News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

What should be done with Commonwealth Stadium?

• a) It should undergo a major refresh

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • b) A new stadium should be built

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • c) Upkeep and minor improvements are all that is needed

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
I imagine they'd love to do that, but it all depends on the funding made available.

If it's $$ then we get a smaller renovation, hopefully focusing mostly on the concourse.

If it's $$$$$ then maybe we'd see field renovations (which would include having to dig down further and extending the lower bowl to the new field level, I'd imagine)

I have been in the camp of digging down but I also wonder if there is a way to take out some seats at the top of the lower bowl and expand out the concourse (expanding the concourse in the process) In that case you would likely have to bring forward some or all of the luxury suites which could get costly. You would then have to recontour the slope of the bowl. This could be done one side at a time which could limit disruption.

1725552420387.png

They fully intend to have the green line proceed - just not underground. And this is also an opportunity to trash Nenshi.

If anything, more money is heading Calgary's way as the UCP has its master rail plan that includes a Grand Central Station next to the event centre they helped fund which will be a site for intercity and regional rail as well as their lrt.
Unfortunately that is exactly what is going to happen if the UCP's stay in power, but they won't. Should be a moot point as Nenshi will take over and squash this UCP -pie-in-the-sky rail crap and build a new hospital or 2 in YEG.

There is limited money available for these renovations, hence the modest (but nice) project. Fun fact, there was a proposed budget of $180M when larger reno's where being considered for the FIFA2026 bid, but when Edmonton was not selected as a host city, that funding commitment disappeared - at least in the original nine-figure amount; and then, so did the scope of the current work.

There is limited money available for these renovations, hence the modest (but nice) project. Fun fact, there was a proposed budget of $180M when larger reno's where being considered for the FIFA2026 bid, but when Edmonton was not selected as a host city, that funding commitment disappeared - at least in the original nine-figure amount; and then, so did the scope of the current work.
Interesting about the $180M. I suppose those involved with funding could be reminded of that commitment. Maybe the Grey Cup is not quite FIFA, but it is a fairly high profile event in Canada so worth some effort.

$180M is nothing these days for stadium renovations either. Realistically, Commonwealth needs about $350-500 million of renovations to bring it up to the same quality standards as American or European facilities. Canada just doesn't really have the same interest, focus or priority on stadia as other places around the world do.

$180M is nothing these days for stadium renovations either. Realistically, Commonwealth needs about $350-500 million of renovations to bring it up to the same quality standards as American or European facilities. Canada just doesn't really have the same interest, focus or priority on stadia as other places around the world do.

If I heard correctly, Global News at 5pm reported the proposed renovation is $250 million.

I might have to watch again at 6pm to ensure I heard that right, haha

It's also a 50 year old facility that realistically needs a good injection of cash to set it up for it's next 50 years. The timing couldn't be better with the hints of the province possibly throwing some money our way to match what was done in Calgary, a new owner for the main facility tenant now in place, and a potential Grey Cup in just over two years. $400 million reno with $200 million from the province and $100 million each from the city & the team. That should get a pretty solid reno.

If I heard correctly, Global News at 5pm reported the proposed renovation is $250 million.

Yup, $250 million.

Even Janz is advocating for provincial money for this project.

I'd like to to hear where Global got that estimate. If it's directly from the City, that sounds more like the idealistic amount needed for a perfect renovation to be completed (such as what was proposed during the FIFA bid), not necessarily where the current (and realistic/more modest) rehabilitation scope is.

That is inaccurate. FIFA did not pull out due to the stadium but due to Kenney trying to place demands on FIFA. Imo, one of the few things Kenney did right, FIFA is one of the few organizations more corrupt and immoral than the UCP. As much as it would have been nice for tourism, I would have raised a stink at our taxpayer dollars supporting FIFA.
It's also a 50 year old facility that realistically needs a good injection of cash to set it up for it's next 50 years. The timing couldn't be better with the hints of the province possibly throwing some money our way to match what was done in Calgary, a new owner for the main facility tenant now in place, and a potential Grey Cup in just over two years. $400 million reno with $200 million from the province and $100 million each from the city & the team. That should get a pretty solid reno.
I know people in Edmonton keep talking about hints of money coming to Edmonton. But I don't see any evidence of it, the UCP have made it very clear they loathe Edmonton and I've seen nothing coming from that camp about money for Edmonton. I'm afraid it's just wishful thinking based on how things used to work (informal symmetry between cities) and our own sense of fairness.

Back