News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Speaking of ventilation, can the washroom ventilation fan completely shut off in condos? My friend's washroom fan at minto midtown is always spinning, the switch only makes it spins faster or slower, but never completely off.

I think in Minto Midtown those fans can not be completely turned off becuase of the 'Energy Recovery Ventilators - ERV' feature in the building .... one of those LEEDS things ... I think the same thing is happening at Tridel's Accolade project, its suppose to recycle hot/cool air that is vented out from each condo unit to reduce your energy bill

My washroom fan is always off. Unless I turn it on.

AKS do you live in Minto Midtown? My friend living in that building has reported of the similar problem in their unit as raised by probey ~

AKS do you live in Minto Midtown? My friend living in that building has reported of the similar problem in their unit as raised by probey ~

I'm at westone. I don't think it's common to have the fan running constantly. Maybe minto's washroom fans need checking? I think if it ran constantly, it would drive people nuts. I think maybe some of the units in westone might have that problem. Someone posted awhile back saying someone's washroom fan was always on and it was driving him nuts.

naaa .. I'm pretty sure the continously running fan is the Energy Recovery Ventilator (ERV) feature in the suite, rather than a malfunction ... usually you don't see a lot of condos with built-in ERVs because they are costly and usually are provided in nicer projects

If it is...umm...I rather have a downgrade :p I've used the washroom at WestOne's amenities on the lower floor which had the fan running constantly too. I was trying to find the switch but when I flipped it, the fan just went from faster to slower. If I had to listen to that all day, it would drive me crazy.

Concord Park Place

I've been enjoying reading this particular forum.

I'm thinking of investing in Concord Park Place. Their townhouses are offering "upgrades" including a Black Diamond kitchen upgrade (7500), which includes backsplash, valance lighting, island granite side panel, frosted cabinet doors and pantry, as well as mirrored closets (1200). These are free upgrades for townhouse buyers that are not offered to condo buyers.

I have NO idea whether these townhouse upgrades are worth these prices. Apparently mirrored closets are very popular, but not seeing a picture of them, aren't they kind of dated looking?

As an aside I wonder why so many units were available when the first sales were in 2007, makes me worried I'm being left with the bad seeds! The salesman said that the market has only been starting to recover this year and that's why they had units left over. Am I being too suspicious? The townhouses are actually cheaper per square foot but I wonder if that is because they are on the ground floor and don't have the views and particularly the windows.

Your Input Please

Hoping I would get some advice on 2 items...

First item, I get an island with my unit, but because the builder's project manager decided to cut costs wherever possible @ Solaris ... the capped ceiling outlet (typically standard in most condos to allow pendant light over the kitchen island) has been eliminated and is offered as a $500 upgrade instead, is this worth it? I'm somewhat undecided to 'upgrade' or not, because if the upgrade was done, it would just 'appear' as a standard item found in typical condos elsewhere ... hence a lost cause

Second item, the below image shows the standard 3x4 backsplash tiles that are offered at Solaris, do you think it is worth a $550 upgrade to go with the 4x16 tiles instead shown in the second image (I have no doubt it looks WAY better, but is it worth it?)

Friends tell me to go with upgrades that are obvious (ie: under cabinet lighting) ... so in this case the additional capped ceiling outlet and upgraded tiles is really not 'obvious' upgrades, it is not like no backsplash tiles is offered in the 'standard' unit ... what do you think?

Standard Tile
IMG_5927.JPG

Upgraded Tile
IMG_5909.JPG

Last edited:
The upgraded backsplash uses fewer tiles, thus fewer gaps between tiles, so less work needed in cleaning the gaps. Other than that, both look the same to me, so I would probably stick with the standard.

However, if they offer a whole piece of tempered glass then I would probably go for it, looks nice, feels smooth, very easy to clean ;).

The upgraded backsplash uses fewer tiles, thus fewer gaps between tiles, so less work needed in cleaning the gaps. Other than that, both look the same to me, so I would probably stick with the standard.

However, if they offer a whole piece of tempered glass then I would probably go for it, looks nice, feels smooth, very easy to clean ;).

probey ... I had the exact same though about 'a whole piece of tempered glass' and asked about pricing ... and they told me it was ~$1,400, I was like WOW .... given the costs, I declined

$1400.....I must say 'WOW', what a jaw dropping price!

Finding contractor to do it after occupancy will be a lot cheaper than that.

Hoping I would get some advice on 2 items...

First item, I get an island with my unit, but because the builder's project manager decided to cut costs wherever possible @ Solaris ... the capped ceiling outlet (typically standard in most condos to allow pendant light over the kitchen island) has been eliminated and is offered as a $500 upgrade instead, is this worth it? I'm somewhat undecided to 'upgrade' or not, because if the upgrade was done, it would just 'appear' as a standard item found in typical condos elsewhere ... hence a lost cause

Second item, the below image shows the standard 3x4 backsplash tiles that are offered at Solaris, do you think it is worth a $550 upgrade to go with the 4x16 tiles instead shown in the second image (I have no doubt it looks WAY better, but is it worth it?)

Friends tell me to go with upgrades that are obvious (ie: under cabinet lighting) ... so in this case the additional capped ceiling outlet and upgraded tiles is really not 'obvious' upgrades, it is not like no backsplash tiles is offered in the 'standard' unit ... what do you think?

i must say that i usually don't see the back of the refridgerator tiled when it's surrounded by gables ... that's about the same amount of tilework as the backsplash.

if you like the larger tiles, any chance that the developer will forego the stuff behind the fridge and give you the upgraded tiles just for the backsplash?
(300 sf standard vs. 150 sf upgrade)

it saves them the labour which could be used towards the tiles. :D

I like the standard tile better; maybe you can ask them to stagger the pattern (you might have to pay extra).

I'd stick with the standard tile, get the overhead light upgrade (as it's something you can't do after the fact and is considered standard by buyers), but not get the undercabinet lighting as it's something 99% of people won't notice (most showings are during the day anyway - and you'll have a light above your stove that will help).

I would, however, get SS appliances if they aren't available as standard. I would also tell them NOT to tile the far wall or behind the fridge - it looks horrible. Any partial wall tiling shouldn't happen as it breaks the line and looks sloppy imo.

The vast majority of upgrades are unnoticed by buyers and simply money down the drain. Save the money you want to spend on upgrades and update in a few years before you sell.

Back