News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I agree with trading in the back splash behind the fridge for the upgraded back splash under the cabinets if the builder is willing. The only mandatory upgrade is the ceiling light. You need the wires there because you can't do it after.

Any other upgrades are just fluff.

I'd stick with the standard tile, get the overhead light upgrade (as it's something you can't do after the fact and is considered standard by buyers), but not get the undercabinet lighting as it's something 99% of people won't notice (most showings are during the day anyway - and you'll have a light above your stove that will help).

I would, however, get SS appliances if they aren't available as standard. I would also tell them NOT to tile the far wall or behind the fridge - it looks horrible. Any partial wall tiling shouldn't happen as it breaks the line and looks sloppy imo.

The vast majority of upgrades are unnoticed by buyers and simply money down the drain. Save the money you want to spend on upgrades and update in a few years before you sell.

I'd agree with going standard backsplash... It's probably cheaper to install one of your own liking afterwards (from what I've heard from friends, it's pretty easy as long as you have access to a tile cutter).

As for the undermount kitchen cabinet lights... I'd choose to have them if you really like them. Im not sure how easy this would be to do afterwards, and while yes... buyers probably wont notice, -it's a nice feature to have if you end up living in the unit.

thank you everyone for your input .... it is very much appreciated ! :D

I agree with trading in the back splash behind the fridge for the upgraded back splash under the cabinets if the builder is willing. The only mandatory upgrade is the ceiling light. You need the wires there because you can't do it after.

nope the builder isn't willing to trade one for the other, apparently the tile behind the fridge is only done around the edge (1-2 rows of tiles) where the fridge will not block the wall from sight (see below) ... no credits are available

IMG_5907.JPG

The fridge wall is so cheesy.

It looks like the ceiling outlet is in place already? If there's wiring there already, you can just buy your own ceiling light for the kitchen. It's not very expensive.

there is one ceiling outlet in the kitchen (for the track lighting) ... but if anyone wants a drop pendant light centred over the island, there would be an entra cost for the additional capped outlet

Then you don't need any upgrades. The tracking light is good enough. You can shine the tracking light onto the island. If 3 tracking lights are still not enough light, you can get 4 or 5 :p No need to spend on unnecessary upgrades.

I'd agree with AKS. Unless an upgrade is necessary and not cosmetic it's always, always, always, cheaper to do it after. Even if you're going to live in a unit for a few years before selling, put the money aside you would've spent, let it sit in an account, and in five years when you actually need to redo the tile or whatever, it's there waiting for you. Remember, after about 3 years, a suite will start to need repairs (flashing around heating unit, cracks in walls, regrouting, etc.). With the builders exorbitant markup (200-1000%), it's just smarter this way, unless, as stated above - it's one of those absolute needs and you won't be happy without it. Have fun in your unit!!

yikes, that isn't much tile work around the fridge - i don't see the point of just doing the border .... originally i thought they did the whole area.

as you said, no credit given since there's definitely not much there in the first place.

if you like a glass backsplash, any chance the developer will allow you to supply the material and they do the install for free ?
(you already paid for it)

if you like a glass backsplash, any chance the developer will allow you to supply the material and they do the install for free ?
(you already paid for it)

nope that's for sure not an option ... its impossible to get the builder to install things suppplied externally and ask them to do it with no labour charges ... not gonna happen ... certainly they'll maximize whatever revenue possible from upgrades they can from purchasers ;)

With respect to the backsplash tiles, it appears as though the standard tiles are just that, ceramic tiles. The ones in the second picture appear to be the highly desirable glass tiles.

I'm quite excited, my wife and I are going to do our colour selection tomorrow morning. We have $9K in 'free' upgrades, and although our suite comes well appointed, I have no doubt we'll be able to spend that and then some.

I'm happy that my colour selection with Tridel went quite well ... after all is said and done (thank you to all for your advice), I've decided to not go with the $500+ upgrade for 4x16 ceramic tiles, instead I just stuck with the standard 3x6 ceramic tiles but paid to have it installed in a subway-style pattern ... I was very pleasantly suprised I was only charged ~$100 for the modified tile installation request (considering subway-style tiles means more work + cutting vs the standard aligned tile installation)

The things I also decided on getting were:
  • ~$800 - added double bullnose square edge granite counter top
  • ~$630 - changed to undermount sink (single bowl)
  • ~$450 - added electrical outlet on island
  • ~$340 - extended down cabinetry over sink from 38cm to 78cm
  • ~$340 - changed cabinet door handles to 6" pull handle bars
  • ~$100 - install kitchen backsplash tiles 'subway-style'

Do these prices sound pretty reasonable ? :)

I bought a unit at Emerald city. If I want to get a smooth ceiling, do I tell them on the day where I will be choosing the finishing (they told me it will be 6 months before the occupancy date)?

How much do they usuallly cost?

Also, does anyone knows how much to upgrade to pot lights? How difficult it is to get an independent contractor does it for?

Also, does anyone knows how much to upgrade to pot lights? How difficult it is to get an independent contractor does it for?

Upgraded potlights are very expensive.. $300 to $800+ per light. But, if you have a concrete ceiling, I do not think they can be installed after construction.

aren't most condos have concrete ceiling?

I am not sure about percentages. Anyone else?

But, there are many condos, especially older ones, without concrete ceilings. Actually I know of one that is currently selling in Yorkville where the the owner is able to raise her ceiling height by 16-inches with renovation.

Back