as well given the noted location.

Because he is the go to person to always ask for money? The NHL arena makes sense, but I don't think he gains much if anything by a CFL stadium. And if probably reduces the land he can develop here in the future.

Surely a CRL can suffice instead of municipal taxes? The current downtown CRL has worked quite well for the Ice District and is giving us the Warehouse Park.

Back